DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site, I have a 2005 2500 5.7 Hemi with 180k. Very solid engine and seemingly good transmission but I haven’t been able to sell it. Now I’m thinking of adding some power and not sure what the best route would be. Many people have said supercharger but I’ve seen threads that said turbo would be a better choice. Also what other parts should I look into to make a well rounded build. And any recommendations for a tuner? Not looking for crazy amounts of power but want to make it exciting.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
At 180,000 miles that engine it tired and ready for a complete rebuild, if you really want to turn it into a forced induction engine than you need to contact a reputable shop that has experience in this kind of conversion, you don't just bolt on a supercharger or a turbo charger without taking into account the high cylinder pressures you will be introducing.

As for the difference between a supercharger and a turbo charger the supercharger will have immediate throttle response, a turbo charger will have turbo lag because the turbo charger has to spool up, you can do a two stage turbo charge system that will reduce turbo lag but you are starting to get into some serious engineering to make it all fit.

Do you have money that you can afford to spend on this project because this is not a nickel and dime project you are going to carry out. You are looking at a few thousand dollars to do this right.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
526 Posts
At 180,000 miles that engine it tired and ready for a complete rebuild, if you really want to turn it into a forced induction engine than you need to contact a reputable shop that has experience in this kind of conversion, you don't just bolt on a supercharger or a turbo charger without taking into account the high cylinder pressures you will be introducing.

As for the difference between a supercharger and a turbo charger the supercharger will have immediate throttle response, a turbo charger will have turbo lag because the turbo charger has to spool up, you can do a two stage turbo charge system that will reduce turbo lag but you are starting to get into some serious engineering to make it all fit.

Do you have money that you can afford to spend on this project because this is not a nickel and dime project you are going to carry out. You are looking at a few thousand dollars to do this right.
This.
And I recommend a supercharger for sure. Turbos work best on smaller engines.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Limited CTD
1,527 Posts
This.
And I recommend a supercharger for sure. Turbos work best on smaller engines.
Id' recommend the supercharger also but not because it doesn't work on larger engines but because of the simplicity of it. Two headers = two turbo's or some bastardized setup + intercooler + a ton of piping you don't have room for, etc. etc. etc. The cost would add up pretty quickly. Supercharger in comparison is very very simplistic. Most of the parts will easily bolt on and then you'll just need an ECU tune and you're up on boost.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
526 Posts
Yea, plus if you wanted a turbo it would need to be huge lol. Even if it's a twin scroll. SC is best option for many reasons.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For up to 14 lbs a S/C is best due to heat issues.after that belt drive issues kick in. I like a SC on the Hemi,the installation was pretty easy,pin the crank maf plugs injectors and making room for the intercooler.7 lbs to start insures the trans and driveline won’t be immediately snapped.
image.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts