DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a superchips 3845 programmer for my 2012 with 5.7. Trucks been a turd since I bought it. Zero guts for being a big v8! Will a programmer give me more low end while running 87 or do I have to run 91/93. Is it worth buying? I have zero experience with programmers

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't say what they do to the Ram's but I had a Pontiac G8 (6L) that I chipped and it was a night and day difference. Was well worth the money. I didn't buy a truck though to roast the tires. Might be worth it though if it helped MPG.

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK most of this is a cut and paste from another thread I posted in, but...

I just purchased a Superchips "FlashPaq" 3842 for my 2008 Ram 1500 with a 4.7L. I did a lot of research on it first, because I could have done a lot of other things with that much money and just kept driving my truck the way it was (which incidentally, I wasn't really UNhappy with). I will tell you upfront that the results of my weeks of reading forums and watching videos was that for the average Joe, the Superchips unit is the way to go. There are a ton of options to change the tune of your truck (Diablo, custom tunes, etc.), but for me (and most), this is the best way.

Now, let me tell you. That Superchips 3842 Flashpaq made my 08 4.7L (stock with 310hp/330tq) feel like a Hemi. No exaggeration. And that's on the more conservative "87 Octane" setting. I can't wait to play with the "91 Performace" and "93 Performance" settings later this spring and summer. You can run any one you want, but I'm impressed with the 87 tune. A guy like you who isn't satisfied with a stock HEMI may need to go all the way and run the 93 Performance tune. Go for it dude!

I managed to get my Flashpaq for $180 because I bought it on eBay from a guy in Canada and the exchange rate is in our favor right now. $180 for a $250 tuner, brand new in the box and man let me tell you, this thing WORKS. Best investment I think I could make for power. This makes cold air intakes and cat-back seem silly and amateurish. I have stock EVERYTHING and the ol' girl cooks.

I mentioned in another post that the main thing seems to be that the torque has increased (maybe it's a modification in the application of the torque management system). The truck requires just a fraction of the throttle tip in from before to MOVE. Doesn't downshift as much, just pulls and pulls and pulls.

And while enjoying this (immensely) I have watched my fuel mileage increase tick after tick over the week or so I've had the tune installed. I'm up to 13.2 now where I was at 11.4 - 11.8 before.

Anyway - can't say enough about it. I know Superchips will tell you that the Flashpaq won't open up some engines like the 08+ 4.7's, but I have to think it'll still help you quite a bit.

If you're unhappy with the power that your HEMI is putting down, you may never be satisfied...haha. But I'd say it's worth every penny and if you can snap one up for under $200 like I did, even more so. They WORK, plain and simple.

·
Registered
23 Posts
talking about two completely different animals between an 08 and 11 up.
i have an 11 and tried the DIABLO.
the torque management kills the hemi.
i can't spin a tire from dead stop and the same truck with a v-six in it will.
i know cause i have both.
im die hard Mopar and i have never been more disappointed in performance than with this truck.
runs fine after you get into the gears.
they do it to keep from trashing the less than adequate trans and POS rear end.
i have already had to have that replaced at 75000 miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it's any help, I have a 2012 2500 with the 5.7 and I run the Diablo Sport trinity. Best bang for your buck in my opinion. You can pick up a brand new one for <$600 and it offers a good variety of tunes for what ever you may be lacking, or you can even set a custom tune to your liking. I usually keep mine on MPG saver through the week or long trips, and then put a hot tune or racing tune in it for some occasional weekend "hot rodding". Does great for me! I would recommend a larger exhaust for a performance tune (if you dont already have one) to help keep the temps low. Hope this helps

·
Registered
46 Posts
since they are a site sponsor i'll throw this out to you. Basically the 3842 without the name.
http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/truxp-xtune-performance-tuner

now the 3845 has a faster processor so you dont have to wait as long. I was going to get it til I saw this. For the $$$ I couldnt pass it up
I just checked this unit out from your link...seems like a good price. Will it turn the MDS system off? Just installed an MBRP dual exhaust system and it sounds terrible when in MDS.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at buying a superchips 3845 programmer for my 2012 with 5.7. Trucks been a turd since I bought it. Zero guts for being a big v8! Will a programmer give me more low end while running 87 or do I have to run 91/93. Is it worth buying? I have zero experience with programmers
I have a 3840 that I used on my 2012 5.7, until I sold the truck. I took the programming off and the tuner is, according to Superchips, good to go. I can't PM you, because my post count is too low, but maybe you can PM me, and I can then reply? $150.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 3840 that I used on my 2012 5.7, until I sold the truck. I took the programming off and the tuner is, according to Superchips, good to go. I can't PM you, because my post count is too low, but maybe you can PM me, and I can then reply? $150.
Does the 3840 turn off the MDS?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts