DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Anyone went from an SUV to a truck but then had regrets?

I was looking at a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. Also a used 2015 Dodge Rebel with 148,000 kms. Anyone think the kms are too high?

I don't off road, don't tow anything, wouldn't use the truck bed. Just Costco runs. LOL.

Never driven a truck before but would like something different than a SUV.

Anyone purchased a truck but then went back to an SUV?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you are worried about it, get a hard tonneau cover like an ARE LSX series. Then you have the truck and a protected bed to use like a SUV.

Another big plus to a hard cover, no one ever asks you to haul or move big things because they think it is too hard to remove.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
You might want to go rent a truck for a few days first.
A truck rides/handles/feels different than a SUV.
SUV will usually get a bit better mpg, might be quieter, might ride smoother, handle a bit more nimble and is more soccer mommish :)

That is quite a few kms on that Rebel, I would hope there is a huge price difference between those 2 trucks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you make your big shopping trips with the whole family? Does it rain too much or is it too hot to put stuff in the bed? The upper trim level late-model Rams have the fold up back seats and folding load floor, making them very useful for large hauls. The crew cabs have a huge amount of back seat room, comparable to the back of a mid-size SUV.

As mentioned a bed cover can be used, or even a bed cap to protect cargo from the weather or theft..
I think you will find the bed more useful the longer you own it. Bikes, garden supplies, sand, BBQ grills, occasional furniture, no problem!
I went from a large sedan (Cadillac) to my Ram crew cab and only wonder how I did without a truck for so long!

But as already mentioned, do test drive a truck a while or rent one so you know the ride. The Ram 1500 has the smoothest ride of all 1/2 tons due to the rear coil springs. I certainly cannot complain!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I have both, the SUV is better for carrying the dogs. The truck is fine for it but then they take up the back seat so any cargo has to go in the bed.

Most truck owners don't use their bed frequently, that's why tonneaus are so popular

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The Ram will hold all of our Costco / BJ's purchases with ease and a tonneau cover protects everything in inclement weather. I had a 2005 Durango prior to my Rams and it had plenty of room for people and cargo, but the cargo had to be clean and not too bulky.
I liked being able to fit 7 or 8 passengers in the Durango but it wasn't often we would need to fit more than 7 people so we opted for a truck. The truck bed has been far more useful than the extra seating.
We also have a 2013 Grand Cherokee, which is very nice, but it doesn't stand a chance at hauling our large shopping trips. As Thunderhorse mentioned, it is the preferred mode of transportation for our dog, but mostly because I don't like the dog hair in my truck ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went from a beautiful 2012 Laramie Crew Cab RAM to a new 2017 Journey Crossroad SUV. Kept it for 5,000 miles and traded it in for a new 2018 RAM Quad Cab Harvest Edition (Big Horn) 4x4. Lost a lot of money and am happy again with my RAM.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I definitely couldn't go from my Ram (or Durango) to a Journey. I don't like FWD at all

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I like the height of the Ram, i can look over most SUVs
I can see much further down the road with the extra height
My current Ram has the small diesel engine & with the windows cracked, i can't hear the engine
I have the hard folding tonneau cover & my tools are hidden & secure, yet i have removed & installed the tonneau by myself, when i had to.
I am only 5' 8", 290 lbs. & 75 yrs old

I do have side steps to help getting in & out of the truck

I don't even like riding in the dealerships Courtesy Van, i just don't feel as comfortable as when i am in the Ram

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had a Journey for a rental and did not like it. Very cramped and it doesn't have the high ride hieght of my Rams.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
SUV stands for; Stupid Useless Vehicle
SUV`s wont do what i need them to do. Thats why i drive trucks!
I might try one when i retire soon... nahhhhh, i dont care for them.

Absolutely NO regrets!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts