DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick backgound, I have a 2010 Ram 1500 4.7L 4x4, I use it like a truck hitting some nasty roads for work. Nothing too crazy but roads that are pretty punishing. I keep snapping Sway Bar End Links. Generally go through one or two sets a year from the roads. I have worked through so many different ones and have run out of new ones to try. I have now just been running with them snapped and in the city on hard pavement in a sharp fast turn it is sketchy to say the least. So anyone have any suggestions? I don't tow anything, generally speaking I am not carrying a lot of weight, but the roads are very rough

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried:

Moog, proforged, acdelco, stock mopar, mevotech, tuff country, bds … the only thing I can think of is possibly going to a set of quick disconnects but I was hoping that the independent suspension would hold up better than it has been

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you're talking about the front ones correct ? I had a similar issues with stock aftermarket replacements, i'm not kidding the bushings wouldn't last me a session of fast washboard runs in the desert at 60-70mph.

I fixed the issue running SPXMaxx Sway bar links part# SPX-SMX-1300, zero issues with them going bad regardless how bad the roads are.They're tad noisy though but they can take abuse. They have poly bushings so they'll last a long time assuming you don't crush the bushings at install time. Pay attention to the instructions that tell you how to install them and how the bushing should look like after install. Avoid tighetning the upper nut in an effort to keep them quiet. they will click no matter what, and they should be a tad loose, you'll see what i'm talking about once you install them.

Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

The noise i'm referring to comes from the sleeve tube hitting the washer top or bottom thus refrain from trying to fix that tightneting the nut at the top. Once the bushing is compressed more the tube will continue to slide in the shaft and hit the washers at top or bottom and make a click noise. And it'll make you believe that you need to tighten the nut even more. All you'll be doing is keep compressing the bushing until you crush it all.
The instructions say there should be 7-9 open threads at the top of the nut so that's enough for the link to do their job.The noise is not bad at all unless you have German Sheppard ears :)

Have fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh shoot! That looks exactly like what I am looking for ! Thank you! And yes, it is definitely the front ones I was talking about, for some reason the back suspension has held up really really well with all my abuse.
… The last set I snapped wasn't at the bushings, it was in the centre shaft that split.

That's crazy that desert roads punish suspension like that. I run remote northern Canadian "roads" … Think the TV show Ice Road Truckers but worse and all year instead of just in the winter.

·
Registered
310 Posts
rsmram,

Great suggestion and what I am also wanting. Haven't been able to decide who's but your testimony moves me to the SPXMaxx.

I went to their site and they have a set for my leveled 4x4, SPXMaxx Sway bar links part# SPX-SMX-1300L. Your truck looks leveled, are you using their stock size 1300 or their leveled size 1300L?

Thanks again

·
Registered
121 Posts
rsmram,

Great suggestion and what I am also wanting. Haven't been able to decide who's but your testimony moves me to the SPXMaxx.

I went to their site and they have a set for my leveled 4x4, SPXMaxx Sway bar links part# SPX-SMX-1300L. Your truck looks leveled, are you using their stock size 1300 or their leveled size 1300L?

Thanks again
I’ve had both and I’m currently using.the stock length ones. You get an extra 1/2” of compression with the L ones. I’m running 37’s with mostly 2.5-2.75” lift so anything that Helps and prevent the tires from kissing the fender lips is good in my case :)
Also I like the sway bar angle a little better with the stockers. I think the L ones might be better for a 4” lift.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got theSPXMaxx L (per their suggestion) and very impressed with the quality. I have a 2 1/4" front leveled. The stockers were working fine but these give better clearance and travel. Not sure I really need the SPXMaxx but so glad I did it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put on the stock ones from rsmram suggestion and I am running a 2 1/2" lift level. Hit the roads that have been snapping them and I am more than happy with the results!

Just a quick thank you for the suggestion and fix!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts