DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to have a problem with my truck at highway speeds. It kinda rocks back and forth. I have had this problem a couple of times when I have a lot of weight in the bed. Now it seems like it is doing it with nothing in the back . What causes it and how do I get rid of it?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Are your shocks worn out? I'd bet something suspension related

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Another thing it could be would be sway bar end links and/or bushings. I'd get under there and start tugging on things

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Some Brake & Alignment Shops either have monthly promos in a coupon book or they do Free inspections as a courtesy, hoping to get your business

My local shop does it as Customer Relations Courtesy, also they are the best shop in town

They will tell you about anything they find that is or may cause you problems
Then its your choice whether or not to have them repair it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't noticed anything that seems loose or worn out. It only happens in the rear of the truck.(well that is where it seems to be) It is like a rocking back and forth. It doesn't happen all the time which confuses me. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Do you have 1 or both of the bars right behind the differential cover, they go from side to side

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I would suspect the shocks are worn; my dad had a van that had an absolutely horrible sway in the rear end and the culprit was bad shocks. The shocks were changed and all was well again.

If all your suspension components are original it's worth checking them all out, but I'd start with shocks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have 1 or both of the bars right behind the differential cover, they go from side to side

Yes I have both of them. They look a little thicker then what you are showing me. It might just be the picture. I have bought a set of bilstein 5100 shocks for the rear and will see.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little update to anyone who was interested. I put a set of bilstein 5100 on and are still having the swaying issue. So I am getting a set of springs from Tuftruck and putting them in also. I wanted to beef up my springs anyway and this gives me the excuse to do it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My 2017 did this from new. I added airlift 1000's to the coils and that helped but I believe my primary problem is the crappy SRA's. I have a set of KO2's being installed on Friday and will see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
My 2017 did this from new. I added airlift 1000's to the coils and that helped but I believe my primary problem is the crappy SRA's. I have a set of KO2's being installed on Friday and will see if that helps.
What tires did you have in the snow last winter?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Got the truck at the end of January and only had a couple light snowfalls until spring. The SRA's were ok because they were new but they are terrible now in just rain and they only have 6000 miles on them.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Got the truck at the end of January and only had a couple light snowfalls until spring. The SRA's were ok because they were new but they are terrible now in just rain and they only have 6000 miles on them.
Gotcha. Looking forward to seeing how the KO2s do in the snow for you. I know they have the little snowflake on them but I haven't really been able to test them in snow.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had firestone winters on my Z71 and they did good. We have a chance of a winter storm tomorrow in the area, so may get to see the SRA's handle the snow for 1 day before the KO2's go on Friday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just another update. I put in the new springs and the problem still persists. The springs were very easy to put in and they work well. At the moment they lifted the rear of my truck about an inch. I towed my trailer and the rear hardly came down. Had about 1000 lbs of wood in it today and didn't even notice it. The ride is practically the same without a load. Just a tad rougher but not much. Don't know what I am going to do next. Any suggestions???

1 - 20 of 40 Posts