DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Well after 12,500 ks i made the switch to synthetic oil. Got my bill and man $143.00 later ouch.

I new it would cost me more but more then double the price of regular oil. Oh well it should be better for my truck.

Sudsy40

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Got my bill and man $143.00 later ouch.
Holy crap where was this? I just spent $150 on 24 qts of amsoil and 5 oil filters that will last 1 yr+ for my truck and 1.5yr+ for my wife's car...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah, you'll save a ton doing it yourself. I don't even have to raise my truck to do oil changes. Filter location isn't as bad as some report - you could do it yourself and switch to the KN filters that have the lug on the end - makes the filter VERY easy to remove.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yep takes me a whole 10 minutes, at most to change mine. I don't know about the hemi but the 4.7L filter location is easy to get to. I'm done before you are even at the shop...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yep takes me a whole 10 minutes, at most to change mine. I don't know about the hemi but the 4.7L filter location is easy to get to. I'm done before you are even at the shop...
Yeah, my hemi is easy, but it is 2WD if that makes any difference. I saw some posts about how difficult the filter access was, but I didn't notice that on mine. I do put a small, shallow plastic pan under the filter and on top of a steering component and let the filter and its circuit drain down for a few minutes before completely removing the filter, and this keeps the mess at bay.

I'm pretty much a proponent of good synthetic oil. I've torn down motorcycle and automotive engines run pretty much exclusively on synthetic, and I think there's a pattern of longer and better wear on most components. My GM 350 small block with 200,000 miles looked and mic'd out great when I turned it into a stroked 383. I sold the crank and rods for a good price, as they were practically in new spec. No, I'm not one of those "synthetic or die" guys, but it's darned good stuff. In motorcycles, especially dirt 4-strokes, I think it's an even better match to that harsh abuse.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I agree....I've seen my cams get worn pretty badly in my old suzuki high revving 4 cylinder motorcycle, even with synthetic. I cut change intervals in half and it never got any worse. it was my first experience with motorcycles, and I didn't realize how much hotter an air cooled engine runs and breaks down oil so fast.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I couldn't imagine paying someone to change my oil.

·
Registered
247 Posts
wow i'm not geting enough for mobil 1 oil change on these trucks that mean. i had customer complain about my 79.99 price. 7qts plus a napa oil filter. hmmm i must rethink my pricing

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
dude do it yourself. these puppies are up high enough off the ground and it isn't as hard as you think
Holy crap where was this? I just spent $150 on 24 qts of amsoil and 5 oil filters that will last 1 yr+ for my truck and 1.5yr+ for my wife's car...
Yeah, you'll save a ton doing it yourself. I don't even have to raise my truck to do oil changes. Filter location isn't as bad as some report - you could do it yourself and switch to the KN filters that have the lug on the end - makes the filter VERY easy to remove.
^^^^ Agree with all of the above. Got my case of Amsoil for $110.00 and I also change my own. It's easy, just keep reciepts.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Agreed, do it yourself and save the money. Should be easy enuff to get to. Hell I sit up no problem under mine when getting the filter off :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will not over hype the dyno vs synthetic oil but I will share my opinion.

I am probably one of a very few guys on this forum who is a propulsion system engineer, one of the things Iwas heavily involved in a few years back was a very complex internal bearing failure.

We spent two years and a few million dollars on this problem. We worked with Mobil1, Royal Purple, Silkolene (UK), and even Joe Gibbs racing oil, among others.

Too keep it short here is how my work may relate to your next oil purchase.

Synthetic oils is superior to dyno oil. That said the biggest threat to lubrication is system design. The best oil in the world cannot overcome a constraint within the system.

It is unlikely that using your truck as intended can cause it to function in a mode that the oem recommended grade of oil is insufficient.

Further if you are operating your truck in such a mode that the oem oil is insufficient it is very unlikely that synthetic oil will be able to protect in a scenario where conventional oil fails.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree...Dodge gives me every other oil change free as long as I own it. When I do pay it is only $32.95. That alone makes it worth it! I'm also 57 yrs so I can't be bothered crawling under the truck, (been their-done that) breaking my balls and disposing of the oil.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Hello

Well after 12,500 ks i made the switch to synthetic oil. Got my bill and man $143.00 later ouch.

I new it would cost me more but more then double the price of regular oil. Oh well it should be better for my truck.

Sudsy40
you got ripped off guy. that is the price of a diesel oil change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
^^^^ Agree with all of the above. Got my case of Amsoil for $110.00 and I also change my own. It's easy, just keep reciepts.
What series of amsoil are you guys using? OE, XL? I was thinking of trying out the signature series when im due for my first oil change.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
What series of amsoil are you guys using? OE, XL? I was thinking of trying out the signature series when im due for my first oil change.
I'm using OE in my vehicles. I like to change the oil as often as possible. The OE stuff is good for whatever the manufacturer recommends. The XL stuff is supposed to be good for 10,000 miles or longer if recommended by manufacturer. The signature is supposed to be good for 25,000 miles. I'm using the wix filters too. I'm getting the OE oil for about the same cost as conventional oil and going to try to go at least 5,000 miles in my truck and 10,000 miles in my wife's car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm using OE in my vehicles. I like to change the oil as often as possible. The OE stuff is good for whatever the manufacturer recommends. The XL stuff is supposed to be good for 10,000 miles or longer if recommended by manufacturer. The signature is supposed to be good for 25,000 miles. I'm using the wix filters too. I'm getting the OE oil for about the same cost as conventional oil and going to try to go at least 5,000 miles in my truck and 10,000 miles in my wife's car.
Ya, i've always used amsoil in everything ive owned, including both my sport bikes. I have just never tried the signature series. My ram probably wont even see 8,000 miles a year, but i just want the piece of mind of "once a year oil changes".

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Ya, i've always used amsoil in everything ive owned, including both my sport bikes. I have just never tried the signature series. My ram probably wont even see 8,000 miles a year, but i just want the piece of mind of "once a year oil changes".
If you are going to do it once a year, I'd use the OE, or the XL at the most. No need to spend the extra couple bucks per qt when it's not needed, the OE and XL is still great stuff.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My purchase deal included tires for life providing I get my oil changes through them every 6K miles. I can request synthetic oil but will have to pay the extra cost. I have always used synthetic in the past but found no advantage in doing so since I never kept my vehicles past 4 years or 80K miles. In the back of my mind I figured the new owner of my vehicles got the benefit of the synthetic if he continued to use it. The dealer is going to change the oil back to oem when he puts it on the lot to sell. So I won't be using synthetic any more in my daily drivers. In my motorcycles and lawnmowers I will continue to use synthetic.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts