Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 300 miles on my 10 hemi. I am switching to synthetic. Should i wait to any given mileage to change the oil? It still has the original factory oil in it.

Please vote on the poll. thanks

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
If you want to change to synthetic now, it won't harm anything. The SRT-8 and Viper engines are factory filled with M1 synthetic.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I'm guessing you've probably read this already but make sure you use 5W-20 regardless of the brand you choose.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I'm a big supporter on synthetic and maintenance on anything. I run RP on everything in my Ram, and the only thing I have ever replaced was the EGR valve since I bought it new almost 6 years ago. I'm at almost 100k now, still has the same get up as when it was new. But like I said, I'm big on maintenance, even though it may have been premature, I changed plugs, did an intake service, rear end, tranny flush, and new shoes at 50k. Just did another tranny service about 3k ago, and looking to get some new shoes even though they have probably 10k left on them. She has never left me on the side of the road, so yeah, if its me, start it off right and get some synthetic in there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did the change, Chrysler had the original filter on so dang tight. Anyways truck runs smother IMO and it feels idk healthier, maybe its my mind, but anyways thanks for the help.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Well I did the change, Chrysler had the original filter on so dang tight. Anyways truck runs smother IMO and it feels idk healthier, maybe its my mind, but anyways thanks for the help.
The factory installed filters are always ungodly tight!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually got some free Valvoline sypower full synthetic. I used it, and according to Amsoils test, is actually appears to be a decent performer to amsoil in most test, so I can't complain. I may go Amsoil next time, the valvoline was not the best, but it was not the worst, better than a good portion of the test, but the valvoline was free so..
here is the test... http://www.amsoil.com/comparison/motor-oil.aspx

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just for my own knowledge, isn't the first oil change usually at about 1k to remove bits of metal that loosened up during the break in period? Been awhile since I had a new engine(1979), but that's what I seem to recall. Would it be advisable not to go too long on that first synthetic change(especially since it was free)?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just for my own knowledge, isn't the first oil change usually at about 1k to remove bits of metal that loosened up during the break in period? Been awhile since I had a new engine(1979), but that's what I seem to recall. Would it be advisable not to go too long on that first synthetic change(especially since it was free)?
well it was about 310 miles on the motor, and I didn't see any shavings or any conatmination. My Bro's truck (09) hemi had his first change at 2500 miles and he said there was no shavings so, idk maybe new engines are different.

But I am goingto change it to Amsoil on my next chage at 2500-3k miles anyhow.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You don't have to wait to 1,000 miles to switch, obviously, and today's engines already have a short break in period on them anyway.

It's way different today than it was years ago. They do recommend that you do, or don't do, certain things the first 300 - 500 miles per the owners manual.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts