DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching throughout this forum for a couple of weeks trying to figure out which combination of sub, amp, and box would suit me best. So far I've seen a lot of good feedback on the fox acoustics 12" box. The only issue I have is on the subs. I see a lot of guys running JL's when Fox says that the Alpine Type R is the sub to use. Do any of ya'll have any first hand experience hearing the 12" Alpine Type R's in the Fox Box? I'm looking for some advice as far as which sub is going to be better between the JL W3 and the Alpine Type R in the Fox Box. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

By the way, my truck is equipped with the Alpine "premium" sound already.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see nothing on there that relates to sounds systems in any way. I clicked on the link and it brought up some thug "weedahoe" youtube channel. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
406 Posts
What are you looking for in a system, just to be loud and piss of neighbors, or are you looking for clarity out of your subs? I have heard type Rs in person and they are more just loud imo, also for what they cost $$$$ you could probably go woith a better sub..........RE DD Sundown Fi etc, it all comes down to what you want to spend $$$$ and what your goal is...................I am going away from under the seat box on my 2009 Crew Cab, it just wasnt meeting my expectations and going back to a custom box, a center console to seat box, with that setup I have a lot more options on sub to air space need, plus I will still have my two outside seats for riders........Anyways the more info you throw out there the better the responses..................

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pricewise I was impressed by the 12" Type R's being $120 each after my discount. That's what was recommended by Fox Acoustics with their box, but have you heard the Sundown in an under the seat setup? I'm looking for a good bit of bass but definitely want quality. I had 2 nice Cerwin Vega subs in my Tahoe that sounded very good and want as close to that as possible in the truck. They weren't the Strokers but they were the closest ones to that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thats is a great deal on the type Rs, if you going dual 12s in that fox box I am sure you would be pleased........... I have not heard them in a fox box, but did a general yahoo search type r/fox box, found this review for you

"""
well got everything installed 2 10 alpine type r in the fox box powered buy a kenwood excelon 812d and this thing frigin pounds i'm real happy with the box and everything else just thought i would tell everyone what a great prouduct joe sells. thanks again for all the info you fellow dt members gave me. :D :rck:"""""""""""""

Hope this helps you out some, that came from another dodge truck forum

·
Registered
406 Posts
I know I am running a probox loaded, and compared to my previous alpine type s in custom box, the probox dont stand a chance...........This is email from probox saying there sub is built to exact specs as JLw6 etc

The ProBox PRO-10's have 2.5" voice coils in both SVC and DVC 4ohm. Thats the same size motor that you will find on a JLW6 or Kicker CVX or Kicker L7 motor, however our sub is designed to the enclosure formula and it fits the mounting depth allowed. Call for tuning instructions for sure(cell).

All I know in the end, is my under the seat box leaves a lot to be desired..........But in the end each person has there own idea of what sounds good, some want quality, some want loud, some want mix etc................But I know the type Rs are loud so they should not let you down there and the quality was decent, for the price I would buy them and give it a whirl, good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that info man. The Fox Box claims 1.55 cubic feet of space on each side, is that not enough room for a good quality sound? When you say you had Alpine Type S aren't those of a much lesser quality than the R? I definitely don't want to do anything but under the seat due to keeping the truck stock looking inside. I just want a nice quality bass with some good bump to it. I wish people would take HD videos of their setups in the Fox Box so I could see first hand.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I had the S and yes it was lower, but I had a custom box built to the sub, with a matched amp and it really sounded great, lows highs and also it was loud. Now take the Probox setup duals, a clone of the w6, pushing it with a 1400rms amp in a probox under seat box, the alpine system blew this one away..............I would think you will be fine on air space, you need to find someone with the type r, maybe one of the subwoofer forums, they will have guys there that will be able to tell you exactly what air space the type r's like.................In the long run you will be fine, if you like the foxbox with the Rs great, if not sale the box for 60 and have a custom box built for the R's..............

Im surprised no one hear hasnt chimed in with this setup fox/R's

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I just couldn't quite pick up on if you were or weren't suggesting the Alpine Type R's but I'm glad you recommend them. What would be the benefit of having a custom built box for the 2? If they have to go under the seat wouldn't the fox box be considered a custom box? They make them specifically for these trucks....not just an SUV box fit. I'm just not very knowledgable in this stuff, I know engines :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well the fox box is just a generic box, one sixe fits all kind of deal, no matter what sub you put in there, there is only X amount of air space...........Now if you go to a box builder in your area and have a box built that goes from your floor in the rear behind center console to the top of your seat, which leaves room for two passengers he can build it, port it etc for what you are looking for..........Like if you like rap and bascially a bass head he can design the box, air space, the port etc to get the max out of the sub for the sound you are looking for............A lot of true bass heads will actually build a box first for what they are wanting to acomplish, then find the sub that fits that niche and the box..............The Alpine type Rs will be loud, more the the aggravate your neighbor speaker and not as clear as other subs, but i think it is a nice mix of a sub between the two............

What music do you like the and listen to the most, once you answer that, then that answers if you want BOOM BOOM loud a mile down the road, or clarity of the sub hits, not all subs fit both niches, neither do all boxes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I see, I listen to rap and country. I'd plan on turning down the subs for country obviously. I'm looking more for quality than boom, but I do want a lot more boom than the stock 8" provides.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also how would 2 12" Cerwin Vega VMax be in there? I've had them in my 06 Tahoe Z71 and they sounded incredible.

·
Registered
406 Posts
On the amp, one thing I learned the hard way is more is better, but will it push the Rs,yes, and sound good doing it im sure.. I have no idea on the Vmax, never heard them in person, what kind of air space were you pushing in tahoe with those VS what the foxbox will offer?

·
Registered
406 Posts
PM this member Yourself, seen in that foxbox thread that is active right now, he had some alpine type Rs in a foxbox, he could give you a very good view of them im sure

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This is the amp again, my buddy said that at 2 ohms it will put out 750 watts rms to each sub bridged....Is that true? Shouldn't that be more than enough for the Alpine Type R's? I don't want to get something too weak as I've heard it's better for the amp to have more power than the subs are capable of and just set the amp a little lower.

They have a new model out that is the 1000/1v2, but this should be near the same.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1170_JL-Audio-1000-1.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts