I only use Sirius radio, i wonder if they have that option too

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i had the 3" or 5" radio, that would be a nice unit

I wonder if you would still be able to use the steering wheel controls

I only use Sirius radio, i wonder if they have that option too
After watching a video and reading up on it, you still retain everything you had before the install minus Uconnect and Sirius. I stream music but when I'm not I only use sat radio. In the comment section of one of their videos the guy said they are currently working on a SiriusXM retainment module and look to have it out soon. I'm probably going to order one but will wait until they sort out the Sat radio function.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ordered today

I just ordered the 2nd Generation unit for my 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman. It should arrive Saturday FedX. I will take pictures . It seems like it is a really straight forward installation. Along with offering me more of the options I really want. The ability to operate it more lake a tablet in my truck it something that I really was looking for. Not to be tied down to the UConnect. From my conversation with Linkswell they should have a Sirius connection via USB if one chooses/opts/requires direct Sirius vs APP.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ordered the 2nd Generation unit for my 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman. It should arrive Saturday FedX. I will take pictures . It seems like it is a really straight forward installation. Along with offering me more of the options I really want. The ability to operate it more lake a tablet in my truck it something that I really was looking for. Not to be tied down to the UConnect. From my conversation with Linkswell they should have a Sirius connection via USB if one chooses/opts/requires direct Sirius vs APP.
Cool I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I emailed back and forth with a vendor asking questions. He did say that since the you can use the web browser and app store on the unit that you could access Sirius radio that way. That's one of my hangups about getting one right now because I stream and listen to Sat radio about 50/50. I'm also curious about the hands free calling function and clarity. I've seen comments about the 1st Gen echoing really bad but supposedly they changed everything adding a different program to fix it with the 2nd Gen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2nd Gen

Yes, the 2nd Gen is suppose to have ALLOT of improvements. I am also interested in the Sound quality as I do Allot of hands free calling. I am also adding my Steering Wheel controls Friday or Saturday. My unit is currently in Eden ID on Fedx truck. I did get the IGo Nav also since there are times here in WV & Ohio I have NO cellular coverage. So just another layer of security for me between WAZE, Google Maps & IGo. They did take away Mirror because of issues with Apple IOS, however, they stated they are working on fix for the 2nd Gen, since I had Android auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unit arrived and Installation

Well it arrived and is installed. Between the adding buttons to my steering wheel and the unit it was nearly 6 hours. Some of that was also adding a front camera to my truck. Also I spent at least 1 hour trouble shooting usb ports NOT working. Not a bad installation just ALLOT of cord to plug in. What makes it difficult is NOT allot of room/wire length to be able to plug in. The reason is there is not allot of room either to put these wires once you tuck unit back into hole. Removing old bezel and installing into Bezel easy. Routing mic, DVR camera, front camera all easy. When installing the wires that are supplied with the unit they are keyed however can you can put a 8 pin into a 10 pin slot. Since you are doing this near blindly you cannot tell which caused me not to have USB ports (trucks native/plus 1 extra given). Once unit powered up and setup proper Climate controls, had to change language input. It was still Chinese, however all other writing was English.
My Tradesman cam with camera in Rear Mirror. So had to spice into wire on Passenger A Pillar for connecting factory rear camera to new head unit. I have not been able to play much with it. So will be able to detail more later. Had to spend some Family time. I do HIGHLY recommend ADCmobile.com as they are the one I purchased it from and call for assistance. Oh ya also new radio controls on steering wheel do work with this radio.
I am trying to upload pics. But having issues. Will read more on proper way later

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it arrived and is installed. Between the adding buttons to my steering wheel and the unit it was nearly 6 hours. Some of that was also adding a front camera to my truck. Also I spent at least 1 hour trouble shooting usb ports NOT working. Not a bad installation just ALLOT of cord to plug in. What makes it difficult is NOT allot of room/wire length to be able to plug in. The reason is there is not allot of room either to put these wires once you tuck unit back into hole. Removing old bezel and installing into Bezel easy. Routing mic, DVR camera, front camera all easy. When installing the wires that are supplied with the unit they are keyed however can you can put a 8 pin into a 10 pin slot. Since you are doing this near blindly you cannot tell which caused me not to have USB ports (trucks native/plus 1 extra given). Once unit powered up and setup proper Climate controls, had to change language input. It was still Chinese, however all other writing was English.
My Tradesman cam with camera in Rear Mirror. So had to spice into wire on Passenger A Pillar for connecting factory rear camera to new head unit. I have not been able to play much with it. So will be able to detail more later. Had to spend some Family time. I do HIGHLY recommend ADCmobile.com as they are the one I purchased it from and call for assistance. Oh ya also new radio controls on steering wheel do work with this radio.
I am trying to upload pics. But having issues. Will read more on proper way later

Awesome man thanks for the update! Are you saying that prior to the install you did not have steering wheel control and had to add them? I know in the description on their site it said if you have steering wheel control that you retain them after install. I have factory back up cam do you retain that as well or do you have to install the camera they provide with the unit? I look forward to hearing more about it after you've played around with it. I really want to get one but I'd prefer not to downgrade from current unit if in fact you do run into issues with yours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did NOT have steering wheel controls and I added them also the same day. I did that with existing 3" screen. Made sure worked then started the Linkswell install.

As far as rear camera. It still ONLY showed in rear view mirror. However I found a hack to make it work. Shows on mirror and radio
https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen2-t-style-radio-for-2013-18-ram/
Choose tech tips will see my hack.

The BREAKING news for today is... Drove with my unit for 1 hr 45 minutes. On the last 10 minutes smelled burning, then say white smoke coming from vent on left side of radio. Radio was still functioning. However, when got to destination would not ever turn off. Even with key gone, door open. Went and did my job, hoping my vehicle, that I have owned less then 2 weeks would not be burnt to ground upon coming back. It wasn't. So I carry tools with me and removed two screws to remove dash/bezel to see if was wires or unit that had burnt. Well ALL wires just fine but could smell burnt components from unit. Called Linkswell direct. I must say they are very concerned and are helping (good thing) We unplugged canbus adapter and that powered off unit. When plugged back in have no air coming from vents directly on dash, just by feet and defrost area. Have lost all steering wheel controls. Unit still bring up music, navigation, dvr, cameras. But anything to do with talking to RAM canbus DEAD.

They are going to ship a replacement unit along with some additional software updates, canbus adapter, all cabling. So I will REPLACE EVERYTHING once arrives. So have to wait a few days since that is West Coast and I am in West Virginia. So My current advice is GEN 2 is a work in progress. However I will accept me being a test. Some of the great features I was playing with was the collision avoidance and lane departure. All pretty accurate when I was on highway. Plus where all adjustable for distance, etc. I have not let me sour my taste of the unit because what I was doing with it for the trips was exactly what I was looking for in this unit. I will Keep you updated. Plus feel free to ask any questions. I will do my best.

Oh by the way I did also add front camera. Works great for parking, just hit camera and comes up. Choose Front or Rear... Completely different from DVR that comes with it too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did NOT have steering wheel controls and I added them also the same day. I did that with existing 3" screen. Made sure worked then started the Linkswell install.

As far as rear camera. It still ONLY showed in rear view mirror. However I found a hack to make it work. Shows on mirror and radio
https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen2-t-style-radio-for-2013-18-ram/
Choose tech tips will see my hack.

The BREAKING news for today is... Drove with my unit for 1 hr 45 minutes. On the last 10 minutes smelled burning, then say white smoke coming from vent on left side of radio. Radio was still functioning. However, when got to destination would not ever turn off. Even with key gone, door open. Went and did my job, hoping my vehicle, that I have owned less then 2 weeks would not be burnt to ground upon coming back. It wasn't. So I carry tools with me and removed two screws to remove dash/bezel to see if was wires or unit that had burnt. Well ALL wires just fine but could smell burnt components from unit. Called Linkswell direct. I must say they are very concerned and are helping (good thing) We unplugged canbus adapter and that powered off unit. When plugged back in have no air coming from vents directly on dash, just by feet and defrost area. Have lost all steering wheel controls. Unit still bring up music, navigation, dvr, cameras. But anything to do with talking to RAM canbus DEAD.

They are going to ship a replacement unit along with some additional software updates, canbus adapter, all cabling. So I will REPLACE EVERYTHING once arrives. So have to wait a few days since that is West Coast and I am in West Virginia. So My current advice is GEN 2 is a work in progress. However I will accept me being a test. Some of the great features I was playing with was the collision avoidance and lane departure. All pretty accurate when I was on highway. Plus where all adjustable for distance, etc. I have not let me sour my taste of the unit because what I was doing with it for the trips was exactly what I was looking for in this unit. I will Keep you updated. Plus feel free to ask any questions. I will do my best.

Oh by the way I did also add front camera. Works great for parking, just hit camera and comes up. Choose Front or Rear... Completely different from DVR that comes with it too.
Holy s**t that's crazy! I would've been a nervous wreck if I had to leave my truck after seeing smoke and not knowing where it came from. I emailed back and forth with the owner of ADC asking questions about it before I started this thread. I mentioned the other t style that a company out of Phoenix was selling and he said that his unit used different components. I know that unit out of Phoenix had a lot of issues and it's disappointing to hear that his Gen II is having major problems. I wonder if maybe they routed a wire in their harness wrong and it gave too much current to the component causing it to burn like that. I looked on their FB page and all the comments from their YouTube videos, I've never seen any negative comments so hopefully it is a defective component. I'm sure it won't be long until the major companies start making t style units (Alpine, Pioneer, etc.). Alpine makes that restyle unit and it's almost 4k so if any company develops one the price will be ridiculous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Removed unit from vehicle and it is definitely something burnt on the left rear inside of the unit. Can just smell the raw burnt components. The key is that it did NOT harm anything of my existing brand new trucks components. I installed factory radio and climate controls and everything is back to original. LinksWell is next day airing me another unit directly from them and there bench. That has some additional features I am wanting too... So there customer service/tech is right on this. They want to learn what it is/was doing. I definitely believe it was/is something with canbus communications. I am just wondering if there is something Unique to 2018 vs 17 and older. I have read and seen that 18's have additional bypass needed for certain items.
When get replacement unit I am changing ALL wiring harnesses and will see if have better luck. Again I am very pleased with Linkswell and there customer support.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Removed unit from vehicle and it is definitely something burnt on the left rear inside of the unit. Can just smell the raw burnt components. The key is that it did NOT harm anything of my existing brand new trucks components. I installed factory radio and climate controls and everything is back to original. LinksWell is next day airing me another unit directly from them and there bench. That has some additional features I am wanting too... So there customer service/tech is right on this. They want to learn what it is/was doing. I definitely believe it was/is something with canbus communications. I am just wondering if there is something Unique to 2018 vs 17 and older. I have read and seen that 18's have additional bypass needed for certain items.
When get replacement unit I am changing ALL wiring harnesses and will see if have better luck. Again I am very pleased with Linkswell and there customer support.
Man well that's good that it was all contained in the unit and didn't screw up any truck wiring. I'm sure they'll do everything possible to make you happy because they don't want it out there that a unit burned up in the vehicle especially since it's a brand new release.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How is the support for the truck settings normally accessed through the radio?

-K

·
Registered
16 Posts
replacement arrived

The replacement was next day aired to me. I installed and everything seems to be working that was suppose to. Minus new DVR feature. The Camera DVR that hangs on your mirror and records and does collision avoidance, lane departure does not come up at all. Just get a screen with circle & X through it. All promised features are working. We tried reloading two .apk for camera and still did not work. So I believe they are sending me a replacement camera. As they did not send one with the new unit. But ALL controls are working as should for heating and cooling from what I can see. I have another long day in truck driving so will see what happens today.

On the plus side I was able to load my email app and my work app on the unit and it functions flawlessly. Nice to have 10.4 screen vs my Samsung s9+ running my apps so can give updates, etc.

Yes, I am frustrated with a few of the issues (small) like automatic lights on all they time. NO Mirroring of phone onto screen. NOT being able to customize screen in pretty much any way, etc. But being an IT guy I understand the limitations, and the cautiousness of to much at once. So I am hopeful Linkswell will work with us the end users to make this a better product for all of us to enjoy. Specifically with updates/patches/etc

Oh by way SiriusXM app & Pandora app work flawlessly.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't understand the question. What do you mean?
The stock radios in our trucks have multiple screens of configuration settings for the truck. Whether headlights stay on for a time, interior lights, how the door locks function with the remote and many more. I was asking if this radio has the ability to adjust those settings.

-K

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, the Linkswell radio has a vehicle setting button which controls all the delay headlights, accessory power, etc. They do work also.

I took my 2500 Tradesman w/ GEN II for a long drive yesterday without issues. The IGo navigation works flawlessly. The Google maps, has some normal connectivity issues via a hot spot in rural WV & OH. Same with the WAZE but they DO work. The Sirrius XM loaded on system does not seem to work well. However the SirrusXM app on my phone streaming through Blue tooth works flawlessly. Plus that way uses Unlimited Cellular data vs HOT SPOT capped @ 10 for my carrier. The Pandora app on the unit worked fine. Also WEB browsing via Chrome works fine. Also my specific email and Work app works perfect.

So outstanding issues to me... The DVR camera does not still work, they are suppose to be shipping a replacement. The Automatic lights on my truck are on ALL the time. (ruins DTR lights working). Cannot mirror my phone contents on nice big screen with native android. (can use android auto {but I do not like])

Other wish list things, like even further customization to screens would be nice. Along with even faster screen changing screens. But for what I was looking for and like being on cutting edge this unit is great. When pulled into job site hit camera button saw front camera knew how far to pull in till hit other car in front of me. Could have multiple navigation app running and see different items that interested me. Could have my work application "ESP" and give them ETA updates, status updates, search new jobs, all perfect for me vs on phone.

:smileup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the Linkswell radio has a vehicle setting button which controls all the delay headlights, accessory power, etc. They do work also.

I took my 2500 Tradesman w/ GEN II for a long drive yesterday without issues. The IGo navigation works flawlessly. The Google maps, has some normal connectivity issues via a hot spot in rural WV & OH. Same with the WAZE but they DO work. The Sirrius XM loaded on system does not seem to work well. However the SirrusXM app on my phone streaming through Blue tooth works flawlessly. Plus that way uses Unlimited Cellular data vs HOT SPOT capped @ 10 for my carrier. The Pandora app on the unit worked fine. Also WEB browsing via Chrome works fine. Also my specific email and Work app works perfect.

So outstanding issues to me... The DVR camera does not still work, they are suppose to be shipping a replacement. The Automatic lights on my truck are on ALL the time. (ruins DTR lights working). Cannot mirror my phone contents on nice big screen with native android. (can use android auto {but I do not like])

Other wish list things, like even further customization to screens would be nice. Along with even faster screen changing screens. But for what I was looking for and like being on cutting edge this unit is great. When pulled into job site hit camera button saw front camera knew how far to pull in till hit other car in front of me. Could have multiple navigation app running and see different items that interested me. Could have my work application "ESP" and give them ETA updates, status updates, search new jobs, all perfect for me vs on phone.

Thanks for updating us. Now that you've had a couple days, how is it working out so far? Is there anything that doesn't work properly that you use daily or is it slow to load any of the different apps?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts