DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite guys, I already have my own opinion on whats going on, but your input would be great.

Me and one of my friends decided to go to Del Taco just now and we hopped in the truck and headed on down the road. Once we got going it hit 2nd pretty hard, but it was almost a stumble and not a hard shift. Shrugged it off as a cold trans and kept going.

On the way home the truck felt VERY laggy so i bumped the stick to knock it down a few gears and it did nothing, so i did it again, nothing... i got it to say I was going 55mph in 1st gear at 1900RPM :strokin:

I pull to the side of the road real quick restart the truck and hea dback on down the road, this time with full manual up shift control, get it to 4th and itll back into 3rd so i figure hmm lets see give it full D and try to back down again and BAM! nothing.

Pull over and restart it one more time, leave it in D this time and its doing the stuble slam into gears with every shift and then feels like it leaves itself in 4th no matter what.

Trans temps are on the higher side of things in the upper 140s to low 150s the whole time. I think there might have been a clicky sound coming from the trans tunnel, but its hard to hear anything with the open collectors right now

SO when i take this into dodge tomorrow and tell them give me the new TC are they going to tell me to get bent because of my headers? Thats about the only thing im worried about right now

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Since the headers have noting to do with the trans, they should not be an issue.

This whole thing sounds like a confused PCM. Did you do a full reset?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
That sounds like garbage! I would pull the battery cable...let the juice run out and drive it again like you stole it!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
It sounds like your transmission is in LIMP MODE
Time for a trip to the dealership

On the 45 and 545RFE the hydraulic control system design (without electronic assist) provides the transmission with PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, SECOND, and THIRD gears, based solely on driver shift lever selection. This design allows the vehicle to be driven (in “limp-in” mode) in the event of an electronic control system failure, or a situation that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) recognizes as potentially damaging to the transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the trans is in limp-in mode,the `check engine` lamp should be on .You will have an active P0700 dtc set in the PCM.That indicates taht there is a trans. fault code set.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Have your dealer check it for transmission fault codes, then post them here.

You also might try driving it in ERS "3" (which is actually 2nd prime gear) and see if everything is OK there. Any slippage / stumbling / strange behavior in ERS "3"? If not, then 1st, 2nd, and 2nd prime gears are OK. If it screws up when you try to go to ERS "4" (which is actually 3rd or direct gear), then there's your problem. Could be an OD clutch problem, or a pressure switch problem. Post your fault code(s) and we'll know for sure.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay sorry o totally forgot about this thread.

The truck threw po871 and I believe p07something.

Truck was dropped off at the dealer on Friday, supposed to be getting a phone call today about it. It wasn't seeming to want to do it as much on the way there, almost as if it had to be cold outside to wanna mess up??

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Dude your in Southern California it don't get cold.....

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha cold to me and cold to my truck are two different temps.
I'm from MI and literally when it was 41* and the truck started acting up the other night she must have though it was cold and loved it.

But really this stupid issue happened twice. Originally when it was 41* and again a few hours later at 49* but wouldn't do it at 56*

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Let us know what the dealer says. With a P0871 it could be just an electrical problem (bad wire or bad connection), but there are a lot of possibilities....

If you could get the other code, too, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went through my seach history

It was P0871 and P0935.

Could this all be caused from a higher output alternator or larger batt? Those are the only electrical mods i have right now along with runs of 1/0 from the alt to the battery, alt case to the ground and battery ground to the frame grounding point.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is the exact same problem I has few months ago. I got the same fault code and as much as I hate to tell you, it was the clutches in the transmission that were bad. They found metal flakes in my tranny fluid and 4th gear was beat to hell. They did a complete tranny and torque converter replacement. I haven't had any problem since but do yourself a favor and get it to the shop ASAP. If it is the same problem I had, it will leave you stranded and waiting for a tow truck to tow it to the dealer. It was only 3 days from the time it happened to the time I got stranded.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the exact same problem I has few months ago. I got the same fault code and as much as I hate to tell you, it was the clutches in the transmission that were bad. They found metal flakes in my tranny fluid and 4th gear was beat to hell. They did a complete tranny and torque converter replacement. I haven't had any problem since but do yourself a favor and get it to the shop ASAP. If it is the same problem I had, it will leave you stranded and waiting for a tow truck to tow it to the dealer. It was only 3 days from the time it happened to the time I got stranded.
Its been at the dealer since Friday, I wasnt taking any chances Ive been screwed by blown transmissions before with my Camaro :/

Did they do it all under warretny or did it cost an arm and a leg... It kinda pisses me off, I dont even beat on my truck and the trans took a hot steamy dump :(

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Its been at the dealer since Friday, I wasnt taking any chances Ive been screwed by blown transmissions before with my Camaro :/

Did they do it all under warretny or did it cost an arm and a leg... It kinda pisses me off, I dont even beat on my truck and the trans took a hot steamy dump :(
Today I took my 2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 van with 1702km (~1100miles) to the dealer for a real bad drivetrain issue. :Wow1:

I really like warranty! :smileup:
I may be without it for awhile, but when I get it back, I will NOT have a bill to pay. :D

Did I say how much I like warranty..... ;)

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I just moved and haven't been working for long I couldn't afford to pay for a new trans lol. Maybe ill get lucky and they'll say the whole truck is flawed and give me a 2012 3500 dualie :) bring on the 18" lift 50" tires and smoke stacks lol

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

There are no charges as long as you are within your warranty range. Same thing happened to me on a trip to a family reunion. Knowing of these issues ahead of time I pulled off the freeway and reloaded my tune from the comfort of my truck and was back on the road within a few minutes. I see you have an 11 with no tuner so you could have just reflashed by way of battery. I made the 3hr trip there and back but it failed three more times with each interval getting shorter and shorter with the fourth lasting 15 minutes after a dealer reflash. I made the mistake of going to the dealer reflashed with no codes showing for them to go by but thankfully shortly after telling them it wouldn't last, it didn't and they kept it. They changed the solynoid pack, clutches and converter under my warranty with no charges and a free five day rental at their expense. I had 34k miles on it and was concerned about future problems but they said that the warranty will be covered under my lifetime d/t warranty that came with the 09's if it fails after 36k. That wasn't long ago and I'm still at 35k so that's yet to be seen. It seems Chry is honoring their warranties and with good costumer service to boot. My dealer (Mark Dodge) in Lake Charles, La has been nothing less then five star to me, I wish the same for you and the rest with yours...good luck.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
P0871 and P0935 is not a real good combination. The P0935 is likely the result of slippage within the trans. It is technically a Line Pressure Sensor Circuit High fault, but if the trans slips, it runs up a counter that can then cause the P0935 to set. So I suspect the P0935 indicates that your trans is actually slipping.

P0871 is an OD Pressure Switch Rationality fault. This means the OD pressure switch (which senses pressure in the OD clutch passage) was in the wrong state (closed when it should have been open, or open when it should have been closed). My guess is the switch was open (showing little or no pressure) when it should have been closed. Often this fault is just an electrical problem (broken wire, etc.), but in this case, the P0935 says the trans probably was slipping, so I'm betting that you in fact had too little OD pressure, which caused it to slip.

Why the little or no OD pressure? Could be a bad solenoid pack. Could also be a line pressure problem (filter or pump problem). Your dealer should check the DTC Event Data in the TCM (a block of data that gets written into memory when a fault is set). It will show what the line pressure (and desired LP) was when the fault set. If the LP was way low (below desired), then they need to look for an LP issue. If the LP is OK, then maybe you got some debris in the solenoid module that caused leakage out of the OD clutch passage. They should follow the published diagnostic procedure for the P0871 fault to find the root cause.

It is likely that your OD clutch is burned (due to slippage), so they should probably tear the trans partway down and check it.

Sorry for the hassles you're going through! Hopefully, they will make it all OK again under warranty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes it was all covered by the warranty. The dealership also gave me the option of a repair or replacement, the replacement took an extra two days than the repair would have. I wasn't as lucky as radio flyer though, my dealership would not give me a rental car, I had to pay out of my pocket for one. Still way cheaper than the bill for a new tranny.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
e
Yes it was all covered by the warranty. The dealership also gave me the option of a repair or replacement, the replacement took an extra two days than the repair would have. I wasn't as lucky as radio flyer though, my dealership would not give me a rental car, I had to pay out of my pocket for one. Still way cheaper than the bill for a new tranny.
Lol, it wan't all that peaches and cream at first. The first time I told this story in an earlier post I left my name out of it and saying it was a freinds truck for a reason. The first time I went in I had reflashed it to get there so no codes were showing and I had to pay for the rental with a credit card. They called me the next day saying it just needed a reflash. I tried to explain that it was more than that and though very nice they wouldn't listen. I went to the dealer and then had to return the little import suv to enterprize and wait for them to drive me back to my dealer. I told enterprize to hold me a rental because I know I will be back shortly. Needless to say my rental agent had a new 5.7 jeep so my story got his attention quickly...he laughed and said he will be waiting for me with a rental on hold. I picked it up and didn't even make the 40 min trip home. I imediately called enterprize and then the dealer and limped back in stuck in fouth gear. Under the circumstances they picked up the tab on my first day rental and paid the rest. It was only a two day job but they had to order parts. Even better, enterprize came and picked me up from the dealer in a 4.7 qc ram. I had become freinds with the original tech that left this dealership for another. And this tech didn't sound too swift the first time I brought it in. Not to mention, this was to be his first trans rebuild according to him and I was supposed to trust him....not! I was sure he was capable of installing a new tranny. I just didn't trust the kid rebuilding it like they said they were going to do. Lucky or not, I aged ten yrs while my truck was in there even though it seems he did a good job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts