DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be starting a project on my new/used 2007 Dodge Ram 1500.

I have a 7" Galaxy Tab, a 10" Galaxy Tab and a 10" Xoom Tab.
Not sure which to go with yet. Either the 7" GT or the 10" Xoom.

If you're familiar with the 2007 you know they have a big bezel, with a crappy eared radio HU. (Some one fire the 2007 radio Dodge designer! FUGLY)

The audio output will be connected to a Sony XE-744 (old school but I love it!) Great thing about this discontinued EQ is that I can control sound quality for Hi's, Mid's and Lo's from 1 input! So it has 3 outputs. Plus fancy dancing LCD lights... You can find one in eBay for 100$ some times.

So.... My only dilemma.... I tried to fabricate similar in my late 07 dodge nitro and failed....

I can't figure out how to properly glass any thing... LOL....
I've watched youTube video's and still failed. LOL...

Any one in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa/Chandler etc.etc. area want to help a fellow Dodge owner/audio enthusiast with that? LOL...
Any suggestions any one? Car audio shop will charge $250 but I would rather learn how to do it with the help of some one. LOL... Either way, I will keep trying myself. :box:

I will be posting pix, however this will be a SLOW ongoing project as I have a 9month old boy and 5 year old boy taking up most of my time. :gy:

Not the best pix, but thought I'd add some.
Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I believe chithead is the person to message or talk to about the install, he is very good at audio and fab for audio. also a great guy!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I believe chithead is the person to message or talk to about the install, he is very good at audio and fab for audio. also a great guy!
He is very good, he also failed at a iPad install :LOL:

I'm sure he has some great advice for you though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Excellent, I took apart the radio bezel/dash yesterday and thought of my options.
I decided I'm going to buy the Navi. bezel and work on it instead of the OEM it has on now. I think this would save me time on cutting and chipping but I could be wrong. IDK, I'm even thinking of just taking it to a local radio shop to have them do the fab. (save me some time and headache) on the tablet instead, but it's not my style to do that!

I think I also snapped a bolt from the silver panel on the driver side door that sits right above the levers for windows/mirror/locks. I was trying to see if it would come off, well with enough force most things will. Oppps! NP, that I can fix!

Thanks for the reference fellas!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Started to order a couple parts. (Have to start slow, wife not too happy about $$)

I F'd up big time because I left all my wiring in the Dodge NiTro I traded in!
CRAP!!! 2AWG + & - wiring, 2 sets of twisted double shielded RCA's, one was 4 Ch! UGH!
Distribution blocks and fuses, 10AWG twisted speaker wiring from to back.
Fuse boxes. I'm sure I left more behind. Screw it.

For now I just ordered 4 Ch. Cadence twisted pair RCA $11 shipped (might be cheap but will do the trick for now).
Also ordered a 3 port HDMI switch selector for $3 shipped. (don't need, but may come in handy).
both from eBay.

Next (hopefully) is the navi dash bezel, runs $75-$100+ on eBay. Ugh! expensive, I should look for salvage yards!
Then some AMP kits. I still have to decide what tablet to go with.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If anyone wants to see my previous attempt on my former vehicle the Dodge NiTro.
I was at the other dodge "forumz" posting/blogging, one bad thing after the other happened though and just about gave up at the end. Got robbed, ran over project, etc.etc.

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=29976

I think I'm going to go with the 7" Galaxy Tab. If I go with the 10" (which I would prefer), I won't have enough room for the EQ. Plus the 7" has 3g, my other 2 tablets are only WiFi.
Just purchased this snap on case on eBay for $11, I will attempt to mold it into the bezel and right under will be the EQ.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered the following as well... Wifey is going to be pissed for spending $$... :LOL:

So the Navi bezel is still too much $$ to fork over right now, I may just use the existing one and get a new one later as a back up when the prices go down.

Either way I think I can make this work.
I'll still need the Amp kits before I can get tunes working though! :thk:

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wellllll....... My first major problem has begun!

My 7" Galaxy tab that I have been buying parts for gave out!
Lucky for me I purchased the Geek Squad extended warranty right! WRONG!!!
Why, because BestBuy is no longer supporting this device or replacing it, as they're no long selling them (there may be some store's left w/stock but not my two closest stores).

I was really pissed! Best Buy said I had to upgrade, I didn't have $300+ to upgrade to Motorola Xoom or iPad2, those are the only reliable Verizon (contract) devices they offer for now. So I wrote them a bad survey, was not rude, was not cursing, just simply stated the facts....

Received a phone call or two and was asked to come back into the store and I was taken care of. Let me tell you! I paid $300+ for my 7" GT, with extra warranty. I got a 16gig 3g iPad2 for basically $100 more. You do the math. Needless to say I'm impressed with Best Buy pulling through like that! (However it's just as I've purchased ton's of things from them! Ton's!!!)

With that said.... Do I continue with a 9.7" iP2, 10.1" GT or 10.1" Xoom?
Any suggestions any one?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Don't all jump in at once, bwahahah....

Guess I'll go with the iPad2, seeing how it has so much App support, hardware support and it's the only tablet I have with 3g.

Up next, rethink design........

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
More Parts...

Looking for a some what cheap case I can glass into existing dash so I don't have to make one from scratch.
Not going to buy Navi bezel since this iPad2 is much bigger than the 7" tablet and I'll end up cutting it up any way.

Purchased the following 90 degrees 30 pin iPad connector from SoundManCarAudio for $65 with shipping. Steep but I couldn't find this part any where else??? They do some nice custom installs but they're located in Cali and I'm in AZ otherwise I'd pay them to do the glassing!
They have a lot of nice iPad parts for custom installs!

Here's a pic of the "Piddy Pad" aka iPad (which every one know's what it looks like...)
Stinger for battery $14.99 shipped off eBay.
And possible iPad2 case to fab in??? $14 off eBay shipped.

Added cut/pasted image of what I'm envisioning, of course it's not going to look exactly like that but this is what I'm picturing....?

Just an FYI for any one who cares... I think my 10" Galaxy Tab's UI is better than Apple's iPad. I like it better. Both have please of apps and accessories however I like the UI better on Samsung's tablets.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
updated on project as of 10/26/11

K, got most of my parts. Still waiting on a few.

FrankDrebin was cool enough to suggest some easy to use resin so I'll be looking to purchase some of that.

I looked closer today at the iPad and it's a little wider than I thought, I may have to angle it just a bit to get it to fit nicely on the bezel. But it will be a slight tilt up so it wont look bad.

Still think 10" Galaxy Tab is better though! LOL.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow! Very ambitious project! I tried to look at your Nitro forum, but since I'm not a member, I cant see the photos. I will be watching this thread to check your progress. Good luck!:icon1: Hope to see some pics as you go along.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've scanned through SMD's forum like crazy dude! He does have some wicked builds! That Tahoe is crazy! The only thing I didn't like about that build was that he covered A/C vents for the iPad I believe, other than that it's sick!
In fact looking at his threads is what got me started on my previous attempt in my previously owned Nitro.

All I need it to figure out glassing, every thing else should be a breeze for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Parts

Received following last night...

2 BULLZ AUDIO EPAK4BL 4 Gauge Amplifier/Amp Wiring Kit for $31.95 shipped! Not sure how good this brand it but it's too late now.

Otterbox Defender Series Case for iPad 2 Black for $37.99+shipping.
I may use this or other one for the mount and modify either one but def. fab. into dash.

Ordered car charge for the iPad 2 and a Micro USB w/Audio out also.

Man... money money money...:doh:
I still don't have the glassing stuff :(
That will have to wait a week or two I think! :wow:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
pix

Here's a couple of pix of what I did this weekend w/a little free time.
So this is the Otter Box for the iPad2 and the front wood grain bezel I purchased on eBay. (My son had his Star Wars figures in the truck so I added them to give my truck some class. LOL).

I chopped up one side of the the back, just the back and a little off the other back of the front piece (if that makes any sense?). This is allowing me to slide the iPad2 in and out of it and the case still opens and close. Once I fab it into the bezel though I wont be able to snap it open or close, just slide the iPad2 in and out. I taped off so I can use as a guide when I cut with the dremel.
The iPad slides in and out easily, I like the snug fit!

So I need to decide where it will go exactly and more over where my EQ will also go??? and then hop to the glassing ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
parts

Received more parts yesterday...

Micro USB Line Out Adapter Connector for $7.99 on Amazon

and
Satechi ST-2412 Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2 for $9.99 from Amazon as well. (don't know if I'll use this yet)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no update yet.
haven't had any free time to do any thing since I chopped up that Otterbox case.
I did however find a spot on the bezel and trimmed down some spots to squeeze in the Otterbox case.
I'll have to glue it down so I can throw it back onto the truck and then make sure the tablet slides in and out w/o intrusion.
I'll get a pic or two as soon as I do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Pix

I took some video but I can't upload it from work, blocked! Grrr!
Any way here's a couple pix, nothing special, just status update.
I'll have to post (youTube) video and link it when I get home, show's nothing diff. or special just thought I'd add some vid. :box2:

Videos uploaded, kind of shaky, I'm using my SGS2 (Sprint Variant).
(Couldn't get embedded to work but here they are, hope I get more time to start glassing)

Vid1
http://youtu.be/hmsAzkXJv3E
Vid2
https://youtu.be/ouCJFb_RkF8

Attachments

1 - 20 of 109 Posts