DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short brain cramp resulted in my scarring my tailgate near the bottom. Short of getting a professional repair, and the big bill, I was thinking that a piece of molding or chrome trim across the bottom of the tailgate might do for now. My '99 has a black molding in this area. I'm not a big fan of the look, but it sure looks better than what I have now.

Anybody else done this on a late model?

Suggestions? Where to / to not buy?

TIA

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Any pics to help us decide? I know you hate to show the scratch but maybe Wermbang or one of the others can PhotoShop you in your molding to see how it will look before you buy.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
if you have a pic we could help you better ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man that hurts but you might be able to straighten it out some so it's not so obvious. How did you do that anyways?
I backed into a small Ford with it's tailgate down in a parking lot. The sonar did not see it I suppose since it was high and looking at it edge on. I just didn't see it in the camera. If the tailgate had been up there would have been no problem. No damage to the Ford since it was at very low speed.

I was not a happy camper.

I'm thinking maybe the chrome flames over a piece of red plastic. Then bury some LEDs in the bottom edge for a different look?

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
go to the auto store and you can get a roll of this chrome stuff that should hide it for like $40.00

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'd follow the Ford SuperDuty's footsteps and put a big chrome piece at the back that says "Dodge Ram" or "Hemi" or something cool like that. Or you can be really cool and go out and pick yourself up a geniune Ford SuperDuty! :)

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
I'd follow the Ford SuperDuty's footsteps and put a big chrome piece at the back that says "Dodge Ram" or "Hemi" or something cool like that. Or you can be really cool and go out and pick yourself up a geniune Ford SuperDuty! :)
Trader :att: :banhim2: :wrongforum: :banhim3: :gross:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just for the heck of it, see if a PDR guy can do you a good deal on that. doesn't look like there is any paint damage?

although you might just be able to get it out yourself too

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I have to take mine to the PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) shop for my front passenger side door & also for the dent in my plastic back bumper
the bumper was the first dent, at least i did that all by myself, new truck, 2 or 3 malfunctioning back up sensors & me not paying enough attention , the corner of that concrete building never even moved

:LOL:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yup, when I get my '08 Ram 3500 Cummins back from the shop it's going straight to the Ford dealership to be traded in for the fantastic new SuperDuty!

I have to take mine to the PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) shop for my front passenger side door & also for the dent in my plastic back bumper
the bumper was the first dent, at least i did that all by myself, new truck, 2 or 3 malfunctioning back up sensors & me not paying enough attention , the corner of that concrete building never even moved

:LOL:
I never knew they were able to do paintless dent repair on plastic. I've seen it done many times before when I was still with GM but they only did it on metal panels.

·
Registered
560 Posts
try pushing it out yourself or a paintless dent guy.
the dent doesn't seem that bad and unfortunately anything you put there will draw more attention than the dent itself

·
Registered
34 Posts
take the tail gate off and place it face down on a thick blanket on the grass then take a rubber mallot to the back side, if you dont have a big enough mallot (otherwords known as a dead blow) take a thin piece of wood and hammer it down you wont need big swings u should be able to eye ball the edge to figure out if you need to hammer it anymore. you will have a wripple but if you put a decal like the one you showed you wont notice it that much, if you make the whole decal say blue with white letters or an accent color thatll match your truck for the decal the letters will draw your attention instead of the wripple

·
Registered
34 Posts
also unfortionatly the dent doctor wouldnt be able to fix the dent either because of not being able to get into the gate on the backside. we have a dent doctor come into my shop and he can get out some pretty narley dents but if he cant get to the back side of the skin he cant massage it out. I think youll be fine with knocking it out and having a decal made

1 - 20 of 23 Posts