DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I've owned this truck since I bought it new in 1999! Something this simple should not be this difficult. I'm trying to replace my tailgate hinge bushings on a 1999 Dodge Ram. When I took my tailgate off I only found one rectangle shaped bushing on one of the studs that sticks out from the bed side of the truck. The other side's rectangle shaped bushing was missing and there was no plastic bushings that are shaped kind of like a cup in the actual holes on the tailgate(I'm thinking that my model doesn't use them?).

I've seen kits that has four pieces to them, the 2 rectangle shaped pieces and then the 2 cup type things. I bought one at Autozone, and it would not work and didn't fit correctly despite the package saying would work on my truck.

My main question is, does my 1999 Ram ONLY use just the two rectangle shaped bushings over the studs? A man I spoke to at a Dodge dealership felt like it only needed the two rectangle shaped bushing parts I mentioned, and not the 4 part kit with the cup type things.

If it helps, this is the number stamped on the rectangle shaped bushing I removed: 55274936ac

Any thoughts, answers or help would be cherished! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moparite. Apparently these days, 55274936AE is the replacement part for 55274936AC. I bought two of the "AE" ones off eBay and replaced them. All is well at the present. I'm not convinced my truck ever used the cup type part???!? We'll see. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts