DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i found out that my tailgate post on the drivers side has rusted to the point its almost non existent anymore, what do you use to replace these cause i know the 3rd and 4th gens there bolted in but these are made into the post ill post a picture sometime towhere yall can see how bad it is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
only thing i can think of is cut it off and weld a pipe in there. or if you wanna really get into it you can cut it out and get in behind all that and weild a plate with a pipe atached to it so it would have support. .... me id prob just cut that off then get a plate and weld a pipe to it then weld or screw that to that area. my 2 cents....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do t know much but i know the 3rd gens have a bolton plate there and i didnt know if i could do that and cut up a support for the backside of it to support it but im trying not to weld it cause the metal would have to be cleaned to bare metal then i have to paint it and would like it to match the whole truck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping that someone had this problem and had a different way to fix it maybe a bed post cut out of another 2nd gen

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If all you want to do is replace the stud, determine if there is a supporting plate behind it. If there is, cut off the rusty stud, clean up the rust, weld a new pipe, stud, bolt or whatever you can find that will work to a piece of 1/8 plate. Screw the plate into place using self tapping screws and paint the new work with primer and color coat. Make sure that the plate is sealed against the elements when you bolt it into place.

lf you don't have a supporting piece behind the stud then you will have to weld the new plate instead of using screws.

Post a picture of the other side so we can see what it is supposed to look like.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its too dark now but ill get a picture tomorrow but i know theres no support behind it but would a support plate on the back with a hole and all thread in it cut to shape for the hinge weld the all thread to the plate and set it in the hole have a skinny nut(thin for clearance) and then the tailgate sit on it work??? so a custom plate with a bolt through it and ground down to shape and size

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a chance before the rain cut loose so here ya go, it kinda looks like i could almost drill a hole through the center and fold it in on itself to get it out but the bed supported it before so would a bolt with a washer on both sides of the bed and a thin nut to tighten it down and grind it to shape?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts