DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any opinions on what i should do to instal a tailgate light bar in 0 degree celsius weather? i know its recommended for 15 but thats going to be a couple month lol, so any opinions? heat up the area with a blow drier heat up the tape?

·
Registered
125 Posts
just put the tape inside until it is room temperature. if possible after the area is clean use a hair dryer or heat gun and just take a bit of the chill off the metal. then stick that tape on and press hard and that sucker on and bobs your uncle. done it before no problems

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
i'm in the same boat, I have a wood stove in my garage but my truck doesnt fit in length wise so that I can close the garage door, my light bar is sitting in the corner of my bedroom.... I am thinking a blow drier might work, 1 day coming up is supposed to be above freezing so that might be my chance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i tried it, and this is actually my second attempt at it, and both times was complete failure, the weather was +1 today and had a propane heater and a blow drier going so i don't think the weather was to much of a problem, but it seems like the light bar just won't fit flat it pushes out on the very edges where sheet metal meets and cause the second tape push out preventing t from sticking how are people putting these on their 4th gen rams are the 12 different or what. i am seriously contemplating just getting rid of the light bar i can't seem to make it work

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
well i tried it, and this is actually my second attempt at it, and both times was complete failure, the weather was +1 today and had a propane heater and a blow drier going so i don't think the weather was to much of a problem, but it seems like the light bar just won't fit flat it pushes out on the very edges where sheet metal meets and cause the second tape push out preventing t from sticking how are people putting these on their 4th gen rams are the 12 different or what. i am seriously contemplating just getting rid of the light bar i can't seem to make it work
what brand of bar do you have? some brands have spots to screw right into the sheet metal. My gf originally ordered a recon but couldnt get it due to back orders so she got a rampage bar but it cant be mounted with screws.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the recon fire ice one it has 5 sticky mounts that are out further from the light itself if that makes sense

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
i have the recon fire ice one it has 5 sticky mounts that are out further from the light itself if that makes sense
mine has the 5 sticky things as well, not sure if that would provide enough surface area on the sheet metal though.... I think when I do mine I am going to run a bead of silicone around the edge of the entire bar stop any chance of water and salt from getting behind. good luck with a reinstall! post some pics if you get it on

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I can't help you with your specific situation, but when I installed mine (almost 2 yrs ago) it was in the 50s (F), and the sticky tape has started to let go, even though I did everything possible to make sure that the area was clean.

First it was the left side, now the right side is letting go. I consider it a permanent mounting to I've added a few self tapping screws to make sure that it doesn't go anywhere. This involved removing the screws that hold the sticky pads on, and putting the screw through the hole.

Also a lil trick that someone passed along to me when I did my first install. Get a couple of the old style CD cases, place 'em spread out on the bumper. This will give you a level surface on which to rest the bar during the install, and will make it easier to ensure that everything is level and you don't have what I call the waves effect.

Good luck

Exco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts