DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the tailgate locked by the key that is in the remote key fob ?

Just wondering as wouldn't it be a big pain to have to always take it out to lock or unlock the tailgate. Or does it come with a separate key?

I want to install a Bak Flip cover and would be opening the tailgate often.
I'm thinking that the remote lock kit would come in very handy.....
Opinions anyone ?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
There is a way to make it lock electronically i know brad did a write up on it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's the key in the FOB. It opens the doors as well. It is kind of a pita to get out but I don't really unlock mine that often so I don't mind.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My truck came with two full sized keys as well as the hidden keys......they all work in the gate.

That said, I agree.......I didnt think so at first, but having to lock and unlock by hand every time is getting to be a pain. I may consider adding the electric lock at some point, but my rig is a lease so I want to make sure I can do it without permanantly altering anything.....for the cost involved, could be a great convenience.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My truck came with two full sized keys as well as the hidden keys......they all work in the gate.

That said, I agree.......I didnt think so at first, but having to lock and unlock by hand every time is getting to be a pain. I may consider adding the electric lock at some point, but my rig is a lease so I want to make sure I can do it without permanantly altering anything.....for the cost involved, could be a great convenience.
You can get the Mopar electric lock installed at the dealership which wouldn't affect your lease.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is the tailgate locked by the key that is in the remote key fob ?

Just wondering as wouldn't it be a big pain to have to always take it out to lock or unlock the tailgate. Or does it come with a separate key?

I want to install a Bak Flip cover and would be opening the tailgate often.
I'm thinking that the remote lock kit would come in very handy.....
Opinions anyone ?
You should have received a separate key that looks like a normal key. Personally, I always use the key inside the fob to lock/unlock the tailgate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The key is a pain in the A$$ - I went to the electric lock!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for thehelpfull replies

I didn't know that the truck comes with the additional regular style keys.
I still have 2 weeks before my truck order is due to arrive and wasn't sure if the regular keys came with it.

I see that Brad did a very good in depth walk thru on the installation of the factory tailgate lock............... apparently he is from Brandon Manitoba and that is my home town...........maybe I should look him up and see how many beers he charges for the install ? Well, everyone works for beer right ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I didn't know that the truck comes with the additional regular style keys.
I still have 2 weeks before my truck order is due to arrive and wasn't sure if the regular keys came with it.

I see that Brad did a very good in depth walk thru on the installation of the factory tailgate lock............... apparently he is from Brandon Manitoba and that is my home town...........maybe I should look him up and see how many beers he charges for the install ? Well, everyone works for beer right ?
Hey another Hatter! Never noticed it until now.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Some days i have to get into my tailgate more than twice a day, especially when i am going through Border Patrol check points. Some times getting the Valet key out of the FOB can be a chore, that little slider seems to hang up.
I think that i will go to a locksmith & get a duplicate key made & hang it on the ring with the gas cap key

The 2013s will have the option of electric tailgate lock, RamBox lock, & door lock. They will all work from the FOB
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2013/ram_1500/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts