DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Peragon truck bed covers sells a tailgate seal kit. "https://www.peragon.com/" I don't know how well it works though as I have not put one on yet. I believe the cost is around $29. I'm not sure if they will sell the tailgate seal without selling you a cover though. I would email or call them to find out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The tailgate seal keeps much of the dust from getting sucked into the bed. The suction is pretty bad when you have a bed cover installed.

Darin

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have seen and heard of these for years. i have yet to figure out why any one would need this.

Automatic Car Wash is another instance that the bed gets wet on mine. I'm assuming it's the undercarriage pressure washing that sprays between the tailgate. :4-dontknow:

I haven't tried one of these seals yet, but I've been meaning to pick one up.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
The tailgate seal keeps much of the dust from getting sucked into the bed. The suction is pretty bad when you have a bed cover installed.

Darin
and yet, i have had caps on trucks since the early nineties, and never had this issue. only thought about them to make sure exhaust didn't get sucked in and hurt the dogs, rode back there with them and no problem. maybe the new design on 4th gens is causing this issue. my bed is open right now, hope you will all let me know if this design related.

·
Registered
262 Posts
To me it was a no brainer. I got it for free with my tuxedo and it helps keep rain and dust out of the bed. Love it. Also gives the tailgate a tighter seal when closing the tailgate.

I love auto anything.com. Their service is great and they'll price match anything.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a 2012 rambox with a bakflip cover. A couple days ago I did 15 miles on a rough dirt road. When I lifted the cover and lowered the tailgate I saw lots of red dust that had been sucked in through the tailgate gaps. So, I picked up a "Trail Seal" gasket and installed today. The ram tailgate has pretty big gaps but this seal did the trick. Tested with hard spray from my water hose from the outside and no water got in. So, I'm thinking this worked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put a Lund Genesis seal on mine, and the portion where the tailgate folds is pretty much falling off now. There's a large gap underneath where there's like a cut out to where the spare tire is so nothing stuck for about a foot. So now it hangs in the middle where that part had nothing to stick to... unless I put it on wrong. It still manages to keep some dust out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I put a Lund Genesis seal on mine, and the portion where the tailgate folds is pretty much falling off now. There's a large gap underneath where there's like a cut out to where the spare tire is so nothing stuck for about a foot. So now it hangs in the middle where that part had nothing to stick to... unless I put it on wrong. It still manages to keep some dust out.
On mine that cutout is completely covered with a plastic panel the wiring for the rear camera runs thru. I just ran the seal right over it. The tailgate pinches the seal there a little more but it works good. I would think you should be able to either get the panel insert or make something that would cover the hole.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yup. Bought my truxedo cover at autoanything and the seal came with the cover. Works great. Great prices and service!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts