DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

From a misfortunate event I have lost my truck and have thus acquired a new to me 2010 ram 1500 … It is seriously lacking many of the features that my poor old ram had. Thus I have decided to start with the head unit in my truck and while I am at it, I have decided that I may as well add on a backup camera. I am going with a Kenwood DDX5706S for the carplay and hands free … One of the features is I can add a backup camera. Dear google tells me that there are two factory options, the third brake light or the tailgate handle. The truck already has a power locking tailgate, so running the wires is not a big deal. Anyone care to weigh in on either location? Is one better than the other? Any recommendations on company, brand, make, model?

Also, anyone have any experience with the kenwood front facing cameras? What the heck are they for? I have googled and the head unit does not record, so it is not meant for a dashcam, I am just rather confused why it is there and what it is for … Thinking I am going to just ignore this feature

Thank you guys for the help!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The camera in the third brake light is normally a cargo cam for the bed of the truck. If you’re hooking up to a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer it would be handy. Tailgate handle camera is good for seeing behind the truck, like when backing up. That should help you decide which is best for you.
The front camera is good for pulling up close to something without hitting it. It’s also handy when off road and trying to see the terrain in front of you.
Both front and back cameras are speed sensitive. I believe most brands they are only good for 5-10 mph. Faster then that and the screen goes blank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The camera in the third brake light is normally a cargo cam for the bed of the truck. If you’re hooking up to a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer it would be handy. Tailgate handle camera is good for seeing behind the truck, like when backing up. That should help you decide which is best for you.
The front camera is good for pulling up close to something without hitting it. It’s also handy when off road and trying to see the terrain in front of you.
Both front and back cameras are speed sensitive. I believe most brands they are only good for 5-10 mph. Faster then that and the screen goes blank.
Thank you for the reply! I think I will definitely get a tailgate camera as I have zero plans to get a 5th wheel!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts