DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where i could get a 4th gen tailgate without the emblem indention?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bond that puppy!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
i just got a quote on this a couple days ago and they wanted almost 600 bucks. im hoping to find someone to do it cheaper, at that price ill just paint the badges black and deal with them.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Find a shop that will quote you lower and then try it yourself. If you dont like it or mess up your only out a few bucks and tried to do it at least. Then you can let them do it and have someone to complain to if it isnt perfect

·
Registered
626 Posts
Careful because bondo will crack on you. I'd cut out a piece of sheet metal and tach it in place of the badge.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well if i bondo it, and have it dry properly wouldnt the paint and primer and clear coat hold over it?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah don't bondo that it's too thick of an area, it would likely shrink and crack. Fill it with a metal plate and tack it in, or you could maybe do bondo/fiber or fiberglass or something like that. Just plain filler will definitely crack though, it needs some reinforcement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do professional collision work for a living. I work for a high line repair facility in Ga. I also work on friends vehicles at home. There are several things to consider. Bondo will probably crack. Welding requires talent not to warp the panel and you will destroy corrosion prtection on the inside of the gate. I recommend a two part epoxy. My fav is 3M 8115 (panel bond). It is expensive about $50.00. You can use it just like bondo if you put a skim coat of glazing putty over it. It is difficult to sand but it will not fail.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I do professional collision work for a living. I work for a high line repair facility in Ga. I also work on friends vehicles at home. There are several things to consider. Bondo will probably crack. Welding requires talent not to warp the panel and you will destroy corrosion prtection on the inside of the gate. I recommend a two part epoxy. My fav is 3M 8115 (panel bond). It is expensive about $50.00. You can use it just like bondo if you put a skim coat of glazing putty over it. It is difficult to sand but it will not fail.
Thats what I was going to say, nice explanation man.:smileup:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Lol I was just reading through this thread and was thinking the same thing. I also work in a Collision repair facility. I've had the odd problem with 3m panel bond so I'm a little hesitant.. I love the stuff but I've had a couple problems with it. Still better than welding a patch over it. There is a hole in the depression though. I guess you could bond a small piece of sheet metal over that area then once its cured fill the void with the panel bond.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might also consider a different style badge if the issue is you just don't like the look of the ramhead badge. Search for truck badges on the net.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts