DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 1500 Express Crew 4x4 5.7
I tow a small travel trailer and I'm getting ready for a long trip so I ordered a Tekonsha P3 controller with the 3024p harness to plug into the truck but when I plug in my trailer it just says trailer not connected I"m not sure what I'm missing ? Anyone have any Ideas ?

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I've never used that controller myself. Maybe call the manufacturer and they may be able to help you with it.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Have you tried seeing if the controller works even though it says that trailers not connected?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I second NevadaMike's response, contact the manufacturer. I use that same controller in my 17 Sport and it was simply plug n play.

·
Registered
937 Posts
There is an adpter from the P3 wiring to the Ram wiring, which you said you have. Yes just 1 plug.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, I plugged the P3 with adapter into my 2016, hooked up the trailer and off we went. Hardest part was finding a good place to mount it. Did you try a different trailer or try the trailer with a truck that has a known working controller? The trailer does have electric brakes right? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The trailer does have electric brakes I don't have another truck with a controller but if I don't hear from the manufacturer I'll try to see if the local RV dealership can test it for me

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just a thought, and I could be way off so forgive me if I am. I had an older Ram that did this with a P2 controller, and the problem was there was no fuse in the block for trailer battery. It seemed crazy, but once I replaced the fuse it worked. Have you checked the fuse block for the trailer battery?

Caveat, mine was a gen3 ram and it's probably a completely different issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's all worth checking I think if I'm using the tester right I have power all the way to the 7 pin on the truck

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have you checked the wiring on the trailer? If the lights work your wiring using a ground is good. However the wiring for the brakes may be disconnected.

I had this happen recently where some varmint chewed on the wires going into the trailer brakes. Reconnected the wires and put a covering over them and it has been fine since.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you checked the wiring on the trailer? If the lights work your wiring using a ground is good. However the wiring for the brakes may be disconnected.
If you can, a relatively easy way to check the trailer brakes is to jack up one side and pull out the plug on the emergency brake release plug. If the wheel still spins then your brakes aren't connected. This assumes you have a safety switch and a trailer battery hooked up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts