DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I have to go truck shopping. Today was NOT a good day. I'll put up some pics later...

I am not in a position to buy a brand new truck. It does look like I can do a deal on a 3rd generation Ram with a V-8 and 4WD. Depending on what I find, I'll probably get a quad cab.

I see two V-8's listed, a 4.7L and the 5.7L HEMI. I'm leanin' towards the 5.7L just because I don't think the 4.7L has what it takes to move the truck and tow the car hauler size trailer with a load on it. But tell me - Hemi or No Hemi?

Tell me about the 3rd generation trucks. Just give me a few of the good things and a few of the bad things. I will also dig into the info here and other places on the 3rd generation.

Thanks everybody.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Spend a little more and go 4th gen if you can, a MUCH better truck. 09's can be had for about the same as 3rd gen's now, they ride better, have more power and better fuel economy and the interior is worlds above a 3rd gen.

If you are stuck and have to go with or you are set on a 3rd gen, Hemi, hands down. The 3rd gen 4.7 (2007 and down) does not make as much power as the 08+ 4.7. It will tow what you are wanting to tow, but it wont like it. The 4th gen 4.7 is MUCH more powerful. I have towed 5,000lbs with mine and not had an issue, even with 3.55 gears. I had an 05 sport with a Hemi and now a 4th gen with the 4.7, I honestly think its just as fast/powerful with a few mods (DSP being the biggest difference) as my 05 was...but the 4th gen was an upgrade in EVERY sense of the word.

So, even if you have to buy one with some miles on it, go for the 09+ if you can swing it at all...you wont regret it.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
depends on the year range you are looking at ^ i dont think because they are newer the 4th gens are any better. The 04 I have I bought off my father this summer, he owned it from new and said it is the best VEHICLE (not just truck) he has ever owned... he has an 08 now that had a few front end issues, tie rods, wheel bearings etc. that the 04 never had... doesnt meen it was a problem for every 08 though, theres always a few with issues... he does like his 08 though. i think it comes down to how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
also regarding the 4.7 vs. 5.7 form what I have seen and this is from when my parents bought what is nmow my truck in 04, the 4.7's have always been as "good" or worse on fuel then the HEMI's, if they are better it isnt by much

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 4.7, but I'd take the 5.7 hemi every time. I've owned a 2007 quad cab hemi, and currently own a 2004 3/4 ton diesel. There are plenty of things that can go wrong with any vehicle. Read these forums and you can probably get an idea of the problem areas. I'm more familiar with the problems on the diesels and 3/4 tons, which it doesn't sound like you are in the market for. I'd just say take a good look at the body and look for rust.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
You'd have to look at what year of the 3rd gens. The 03 is the bastard child of the hemi/magnum, so many parts are almost exclusive to that year; the 04-06 doesn't have MDS, which is a bonus for modding; the 07-08 has MDS and actually get better highway MPG than the 4.7L. The 4.7L has been the same all the way through the years since it came out with very little difference between them, so it's a very good powerplant.

If you're towing, then i'd definately go for the 5.7L since having more power/torque on tap is more important, plus if you do mod it, there's a lot more support from the aftermarket for the hemi.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, everyone. So the 4th gen started with the 2009 model year? I'll see what's available and what the prices look like.

Appreciate it!

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
depends on the year range you are looking at ^ i dont think because they are newer the 4th gens are any better. The 04 I have I bought off my father this summer, he owned it from new and said it is the best VEHICLE (not just truck) he has ever owned... he has an 08 now that had a few front end issues, tie rods, wheel bearings etc. that the 04 never had... doesnt meen it was a problem for every 08 though, theres always a few with issues... he does like his 08 though. i think it comes down to how much money you want to spend.
Reliability wise/mechanically, its not nessecarily a better truck, but just build quality and general niceness...worlds beyond. You cant compare a 3rd gen to a 4th gen. I have owned a 3rd and a 4th gen, my dad had a 2nd gen, and the 4th gen is the nicest Ram to come along, ever, period. I do think the 09's will end up being plauged by the same front end issues as the 3rd gens were as time goes on, but thats not just a ram thing, its a characteristic of pretty much ALL 4wd pickups. All the weight is in the front end, tie-rods, ball joints, etc are going to go bad no matter what.

You'd have to look at what year of the 3rd gens. The 03 is the bastard child of the hemi/magnum, so many parts are almost exclusive to that year; the 04-06 doesn't have MDS, which is a bonus for modding; the 07-08 has MDS and actually get better highway MPG than the 4.7L. The 4.7L has been the same all the way through the years since it came out with very little difference between them, so it's a very good powerplant.

If you're towing, then i'd definately go for the 5.7L since having more power/torque on tap is more important, plus if you do mod it, there's a lot more support from the aftermarket for the hemi.
There is a little bit of mis-info there, the 4.7 was updated in 2008, and while they are the same BASIC powerplant, some internals were changed to add more power, and better fuel economy.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Thanks for the info, everyone. So the 4th gen started with the 2009 model year? I'll see what's available and what the prices look like.

Appreciate it!
Yes, 09+. And since you know now, go with the Hemi in the 4th gen if you can find one. I wasnt aware when I was looking of the huge difference in power, so ignorance was bliss. But my 09 was a year old with 42,000 miles on it when I bought it, it had ONE ding in the rear bumber, and I paid $21,000 out the door. Its an SLT 4x4. thats about as trimmed out as you can get without paying for the big horn package. Dual gloveboxes, power rear sliding window, etc etc. In the used market, expect to pay anywhere from 2-5,000 more for the Hemi.

The only regret I really have about my purchase, is not looking around and seeing what other 4th gens I could find, I bought the first one I saw in the color I wanted. I didnt know about the big-horn, sports, or even the crew-cab vs the quad cab difference. Having driven a crew cab since I bought mine, I WISH I would have gone with that.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK...again, thanks for the input.

I've found 2 trucks so far that I wanna check out over the weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 RAM 4.7 litre Quad 4x4. I've pulled boats up to 22 feet with 225 hp motors on them....no problem. I've towed smaller boats.........no problem.....truck has been great!! 4.7 doesn't have the exceleration of the Hemi I am sure, but a great great engine! I run Amzoil in every place I can on this truck and I think its something I see as a benefit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tomorrow is my day for shopping. I have 4 trucks to look at so wish me luck!

I am really surprised by local prices on a Gen 4 truck with a HEMI. Low miles and low dollars...I can't figure it out.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
If you are in the area of western WA, I can. Its gas prices. Get em while they are low cause when the gas price drops the resale will go back up! I have been following the trend for a year or so now. For some reason, my 4.7 is worth more now than it was a year ago, I think it has something to do with the motor. People see 4.7 and not 5.7 and they think its better on gas. Truth be told they are about the same LOL.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in Prosser so am shopping Walla Walla and Pendleton markets. Lots of low mileage, good condition, Gen 4 trucks available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts