DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a v10 around town the other day when I was driving my Ecodiesel. If figured it had to be based on the one in the Viper. Can anyone share some more info on this truck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lots of low end power. Pulls every bit as well as a 12v cummins down low and has good acceleration up high. 8.0L (488ci) 300hp @4200RPM and 450 ft ibs @2400RPM. Very esay to maintain engine. Has a very unique exhaust note. Doesn't sound like a V8 at all, very loud, nasty, and noticeable. Also 8.8-11MPG seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is viper based but shares little common parts. The common parts are likely internal bolts and sensors. The block is iron and a Y deep skirt style. Aluminam pistons, forged connecting rods (same as the 5.2V8), and a cast iron crank (pretty sure it's iron I know it's cast).

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
When and why did we get a V10 section in the 4th gen subforum?? Only 2nd gen HDs that came with the iron block LA based (actually I guess they are both LAs) V10, and 3rd gen SRT-10 Ram 1500s that had the Viper's aluminum V10 in them ever came with V10s.

I want a 2nd gen HD one pretty bad by the way, my next truck will probably be one. They can be hard to get parts for like sensors and stuff but the actual engine will run forever. It was developed as an alternative to the Cummins fr those who lived where diesel was hard to come by or didn't want a diesel for whatever reason. It made 450 lb-ft of torque at 2400 RPM, so taking off from a stoplight it made more torque than my Hemi will at its peak of 4800 RPM, and I don't run the tach that high leaving stoplights unless its uphill with a trailer. It is a far better engine than Ford's 6.8L Triton V10.

It is not viper based and the engines do not have a single interchangeable part, though you can modify crank speed sensors from a Viper to work if you need to. The only things they have in common are pushrod dimensions (though they are made from different materials), displacement, and number of cylinders.

The SRT-10s had an 8.3L V10, the heavy duties got an 8.0L

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
What THunderhorse said. Not similar engines, with the Viper, other than its being a V-10.
Sensors are hard to find, reason why some have had to figure out how to mod Viper sensors to work.

Will tow the entire town, underground plumbing and all, and never miss a beat.
BEAST of a Truck.

9.9mpg, according to the EVIC. Hnad calculated is a lot less, causing one to never hand calculate again. EVIC looks good, even if it is a known lie.
Like when your Wife sez she loves you.
You know better but it still sounds preferable to "I hope you die in your sleep!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.