DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 96 dodge ram 1500 pickup 2wd, ok the problem iam having is that the temp guage in the truck when the motor is at operating temp shows any where from 220 to 240 on the temp guage, installed new coolant temp switch because the old [veryold] one broke at the connector, before it broke worked fine no problems, changed thrmosat still samething, changed water pump and still the same, so i took my lazer temp guage and the heads, block, water pump, upper rad hose, and the sensor all show a temp of around 180 but the guage inside the truck shows 220to 240 any ideas thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also does anyone know what a p1391 code is, i think its a dealer code but not sure what its for, if anyone knows???, i cleared the codes and it has not come back up, the other tech at the shop i work at said that maybe some trash got in the way of the crankshaft sensor??? thanks any help would be great

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
This could be a wring/connection issue......or a bad sensor.
P1391 means an intermittent loss of signal form either the Cam or Crack position sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im having the same problems with my 01, I broke my sensor removing the valve covers... I replaced the sensor, checked wiring and no changes, I unhooked the battery to reset the computer but it will just peg out. I don't even have the engine running and it says its way to hot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This will sound stupid, but it fixed mine. the plug for the sensor pull it off the sensor and check to see if both female spades are all the way down. those plugs are known to do that stupid stuff. let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Its the connector not grounding right causing false reading for temp sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts