DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything is new radiator, hoses, thermostat etc. Only the water pump is the original that came with the truck... NO leaks, coolant level is good.

The truck runs HOT getting up to 250 degrees unless I keep my temperature dial to the max heat setting, even then it will stay around 205-215 degrees. I already tried burping the air out for about an hour using a Lisle Spill Free Funnel. I don't know if I need to burp the air some more, or buy a thermostat that requires lower heat to open.

Let me know of any advice ya'll can think of,

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does that mean you have the original fan clutch? Does it over heat going 60 mph on the highway?
Original fan clutch.. Yeah it does get a bit high on the highway, never redline, but inching close. I'm afraid if I keep driving it I will warp the heads and fry the gaskets:/ the temp. really varies, it can get up to 240-ish, but as long as I keep the thermostat on the highest heat setting it will stay around 215.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If it was overheating with the old parts on it i would say it's the pump. At highway speed you have enough air threw the radiator to cool it regardless of the fan clutch. I've seen similar issues where people have had the same problem and when they remove the pump they find it's missing some of the impeller blades or just corroded to nothing. When you install a t stat drill a small 1/8 hole in the body of it. This will allow the air out of the system when you fill it.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Could be you need to flush the system. I had a 69 Charger once that got hot unless the heat was on and it needed to be flushed to clean out the system. I would be careful with the flush products though. I flushed a 318 once using a cooling system additive and ended up causing a head gasket leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.