DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all. Thought I would share my opinions about the test drive me and the wife took the other day. We went into the day with a complete open mind between the Silverado and Ram. Both were 1500's and both were crew cab 4wd models. Big Horn edition for the Ram and Z-71 LT model for the Silverado.

1st Impressions:
Looks-
The first truck we test drove was the Silverado. All black with the z-71 appearance package. I really liked the look of the truck and thought it was much better looking than those with the chrome bumpers. Overall I was impressed more than I thought I would be.
The Ram was the second truck we test drove and I was already starting to become attached to the Silverado. Upon first glance, the Ram dominated the Silverado in the looks department. Wow! Dodge designed one great looking truck. Just the overall feeling and size of the Ram was awesome. My only issue is deciding if I liked the Quad Cab or Crew Cab better! Winner= RAM

Ride-
The ride comparison was also a win for the Ram. Although in my opinion I didn't feel a night and day difference between the two trucks. I felt the Ram absorbed the small bumps in the road a bit better , while the two trucks were comparable at handling the larger bumps like sewer caps, train tracks, etc... Winner= Ram

Performance-
Hands down the RAM is the clear winner in this department. The Hemi is awesome in this truck. Even the 5 speed transmission (Ram calls it a 6 speed) felt like it shifted smoother than the Chevy's 6 speed trans. The power difference was what sold me on the RAM though. No comparison between the 5.3 Vortec and the Hemi. If Ram does decide to release a true 6 speed (assuming no 8 speed for the V-8) for the Hemi next year, and in return can increase their mpg's to close the gap with Chevy's 5.3L, I would be in truck heaven! Winner= RAM

Space-
Seeing how both were Crew Cabs, I was surprised by how much bigger the Ram felt. Everything just felt bigger and more spacious in the Ram, especially the back seat. The Silverado does have a slightly bigger bed with the crew cab measuring in at 5'9" to the Ram's 5'7" bed. Two inches may not seem like a lot, but it does make a difference.

Conclusion-
After one short afternoon of comparing the two, the RAM is the truck for me. My only problem now is going through the torture of waiting to find out if the 2013's will get an updated transmission to go along with the mid-cycle refresh. Even if no updated transmission, I would still be willing to buy the RAM over the Chevy's up to date 6 speed. My other dilemma is deciding between the more proportional and sportier look of the quad cab or the functionality and overall tank like feeling of the Crew Cab! That's a good problem to have though.

Sorry for the rambling, I tend to do that from time to time. Just wanted to share my excitement about RAM trucks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
My mother has a 2011 GMC Sierra and the ride is pretty comparable to the RAM until you hit washboard roads, The GMC goes straight sideways, whereas the RAM stays straight and True. The fuel mileage is better on the GMC (12000kms, 20mpg) than my RAM (750kms, 15-17), Though the RAM has WAY more power, hopefully I will get better mileage with more miles. I definetly like the interior and room far better in the RAM than the GMC. The ONLY thing I like better on the GMC than the RAM is Power Folding Mirrors. Please Dodge, make this an option. Best of luck with your new truck!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Your comments on the interior room were a big surprise for me too. My '12 Ram was the first vehicle in a long time that I actually had to scoot the front seat a little closer to the steering wheel to operate comfortably...and that's not a complaint. The cab is roomy and very comfortable. I'm a GM guy for most of my life, but I've been thoroughly pleased with the Ram. On that power issue, you have to go to the 6.2 engine in the GM for a more equal comparison, and the prices for any trucks with that engine are ridiculous.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I don't think we're going to see the ZF 8 speed trans in the Rams for a while, unless it's behind the Pentastar V6. :( Although there has been much excitement about the possibility, all leaked info seems to suggest that the 5/6 speed will be behind the Hemi for a couple more model years. I so hope this is not the case, as a true 8 speed done right would be a huge asset for those of us that tow a lot. I'm doe to trade mine in 2013, but will likely hold out to see if the 8 speed makes it's debut in 2014.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I agree some Chevys do look good, but not as good as the Ram does!

Quad vs Crew was an easy choice for me. It comes down to how much you are gonna use that back seat. And for me, that is not very often. The quad does look more proportionate too. More like how a truck should look. I'm 5'10 and when I went to test drive, they had a quad cab in the showroom. I moved the drivers seat all the way back and then got in the back seat. My knees still didn't hit the seat. Sold on the quad

Good luck with your choice. Glad to know we got another person lookin to buy a Ram.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The RAM is a newer and better truck. The new Silverado's and GMC's debuted in 2007. The new RAM in 2009. The Chevy is probably the most outdated of the new trucks right next to the Nissan Titan. The 5.3L is overdue for either major changes or replacement with a new motor, it doesn't have the horsepower or the torque of it's competitors and costs just about as much which makes it not worth my money. If you want power comparable to the RAM or new Fords you are looking at upgrading to a 6.2L which I believe you have to get in the 2500 which is much more money.

For the money I think the RAM is the best truck.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
In my test drives...I did not test drive a Government Motors vehicle...... But I did test drive all of Fords engine offerings. No other truck engine is as "good" IMHO as the 5.7L HEMI.
The Eco Boost V-6 has some good useable power but...its still a V6...not for me. The 5.0L is a definate improvement over the 5.4L but its just not all that "beastly".
The engine in Fords lineup that comes closest to the 5.7L is the 6.2L. Its a definate beast as well.

PS I have a Quad cab....After having Ford Super Crews in the past...I wish I would have got the Crew Cab RAM.
And YES, although none of the big 3 makes a ugly truck, The 4rth Gen RAM's are the best looking truck on the road right now.
The way alot of dealerships are giving them away right now, they are also the best value/bang for the buck you can get.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't think we're going to see the ZF 8 speed trans in the Rams for a while, unless it's behind the Pentastar V6. :( Although there has been much excitement about the possibility, all leaked info seems to suggest that the 5/6 speed will be behind the Hemi for a couple more model years. I so hope this is not the case, as a true 8 speed done right would be a huge asset for those of us that tow a lot. I'm doe to trade mine in 2013, but will likely hold out to see if the 8 speed makes it's debut in 2014.
brad, the more I read about that ZF8 it looks like it's basically a car tranny. I'm guessing it's just not robust enough for a pickup with any real power or towing capability. That could change, but beefing up a tranny originally designed primarily as a car tranny may not be economically feasable or within the physical constraints of the case or internal components. The number of gear options aside, I'd rather have a truck tranny that remains more reliable and capable. In fact I think all brands of pickups have had more auto tranny issues in recent years because of efforts to have more bells and whistles like car trannies and try to provide unrealistic mileage goals at the expense of reliability. I think I've seen you mention similar issues on some past posts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This thread is like Deja Vu for me....

I took the "pepsi challenge" so to speak with all the trucks before I bought my Ram, and it ultimately came down to these two exact trucks. For me, the look of the Ram kept bringing me back, despite the Z71 package on the Chevy being all of what I wanted on my wish list. Being a GM guy all my life it was probably easier to settle with what I know so well having owned many Chevy's. However, like the bad girl in high school I couldn't stop looking at Ram...both outside and the inside design. Chrysler did a really nice job with the lines, and function of this truck. :smileup:

I really thought the Ram rode better than the Chevy. Matter of fact I almost remember Chrysler doing some sort of test comparison video of all the manufactures, and they obviously claimed and showed how smooth the Ram was compared to the other brands. I found the Chevy to have more road noise, and a stiffer truck like ride. Obivously, your gonna get that with a leaf spring vs. coil suspension comparison.

Performance hands down one word...Hemi. No comparison, and as many people have said the 5.3 is a good motor but it's old. I had one in my 2003 and other than the 6 speed transmission I felt like i was buying old technology.

The crew cab on the Ram is the largest of all of them...hands down. I specially measured the doors comparing them and the crew cab was almost cavernous in size. Turns out that when I bought my Quad Cab was only because I couldn't track down a crew cab in the color and options I wanted. Ultimately, I found a quad cab which is cheaper in price that the crew so I bought it. Originally I was concerned about my kids not having enough room but how often do they ride with me? I rather have the truck bed space and a little money in my pocket at this stage in my life.

Conclusion: I probably would have been happy with a new Z71 Silverado like many other truck owners who bought one. However, I wanted to get out of the "rut" of the same ole same ole and for me the Ram was just what I was looking for. It's not perfect, but it has most of what I was looking for, and of all the trucks I've owned it's the one who gets the most compliments. :Wow1:

I loved to see a legitimate transmission upgrade for 2013 or 2014 too for the Ram. Chrysler is gonna have to do something because word on the street is that GM has a game changing power plant coming for their new Silverado. If it brings any type of buzz like the Eco-Boost, Chrysler will need to have a game changing 8 speed or people will start looking at the Ram like old technology. Good luck with your new purchase...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just traded in my 2010 ram 4.7 and I tried to go Chevy. I test drove 2, each having upgraded trim packages and 1 of each motor. They were ok but did not wow me at all. I figured since I was buying new I should try something totally different than what I had. I thought I would fall in love and feel better about dropping 30 plus k on something when i already had a nice truck. Well I could not stay away from the express. All around I felt it killed the chevys. I would have liked to look at the Ford's (ex ford man here) but could not justify the price. I would steer anyone I can to go ram and get the most bang for their buck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I test drove both of those trucks as well and agree with your conclusion. With that said I wish I spend the extra money and got the Ford!
You forgot one of two things . .

A JK or an explanation.

My 2011 F-150 5.0 has "The 1-2 transmission issue" and burns 1.5 quarts of oil between changes. I go to the third dealer for the 4th attempt at fixing the tranny on Monday. Lemon law attorney is waiting for the results.

I don't mind a little bit of oil consumption . . . how do the Hemi's do in this regard? I won't buy a Titan for any amount of money . . . The Tundra in Nautical blue is gorgeous but the interior is hideous . . . GM's 5.3 is just too far down on power . . . Bump the torque curve by 50 foot pounds and it might sway me . . .

Depending on my lemon law case, I hope to have the Ram I should have bought a year ago.

NC

·
Registered
42 Posts
First, I'm NOT a Dodge guy. Said my Stratus would be my last Dodge. Seriously, Ram was my last choice. Shopped and drove every new make/model out there except for Nissan. Now I love my Toyota's. Had a supercharged Tacoma that was downright wicked so I really wanted a Tundra. But even finding exactly the options/color I wanted, I just couldn't pull the trigger. Drove a CC Ram on a whim and...Hey, this is kinda nice:wow:. Did a little looking and found my CC Sport while looking at a Big Horn. Best ride/room/power/handling of the bunch and best of all it fits ME. I couldn't touch the wheel and use the armrests in the Ford, made that mistake before. With way more options for less money the Ram won out. And with painted bumpers and dual exhaust on the Sport, it just looks and sounds better too. To top it off I went traded the Stratus on a V6 200 Limited too. Guess I'm turning into a Mopar guy :158:

·
Registered
97 Posts
The RAM is a newer and better truck. The new Silverado's and GMC's debuted in 2007. The new RAM in 2009. The Chevy is probably the most outdated of the new trucks right next to the Nissan Titan. The 5.3L is overdue for either major changes or replacement with a new motor, it doesn't have the horsepower or the torque of it's competitors and costs just about as much which makes it not worth my money. If you want power comparable to the RAM or new Fords you are looking at upgrading to a 6.2L which I believe you have to get in the 2500 which is much more money.

For the money I think the RAM is the best truck.
You can get the 403hp 6.2 half ton for the same price range as the typical Lonestar/Bighorn packaged Ram. I think the initial release had them in LTZ or Denali trim lines in '09. The bright spot to the 6.2 GM is no AFM & you can get it with either a 3.42 or 3.73 locking rear.

Granted GM does not have a equivalent to the Express in terms of bang for buck. But in my opinion(NOT KNOCKING THE TRUCK) the Express trade/resale is going to hurt if you are the sort that trades every two or three years.

That being said, still on the fence. There are things I like with both brands.
Was told earlier on the forum that March may be a better time to get a Ram & know GM is going heavy on the incentives due to age of the truck. Add that to the fact that fuel is going up daily...

·
Registered
153 Posts
You forgot one of two things . .

A JK or an explanation.

My 2011 F-150 5.0 has "The 1-2 transmission issue" and burns 1.5 quarts of oil between changes. I go to the third dealer for the 4th attempt at fixing the tranny on Monday. Lemon law attorney is waiting for the results.

I don't mind a little bit of oil consumption . . . how do the Hemi's do in this regard? I won't buy a Titan for any amount of money . . . The Tundra in Nautical blue is gorgeous but the interior is hideous . . . GM's 5.3 is just too far down on power . . . Bump the torque curve by 50 foot pounds and it might sway me . . .

Depending on my lemon law case, I hope to have the Ram I should have bought a year ago.

NC
I have had the chance to drive a few of the 2011 and 2012 Eco-boost F-150's at work and really like the engine. Can't stand the MDS in my truck and the ford just seemed more polished. They get better milage without having MDS and have a boat load of torque down low. I don't dislike my truck however for me the Ford would have been a better choice.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts