DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched but can't find the answer - so apologies up front if this has been answered already.

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 4.7L. It appears the front axle actuator has failed. Before replacing the actuator I want to test the wiring just to make sure. When I unplug the wiring from the front actuator, its a simple 4-wire plug. Only one wire seems to have any steady power. When we turn the knob to switch to 4-wheel drive, there is no change. Still only one wire (the same wire as before) has power. This is true no matter what I do with the 4wd know (2wd, 4wd or 4-lo). The same one wire has steady power.

My question is - Is it normal to have steady power on one line at all times ? Does anyone know how to test the wiring for the front actuator ?

I figure I could just replace the actuator but I'm trying to save my kid from spending $150 if he doesn't have to !

Thanks in advance !

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The DB/RD will always have B+. The BK will always be grounded. The other two will have voltage as needed to move the actuator. If I were you, I'd start by checking for codes in the TIPM and FDCM that could be related to your problem because there are several other components that could be preventing 4WD operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RamTech - Great call outs.

The only indication of a problem is the 4WD light flashes when we try to go into 4wd. No 'check engine' & no 'Serv 4WD' on the dash board. Both appear functional but are not illuminated. Based on that - I "assume" that means there will not be any codes in the FDCM. I will check the TIPM though.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Thanks RamTech - Great call outs.

The only indication of a problem is the 4WD light flashes when we try to go into 4wd. No 'check engine' & no 'Serv 4WD' on the dash board. Both appear functional but are not illuminated. Based on that - I "assume" that means there will not be any codes in the FDCM. I will check the TIPM though.
You'd think so, but don't bet the farm that there aren't any codes stored. This is sounding more like a transfer case shift motor issue than a FAD problem. I may be mistaken, but if the case doesn't shift, I don't think the FAD will engage. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RamTech, ok - so a bit more detail on what I have done thusfar....

With all 4s off the ground - we tested shifting in and out of 4wd. I can hear and see the transfer case actuator shift when we put it in 4wd. When we turn the knob over to 4wd, you can clearly hear (& feel) the transfer case actuator moving. The front drive shaft turns as well when in 2wd it did not. When we put it back in 2wd - again we can hear and feel the TCA shift back....I'm pretty sure the TCA is OK.

Conversely - when we shift in and out of 4wd, the FAD is quiet.....it does not appear to be shifting at all. Hence my focus on the FAD.

Another piece of info is the problem started out erratic. It worked - then it didnt - if you kept trying it would work again. Finally it stopped working totally.....This leads me to believe its not a fuse problem - although its simple enough to check !

Fun--- fun---- fun

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Gotcha. If there is no power on either of the violet wires during a shift request, it's either a wiring or TIPM issue. There are 2 intermediate connectors where there could be a problem. The easiest check is to ohm out these wires between the TIPM and FAD. If they check good, then the TIPM is the most likely issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARGH....Still having issues....very frustrating.

I've replaced the front actuator & this weekend I replaced the TIPM....STILL having issues. We traced & tested the wires from the actuator all the way to the firewall & all wires tested good. (simple OHM test each wire) We are at our whits end ! Any advice....

Here's a quick summary :
2007 1500 Ram - 4.7L, 4x4, 6-spd manual
When turning the knob on the dash from 2wd to 4wd, the 4wd drive light just blinks.
Transfer case engages but front actuator does not.
The problem is erratic. It started happening once in a while - then a little more often - now I would say it 4wd works 1 out of 50 times switching.

Any ideas ? Any further testing I can do ?

I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I'd hate to take it to the dealer - but I am actually considering it....thats how frustrating this has been....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2007. If you have not seen the TSB for 2006 -2007 Rams. The TSB says the FAD must be changed and the computer reflashed. I am going to try changing mine and disconnecting both battery terminals and touch them together to drain the power to the computer and see if it helps mine. There are also other topics talking about placing your vehicle in N - shifting the Tcase to 4 lo - back to 2wd then to 4 hi. Others claim this resets something in the 4wd system. Let me know if any of this helps you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 no 4 wheel drive

same identical problem. light keeps on flashing and wont go into 4 low or high. at first i had 12volt power only in one wire. i can hear transfer case shifting into low and high, front drive shaft is turning but no action on front axle actuator. after disconnecting the battery cables and leaving them hooked together overnight, i now have power to the other 2 terminals in plug and a ground as well where i did not have it before. so i would like to think that the computer reset itself over night. i still have no action at all from the front actuator and im getting ready to change ($150.00) that in the hopes that it will come alive. i dont understand how this problem can be so prevalent and yet dodge refuses to do anything about it at all. totally disgusted and i refuse to go to dealer.
ANY IDEAS WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED.:doh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all. I know this is an old post but i was hoping someone might have an answer to this issue. I have an 06 1500 with the exact same issue. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The DB/RD will always have B+. The BK will always be grounded. The other two will have voltage as needed to move the actuator. If I were you, I'd start by checking for codes in the TIPM and FDCM that could be related to your problem because there are several other components that could be preventing 4WD operation.
Need help no power to front actuator expect one wire has power all the time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bump this thread... Gas anyone solved this issue? I’m currently having the identical problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue with my 2007 ram 1500
At first, I thought it wash the Tcase shift motor but when I put the truck in 4X4 you can hear it click and the front driveshaft locks up so the motor is working fine. The 4X4 light on dash continues to blink and never stops, I'm planning on installing a new front axle actuator, has anyone come to any conclusions with the problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts