DODGE RAM FORUM banner

The 2018 Ram 1500: Making a top-rated pickup better

1964 17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Mmmm yes! I love speculation; we should start finding out stuff for sure in January or so if the past is any indication.

Now that I am back in the states I have noticed there are a lot of the new Chevies and Fords, but even as an 8 year old generation Rams are still selling like never before; both in overall numbers and when compared to Ford and Chevy. If the 5th gen is done right I think it will overtake Chevy consistently in sales, rather than just for a month or two at a time like we have seen in the past.

What exactly is a 5.7 Apache though?

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Yeah, if you've been following the next gen closely, there's nothing new there really.

I've heard the styling will be polarizing. So there may be more to a shorter, narrower grill.

When you have a truck this good looking, I'm a fan of evolution not revolution. I find revolution works best if you just don't have a good current body style or you've just been stuck in ugly for years.

We'll see!! :)

Thunderhorse, you're right about the sales on this "long in the tooth" design. I keep seeing converts all the time. Guys at work are coming around to RAM, my cousin...who grew up eating, sleeping, thinking and drinking Chebby..now owns a 16 RAM 1500 EcoD. He loves it.

Not sure what the 5.7 Apache is...the Apache is the 6.4L.
Unless the 5.7 went from Eagle to Apache after the 09 revisions?? Which I doubt happened...but I don't know for sure.

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Just a quick search on all par and I found this..
http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming-powertrain.html
"An updated Apache 392 Hemi and Eagle 5.7 Hemi with higher power ratings were both set for calendar-year 2015, according to several sources, but plans change and neither has shown up — it’s possible both efforts were canceleled or delayed. The company may end up with Hemi V8s for trucks and key cars, and turbo V6 power for other cars."

So either the article in OP has a typo or they have changed the code name to Apache due to the rumored upgrades for 18 that they mentioned....???

· Registered
12 Posts
I would really like to see the ecodiesel in the 10000-12000 towing capacity. Kinda like a heavy 1/2 ton. Im gonna hold out getting a new ram until that happens. I love my truck now but a 1500 diesel with 25+mpg that can tow 10000+lbs...count me in!

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily count on it. History has proven that there is no market for a heavy half ton with Ford, Chevy, Nd Ram; given the hundreds of trucks Nnissan has been selling per month I am sure the Titan XD will prove no different

· Registered
340 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
Did you notice the Chrysler logo on the airbag? Maybe they are going after the Lincoln luxury pickup.

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Did you notice the Chrysler logo on the airbag? Maybe they are going after the Lincoln luxury pickup.
I think they just had that because they are going to a different steering wheel with different controls like the 300 uses, and haven't started making them with "RAM" emblems since its just a test mule.

Could be though, then the Limited won't be so "top of the line":LOL:

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
twin turbo pstar sounds interesting.
It would be good competition for Ford, but I wouldn't buy one.

I'd buy a TT V8 though:smiley_thumbs_up:

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Builds 3.8L V8 :LOL:
:sad::LOL:

That's very European of you Striker.

I personally think that there are certain displacement ranges for certain cylinder layouts. Like if its a 5 liter it should be a V8, not a V12 (Ferrari). 3.anything should be a 6

· Registered
3,572 Posts

I personally think that there are certain displacement ranges for certain cylinder layouts. Like if its a 5 liter it should be a V8, not a V12 (Ferrari). 3.anything should be a 6

First of all- welcome back and thank you for your service!

The Ferrari is a 12-ender because of power at high rpm. this makes the cylinder/bore ratio to a short travel, able to keep the piston speed low at high rpm. In formula 1 they even drive with 3L V8. BMW actually had also one for a while in a 5 and 7 series. did not work out, because too much gas because of too high rpm's at lower average speed.
The Ferrari is a super sports car. the RAM is a truck. the Ferrari wants high speed, the RAM wants high torque at low rpm.
that's just how it is. And if you ever drove a V12 (I had the pleasure once on the race track) - you would know- if you would have the choice- sex for life or V12 for life- you would have a hard time, to decide, what you'd rather like.

Btw- Ford has also another V8 Diesel engine in the back, currently also used at Jaguar Land Rover: the 4.4L Griffin V8. this engine would fit perfectly in the F150 and could let the RAM Ecodiesel look old as crap.
If I would be Ford, this would be my choice. RAM would have to rethink the 5.0 Cummins V8 if this is Ford's choice.

Actually- I don't like the fact that ford has the aluminum body. I also don't like the new grille. it looks "spongie".
But other than that- the issues they have are mostly related to the engines, where the 5.0 is the only engine without negative surprises. If ford, this would be my choice. If they come up with the 10-speed combined with the 5.0, they really catch up with the Hemi and 8-speed. Additionally a few suspension improvements and RAM will have a hard time to keep up. I'm just thinking realistic, because Ford is still the best selling truck in America.

· Registered
5,831 Posts

I agree, anything from 3-4.2 is a 6 and 4.2-6.2 is an 8 and anything more should be a V10.

First of all- welcome back and thank you for your service!

The Ferrari is a 12-ender because of power at high rpm. this makes the cylinder/bore ratio to a short travel, able to keep the piston speed low at high rpm. In formula 1 they even drive with 3L V8. BMW actually had also one for a while in a 5 and 7 series. did not work out, because too much gas because of too high rpm's at lower average speed.
The Ferrari is a super sports car. the RAM is a truck. the Ferrari wants high speed, the RAM wants high torque at low rpm.
that's just how it is. And if you ever drove a V12 (I had the pleasure once on the race track) - you would know- if you would have the choice- sex for life or V12 for life- you would have a hard time, to decide, what you'd rather like.

Btw- Ford has also another V8 Diesel engine in the back, currently also used at Jaguar Land Rover: the 4.4L Griffin V8. this engine would fit perfectly in the F150 and could let the RAM Ecodiesel look old as crap.
If I would be Ford, this would be my choice. RAM would have to rethink the 5.0 Cummins V8 if this is Ford's choice.

Actually- I don't like the fact that ford has the aluminum body. I also don't like the new grille. it looks "spongie".
But other than that- the issues they have are mostly related to the engines, where the 5.0 is the only engine without negative surprises. If ford, this would be my choice. If they come up with the 10-speed combined with the 5.0, they really catch up with the Hemi and 8-speed. Additionally a few suspension improvements and RAM will have a hard time to keep up. I'm just thinking realistic, because Ford is still the best selling truck in America.
I'll take the V12.....not even really a question if you ask me....

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
I agree, anything from 3-4.2 is a 6 and 4.2-6.2 is an 8 and anything more should be a V10.

I'll take the V12.....not even really a question if you ask me....
...but like a 10 liter V12

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.