DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning the local shop put in a nice new magnaflow exhaust for me. While they were at it they put in a new y pipe. It's pretty neat seeing how different mechanics interpret how parts should go. My mechanic cut the pipes fairly close to the cats and ran new pipe to the y. Then he left a pretty good length of stock straight pipe. Then he attached the new muffler back to the new tips (which are massive and sweet). Overall, I'm very pleased. The sound is loud, but not too loud. I've been driving around with the windows down and the radio off since I picked it up. I do hear the MDS drone, but I think it's more because I am listening for it. I wanted to ask a couple questions about the finished product.

I asked that everything be welded in, but it looks like he also used the clamps. Would he weld then put the clamps over the welds? Do any of you know what the silver grey paste looking stuff is? I'd guess its some type of epoxy.
Also, will I run into any issues with the pipe coming from the drivers side to the y being as low as it is?

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've only been on the forum for a short while and I've already done so much to my truck. My fishing time has decreased dramatically. Here are the pics.

Grey paste under clamp:

Y pipe parallel to the ground:

Low pipe coming from drivers side cat:

Pipe from the passenger side to the new y piping:

Y to the muffler:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Looks to me like he used a clamped method for that joint you mention. I'd speculate the gray stuff might be antiseize...helps when slipping the two pipes together.

Looks like nice work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks to me like he used a clamped method for that joint you mention. I'd speculate the gray stuff might be antiseize...helps when slipping the two pipes together.

Looks like nice work.
It's muffler cement to seal leaks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks great man now get a video up so we can hear that bad boy!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nice work there....have had Magnaflow put on four vehicles and am completely biased for their parts.

Enjoy and put up some video of it when possible.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice work on the pipes, hoping to get mine done soon . I'm trying to find a good shop. One that u'll do what you want , not what they want...

·
Registered
21 Posts
What Y pipe and size did you use? Looks good man...I have the mufflex muffler with removed resonators and I was wanting to do the Y pipe thing but my muffler guy said that it really wouldnt make a difference..Do you think that it made a difference by adding the Y pipe? Thankds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts