DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So its been awhile since i have been on here. I have been battling FCA for months on the paint coming off my Blue Streak Pearl 2015 Ram.

In January 2018 I noticed the paint peeling off my hood. (See attached photos). I went to my dealer where i bought the truck (Hoyte DCJR in Sherman TX) and the service manager there said that the damage was caused by a rock chip. Because i had over 36k miles i was told to call FCA Customer Care and open a case to see if I could get it goodwilled.

The case manager talked to the service manager while i was standing there and he said to her "it is not a defect". Knowing this would be a problem i had already gone to 3 body shops in my area, one of which is the body shop that dealer subs out all their paint work to. All 3 said the same thing: "Delamination of basecoat from primer caused by improper surface prep."

I sent info the FCA and they stood firm. After 6 weeks of back and forth with them, i paid out of pockrt to have the hood media blasted and repainted, then I moved on. FCA's final decision the day they hung up on me was "the service managers are our eyes and ears, if they say its not a defect, then its not. As a result, we have determined that this issue was caused by outside influence and we are not responsible" and they hung up on me.

I was livid, but at least my beautiful blue truck was fixed.

In mid june, i got up in my truck bed to wash and wax my trucks roof. To my horror, there was paint just sheeting off, in much the same way it did on the hood.

This time, I went to another dealer (Dodge City, McKinney TX) and the service manager there said...and I quote: "This is terrible, and yes it is a defect. I have seen 8 trucks this year have this happen, 2 of them were only on the lot a week before we noticed it, and the rest had the paint coming off when we peeled the white shipping plastic off them."

He wrote it up, and took pictures to send to FCA while i called and opened a new case with customer care.

A few days later, Janet at FCA calls me and tells me they are sticking by the decision reached on my first case. I called her out, saying that In January, they said they will always side with the service manager in matters like this. Now i have the same problem in a different spot on the truck and a different service manager says its a defect and now you wont take their side or mine?! Hypocrisy much?! She informed me her decision was final and hung up on me AGAIN.

I called my service manager and come to find out she didnt even speak to him. He has been trying to contact her as have I since then, with no response. She wont answer his calls and when she does answer mine, she hangs up immediately when she finds out its me.

Here is the thing...I know its out of the 3/36k warranty (which is where paint coverage that isnt corrosion ends). But it was out of that warranty in Sept 2015. I bought it in April of that year. So they are telling me that if I had brought the truck in in october 2015 with 40k on it, they would have told me to get lost? What kind of horseshit is this? I have spent a quarter of a million dollars on Rams in the last decade, between my business and personal vehicles. I talk up the brand to anyone I know and I have never had a shitty experience with them in any of those trucks.

I don't know what im supposed to do here? I have a 16 year old lexus in my garage with 200k miles and it still has the original paint! WTF!?

Sorry for the novel, but am i wrong for thinking Ram should step up and make an exception here? Im not asking for the entire truck to be repainted. I'm not asking for my money back for the previous repair, I'll just eat that at this point. All I want is my roof stripped to bare metal and repainted. FCA is going to lose a lifelong customer, over a $500 (for them) repair.

Whats really the worst part is, I love my truck. Its paid for, and in every other way, it has been absolutely flawless. I was rady to buy a 2019 limited when they came out, until this happened. I have never asked FCA for anything. And I dont expect anything, except that they hold themselves accountable when the situations call for it.

So...with all that said...where do I go from here? 20180613_175701_1532224134099.jpg 20180613_175701_1532224134099.jpg 20180613_175701_1532224134099.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah, Id be pissed too. I think someone else on the forum had an issue with paint on their hood too, but I cant remember if RAM ended up covering it for them.

No offense to the RAM Cares people on the forum, but if all the customer help line does is "side with whatever the dealer says", are they really helping us? or just making it LOOK like they are helping us (i.e. putting a good front up on the internet)

FWIW I went thru a similar thing...not paint related, but when it came down to it the answer was always "well Im not there, the dealer is, so I have to go with what they tell me". Because we all know 100% of dealers are perfect, take the time to actually troubleshoot, etc....right?

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big paint problem https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=243283

That person was me lol ^^

I am seriously at wits end. The worst part is, Rams are my favorite trucks. Nobody else makes trucks that drive as good, or look as good.

Unfortunately they apparently let drunk 6 year olds paint them.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
FCA has a new CEO. I would send a registered letter directly to him with copies of the problems and the communication that you have received from both service managers and the FCA rep. I would explain the past purchase history and how the future purchases are now in question. A friend did this with his Ford Tempo diesel had died and the dealer and district service manager did what's happening to you. He got a call from the President , who told him that a new engine was on its way and he would be contacted by the dealer when it arrived and also said he would get a loaner while this was all happening. Sometimes you just have to stir the right Sh1t pile. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Big paint problem https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=243283

That person was me lol ^^

I am seriously at wits end. The worst part is, Rams are my favorite trucks. Nobody else makes trucks that drive as good, or look as good.

Unfortunately they apparently let drunk 6 year olds paint them.
I had no idea...thats horrible! Youd figure maybe they would think if it happened again its an actual issue.

Writing a letter is a good idea, Id also start spamming their (dealer, FCA, RAM) social media accounts with pics of the paint issues.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,247 Posts
Be interesting to see if the "Ramcares" people who inhabit this forum will respond to this situation. To have an FCA customer care rep deny the first claim because the service manager said it was a rock chip (oh please!!), then deny the second claim without even talking to the second service manager who accurately diagnosed the problem, then subsequently refusing to return call is just chickenshit.
We're about to find out if the Ramcares account here is what it claims to be, and not just a PR feel-good stunt.

The idea that it's not a defect is absurd. Auto paint (or any quality paint for that matter) doesn't de-laminate and then peel off like that unless there's mistakes made in the application process or in the formulation of the paint itself - it's plainly an adhesion failure, and to interpret it as anything else is just laughable.

So, Ramcares, the ball is in your court.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have owned Dodge trucks since 1991 and my father has owned them since 1987 and just adding my .002 on Ram " pretends to " care and I feel for you. I am going thru a similar thing with a power train/engine issue with Ram cares and they are a joke, they are never there when you try to contact them and took them 5 days to return calls from someone who wasn't even my case worker(because I pushed them to stop ignoring me and demanded answers). The issue I am having is not been repaired as the dealer and Ram are clueless as to what it is and I was told drive it till it breaks so they can diagnose what was failing. Ram only covered over it with free warranty which should have been part of the purchase of the truck to begin with. Pay $50,000 plus for a truck and no customer service? come on.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It was obviously a defect from the beginning. After it’s happened in two spots now, I’d want the whole truck repainted, and FCA should cover that.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It was obviously a defect from the beginning. After it’s happened in two spots now, I’d want the whole truck repainted, and FCA should cover that.
Well, remember, there was a chip on the hood that started it all...it must have been contagious and spread through the windshield to the roof.

:)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well, remember, there was a chip on the hood that started it all...it must have been contagious and spread through the windshield to the roof.

:)
That’s unfortunate because I live in the same county he lives in, and even though I’m paying over $11K in property taxes, they don’t know how to pave roads here. Instead, they’re all oil coated chat roads, which means you get a lot of rocks to the front. We all have tons of rock chips here. I hope the contagious chips don’t bite me too:smiledown: lol

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Jeez, I'm sorry to see this is still going on Army! Usually paint adhesion issues happen on white vehicles for whatever reason, or to aluminum panels-but the roofs are steel. Hopefully they step up and you get a repaint.

Blue streak is my favorite color too. My wife is trying to get me to trade Thunderhorse for an HD Sport in Delmonico, but I think if I did that it'd have to be Blue Streak. Maybe not if it has adhesion problems.

If you do write FCA, you might mention that you're active on a Ram board with over 110,000 members and are posting your experience there. Maybe the PR angle would be enough to get them to step up

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,652 Posts
What products do you use to maintain the vehicle, including soap solution? Paint/clearcoat typically doesn’t all of a sudden jump off after 3-5 years. It will fade and crack in your climate if not protected, and in extreme heat leave from the surface.

Looking at both locations of the separation, it’s 100 percent due to heat and would happen to any vehicle if not maintained. Most people don’t wax and protect the top of a truck because A. Nobody sees it and B. It’s difficult to easily reach. IIRC your hood had a similar issue, aluminum doesn’t bond paint as well as steel.

Either way I hope there is a resolution for you. On the other hand, I’m thankful I live where I can’t feel my face outdoors a few months out of the year.

It’s also directly on the crease, they may have been light with a batch on the line so definitely get this out there if more cases arise.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I agree it protection is necessary for your paint but no paint should be peeling off in 3-4 years even if it was never washed or waxed. Their appears to be a defect with the adhesion of the paint to the primer.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Either way I hope there is a resolution for you. On the other hand, I’m thankful I live where I can’t feel my face outdoors a few months out of the year.

You think so? I clayed my hood twice last time because there was so much crap in it; I put an extra coat of wax on my roof and hood compared to the rest of the truck too

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What products do you use to maintain the vehicle, including soap solution? Paint/clearcoat typically doesn’t all of a sudden jump off after 3-5 years. It will fade and crack in your climate if not protected, and in extreme heat leave from the surface.

Looking at both locations of the separation, it’s 100 percent due to heat and would happen to any vehicle if not maintained. Most people don’t wax and protect the top of a truck because A. Nobody sees it and B. It’s difficult to easily reach. IIRC your hood had a similar issue, aluminum doesn’t bond paint as well as steel.

It’s also directly on the crease, they may have been light with a batch on the line so definitely get this out there if more cases arise.
Are you serious? I take better care of my paint than pretty much anyone.

It gets washed with meguiars gold class, clayed, polished and sealed with meguiars professional line products 4x a year. I do it myself. In between that I was with gold class one a week, wax with M26 monthly. And yes, the roof gets it too....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Are you serious? I take better care of my paint than pretty much anyone.

It gets washed with meguiars gold class, clayed, polished and sealed with meguiars professional line products 4x a year. I do it myself. In between that I was with gold class one a week, wax with M26 monthly. And yes, the roof gets it too....
Wait until FCA tells you that its your fault for taking care of the paint too much.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,652 Posts
Ok just asking questions and making observations, does it sit outside in the southern middle of the day dry heat a lot? For someone who says they are as meticulous as you are, that condition happened overnight or throughout a week between washes?

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,247 Posts
Looking at both locations of the separation, it’s 100 percent due to heat and would happen to any vehicle if not maintained. Most people don’t wax and protect the top of a truck because A. Nobody sees it and B. It’s difficult to easily reach.
No, I'm not buying that at all.

I have an almost 20 year old Tundra that hasn't had more than the dust/mud/snow/ice washed off of it for 15 years and only periodically at that, nor has it been waxed even once in all that time, and the paint has zero adhesion problems.

We had a early model Subaru Legacy some years ago for many years and that got exactly the same treatment. Zero problems.
We had another Subaru, an Outback, for 10 years. Same treatment and zero problems. None of our vehicles are garaged either.

Some people would likely prefer I use the word "mistreatement" rather than "treatment", and by comparison to the way most folks on this forum say they treat their vehicles, that's probably a fair criticism.
We've never been ones for fussing about appearances just so long as mechanically things do what they're supposed to do when we want them to do it.

The point I'm making is that for for the last 40 years or so, just about any auto paint will handle the most wretched conditions (here in the Colorado mountains the sun is really intense in the summertime, and in winter temperatures are routinely below zero, sometimes for weeks on end) without much maintenance at all and without delaminating like in the examples shown in this comment thread.

Paints will fade, yes, with some colors being more "fugitive" than others, and clear coats will certainly dull and even decay from corrosive atmospheric contaminants if not protected fairly regularly. And unattended chips will allow rust to spread under the paint surface eventually causing things to bust loose.

But de-lamination coming off in sheets like we see here, from failed adhesion, either between the primer and the metal or between topcoats and primer?
No, sorry, that's a defect, always and everywhere.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I agree with 9thousand

Ive seen plenty of older vehicles (and even some of my own) where the clearcoat would degrade...you get chalky white spots, spots where the base coat is clearly exposed, etc but ive never seen paint come off in sheets on a car.

On my own wood or metal projects? Absolutely Ive seen paint come off in sheets....why? Because I didnt prep the surface correctly.

The fact its happened twice on the same vehicle should be clear evidence that something went wrong with the paint process on that vehicle. Add in the fact that Warren doesnt have exactly the most modern paint setup, and FCA really should be taking care of it, its CLEARLY an issue from when the vehicle was initially painted.

Even when it was just the hood it was pretty hard to swallow that it was the owners fault, but now the same thing on a completely separate body panel? At what point is it really a manufacturing defect? When the truck is all light gray primer?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts