DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 has 27,000 miles on it already. Had it at the dealership today and they said at 30,000 miles I had to get the plugs replaced and continued to tell me that it had 16 spark plugs. That I didn't know...must have something to do with the cylinder deactivation stuff. Maybe this is already known, but I had no idea.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yep, and it applies to the 2003 Hemi's too. Welcome to the club.:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
My 2011 has 27,000 miles on it already. Had it at the dealership today and they said at 30,000 miles I had to get the plugs replaced and continued to tell me that it had 16 spark plugs. That I didn't know...must have something to do with the cylinder deactivation stuff. Maybe this is already known, but I had no idea.
I believe the dual spark plugs have more to do with meeting emissions standards. You can read up on it a bit more here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Memory

Hello,

If memory serves, one set of 8 should be replaced well before the other set. I am sure it is in the manuals. Unless both sets are OVERDUE, it is one before the other. Let me know if I am wrong.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wrong....all 16 at the same time.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Hello,

If memory serves, one set of 8 should be replaced well before the other set. I am sure it is in the manuals. Unless both sets are OVERDUE, it is one before the other. Let me know if I am wrong.
That is correct for the 4.7, but the 5.7 Hemi requires replacement of all 16 at 30K miles interval. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thnx

That is correct for the 4.7, but the 5.7 Hemi requires replacement of all 16 at 30K miles interval. :)
Yes I have the 4.7 thats why I said that, didn't actually see his 5.7.

Thanks for the update

·
Registered
153 Posts
Every Hemi that I have seen with plugs changed at 30k seemed in good condition. Gap had not changed, the plug was not worn, and they were clean. I'm changing mine at 60k.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does the 2009 Hemi have 16 plugs as well?? Good grief!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yes we do....glad I still have another 5k miles before changing mine...that's one good thing about being military, being gone a lot keeps the miles low lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd be real interested to see what condition those plugs are in after 30k miles. This feels like the old addage that every car needs an oil change at 3k miles. Most don't need it, but if the shop can get you do it it's more money in their pockets. Some might be bad at 30k, most will probably not need replacing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since 2003 yes.

If you have a 2003+ Hemi you have 16 plugs.

If you have a 2008+ 4.7 you have 16 plugs 8 of which are iridium or some shit that will last 100k, the others being copper. Don't remember which one was which.

I changed the plugs in my 3rd Gen Hemi...I remember taking the passenger tire off and removing the wheel well liner to get at them on the passenger side. Took about 3 hours to change the plugs.

It can be done. I have not tried on the 4th gen Ram yet but I'll do it myself. No way will I pay what a dealer wants.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
My truck currently has 41000ish miles. I did the plug change at about 32000 miles and they were worn slightly but still in pretty good shape. I don't drive my truck lightly either. I usually tow anywhere from 3000-7500 lbs.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I wonder how much location i going to play into this as far as plug wear.

I know the gas out here in CA isnt much better than water down dog piss compared to the gas i used to be able to get in the mid west. Id imagine the gas out here will do a lot more damage to the plugs

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As man don't tell me Cali has crappy gas....I have 32 plugs to deal with lol

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
As man don't tell me Cali has crappy gas....I have 32 plugs to deal with lol
haha sorry to burst your bubble man...

Where in CA are you??

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ah not As....(note to self, stop using "smart phone" to post in forums)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts