DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
28th 18 Dodge ram 1500 tradesmen we went off into a ditch but 3' ditch when off on the passenger side come to the end of the ditch hit pretty hard on the ripraf On the passenger side front wheel bumper when we come out a hit bumper fires Dukes of Hazzard style out of it broke a whole bunch of stuff there is a lot of damage to the firewall where the tire and all went up into it

·
Registered
678 Posts
Looks to be suspension primarily. Control arm maybe a spring and shock. What I would look to is actual frame. Cracked welds or paint flaking on frame. Repairs under about 70% of replacement cost its yours, over that they consider totaling.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,117 Posts
Welcome to Ramforumz! Sorry to hear about your truck. I hope everyone was okay? But I think you'll be surprised, depending on your insurance company, it may NOT be totaled. Take a look at what happened to my 2017 Ram Big Horn (Click the link at the bottom of my signature.). I was surprised to find out, they even offered to replace the frame, on top of the body damage. It wasn't till they found extended damage to the transfer case & transmission, they decided to total mine. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Depends alot on what state you live in and your insurance carrier. Here in Okra-Homer, it'd definitely be totaled as an insurance company could get so much salvage money from sheet metal and doors. Most salvage complete pick-up front doors go for up to $4000, a hood can be $1600, each headlight $200, so totaling it out is GOOD for the insurance company. With a trade-in of $17,500 and the MOST they would have to pay here would be $12,500, minus your deductible,it'd already be in the insurance companies impound. One of the big things is can you go after the insurance company if it isn't repaired properly, as they say "Fit(ness) for purpose" clause. Farmers in Western OK in wheat country got tired of getting back wrecks that "dog-legged" or drove in two lanes at once. Allstate got HAMMERED for that about 15 years ago here.

·
Registered
678 Posts
And they dont have to use new parts. Most have a clause "LQK" Like kind quality, IE: same year model truck from.......salvage yard. So come to think of it, they make money twice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly if your fully insured and have gap insurance I would pray for totaled. Glad everyone came out ok

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly! Used MOPAR sheet metal sells for nearly triple of "after-market" paper-thin sheet metal. Today's price: Gen IV Ram standard tailgate $2200 salvage has some sheet metal dings (less than 4 hours prep or $350). "Quality Parts Products" $1100 new in primer.I could sell a low mileage Hemi and tranny and rear end on FeeBay for $12-13 grand.

·
Super Moderator
34,693 Posts
As expensive as trucks are these days I doubt the truck is totaled. Once they can check it for frame straightness you'll know a lot more, but there have been members here get their frames replaced on their Rams because it was more cost effective for the insurance company

1 - 9 of 9 Posts