DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hoping you all can give me some real world facts about mpg in your cummins engines because I'm thinking about making the switch.
Here's a little back story to start. I currently own an 01 ram sport 1500 with the 5.9(360) motor. I love my truck but I've been cursing about the terrible fuel mileage (only about 11mpg at best) for a while now, I keep it tuned up, religiously change the oil, and do whatever necessary repairs to ensure it runs properly. But I think I've had enough and I realize that the 360 was never built with fuel economy in mind.
I almost twice now I just about traded in my truck for a small fuel efficient car, but I can clearly justify the need for having a truck, if I get a car I guarantee the next day I will need my truck.
Alright all this being said I know that the 5.9 cummins is a good balance of power and economy. My friend has an 06 3500 with the 5.9 (amazing) but his is lifted and he runs big tires so I don't know how good of fuel economy it will actually get.
For myself personally, I could get away with a 2500 series but I want to stay with the 5.9 cummins and I only want to buy one as new as 05-06. If any of you out there can give me some real world specs for mpg it would be much appreciated, thank-you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow nobody's bitin' out there oh well, anyways the reason I don't want to go newer than 05-06 is simply cost. I don't have the money to make the 6.7 do what I want it to, I'm talking specifically about dpf delete and not to mention the high price of getting into a 6.7 equipped ram. The 5.9 will be sufficient for my needs.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have you thought about the cost of fuel for diesel, also the cost of breakdowns on the diesels are higher, if you factor in all that cost and plan for only keeping say under 5yrs I would say no way. If your plans are to keep it for 5plus years and bascially run it till it dies, go for it...........Also check into veggie oil, my salesman runs it and swears by it, talk about cheap mpg

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
If you are set on improving your fuel mileage, I would pick up a 2500 and look into a propane injection system, you can easily be looking at 27-32mpg and the cost of propane is dirt cheap and your fill ups of the propane tank are every 6-7 tanks of diesel. Whichever way you decide to go, I would still recommend going diesel if you can justify the initial cost.

People always say that the repair costs of a diesel are really high, the difference is the frequency of repairs compared to gas motors. A diesel that receives regular oil changes and has a water/fuel separator will last for a very long time as a diesel is a much simpler engine. You will perform maintenance on other parts of the vehicle long before the engine needs servicing if you perform regular maintenance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you thought about the cost of fuel for diesel, also the cost of breakdowns on the diesels are higher, if you factor in all that cost and plan for only keeping say under 5yrs I would say no way. If your plans are to keep it for 5plus years and bascially run it till it dies, go for it...........Also check into veggie oil, my salesman runs it and swears by it, talk about cheap mpg
The repair costs on the actual diesel-specific items are more expensive, yes (can you say 'injection pump'?), but the breakdowns are less frequent, you don't have an ignition to maintain (cap, rotor, plugs, wires...) so it balances out some. Two batteries can be pricey every 4-5 years as well. Diesel is more expensive but you get better mileage and can out-tow a gas motor all day long. Guess it depends on what you want to use your truck for and where you live. Around here, diesel is the same price as premium. Cold weather starting can suck if you live in the land of the frozen and you have to factor in electricity costs for plugging it in each night but those a minor. If I could have found an affordable Cummins to replace my old 6.5TD 2500 Suburban, I would have grabbed on in an instant.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are set on improving your fuel mileage, I would pick up a 2500 and look into a propane injection system, you can easily be looking at 27-32mpg and the cost of propane is dirt cheap and your fill ups of the propane tank are every 6-7 tanks of diesel. Whichever way you decide to go, I would still recommend going diesel if you can justify the initial cost.

People always say that the repair costs of a diesel are really high, the difference is the frequency of repairs compared to gas motors. A diesel that receives regular oil changes and has a water/fuel separator will last for a very long time as a diesel is a much simpler engine. You will perform maintenance on other parts of the vehicle long before the engine needs servicing if you perform regular maintenance.
This might be promising, it never occurred to me to look into propane for my 1500. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and even with just the 1500 running gear it is adequate enough for what I need it to do. I think I'll price this out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't like touting fuel mpg,too many variables.I live up in the mountains in colorado,so lots of elevation change ,my 04 1ton dually (auto) gets 16.5 mpg around the doors and 19.2 on the interstate empty,15.5 with a trailer loaded with another vehicle.The stick shift trucks get a few more mpg's.
-Tim

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't like touting fuel mpg,too many variables.I live up in the mountains in colorado,so lots of elevation change ,my 04 1ton dually (auto) gets 16.5 mpg around the doors and 19.2 on the interstate empty,15.5 with a trailer loaded with another vehicle.The stick shift trucks get a few more mpg's.
-Tim

Hmmm...the mileage you get is making me jealous. Still not too sure what I'm doing here yet. Changing to propane injection will probably be costly of the start. Upgrading to a diesel will cost more. Its tough right now because I've had it easy lately with no monthly vehicle payments. Just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and get another truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just picked up a 06 with 45 thousand miles i get 16.5 per around town and 12-14 with my 25 trailer loaded down with bikes and all will never go gas again if i can help it and desiel is only 20 cents more then gas so no big deal just put cat back stainless systeme with air intake its 2500 4x4 so go get one i love mine!

·
Registered
75 Posts
everything can be sumed up into one sentence. real trucks dont have spark plugs. with that out of the way. the price of diesel and gas war. i am going to have to go off our prices. 4.37 for gas. 4.35 for diesel. gas only gets in the real world 8-12mpg, diesel gets 15-19 mpg so it would really take 8.74 in gas for every 4.35 in diesel. not exact math but close. i drive and own both. gas and diesel fords and dodges. the diesel go alot farther than gas. i just got rid of a hemi for another cummins because of the mpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
oh forgot for fords i am running 5.4l gas, 7.3l PSD, and 6.0l PSD. rams are as of now 6.7l H.O. and 6.7l CTD and 5.9l magnum

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of good friends has a 05 2500 cummins with the 5.9 in it. He has a six speed manual trans, a bully dog programmer, and he runs 33's bfg all terrains on it. He averages 19 highway, 15 city, and when he pulls a 25 foot trailer loaded he gets about 14. He loves that truck and down here in south Texas he only pays 3.45 for diesel so he drives it everywhere. Just figured I would throw my two cents in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of good friends has a 05 2500 cummins with the 5.9 in it. He has a six speed manual trans, a bully dog programmer, and he runs 33's bfg all terrains on it. He averages 19 highway, 15 city, and when he pulls a 25 foot trailer loaded he gets about 14. He loves that truck and down here in south Texas he only pays 3.45 for diesel so he drives it everywhere. Just figured I would throw my two cents in.

Cool man, everyone's two cents is welcome here. I am currently looking for a 5.9 cummins. I'm just waiting until I find the one I want at a car lot.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hmmm...the mileage you get is making me jealous. Still not too sure what I'm doing here yet. Changing to propane injection will probably be costly of the start. Upgrading to a diesel will cost more. Its tough right now because I've had it easy lately with no monthly vehicle payments. Just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and get another truck.
hmmmm my .02 cents...No truck payment pays for alot of fuel and goodies for the sport. :) that would be my route, you would have to put on an awful lot of miles to justify the switch to diesel, if you get one that has not been maintained well you have the payment, and upcoming maintenance that pops up. Just my .02 cents tho ...good luck :)

·
Banned
25 Posts
Get it and don't look back. I had a 4.7 1500 and got at best 10mpg under a moderate load and 13mpg 65mph unloaded. My current 5.9 gets 22.5 average at 70mph on hwy and 15 loaded kinda heavy and 17 city when being mature (hand calc). Here's a video of my trucks MPG's with a full description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCHBClLLgnQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm a QCSB on stock sized A/Ts though...

·
Banned
25 Posts
Amen.

Nothing like being able to Whip your rear end in front of you with a slight touch to the peddle and at the same time, getting 600+ miles to a tank.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I made the switch from gas powered Rams to a Cummins about 6 months ago. Cost wise for fuel, maintenance, tires etc. I would say is a wash between a diesel and a gas motor. In my area, this has improve lately, since gas rose quite a bit but diesel only rose 10 cents a gallon.

For a MPG comparison, I've owned the following.

2007 Ram Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.92 gears, 5.7 hemi, got about 12mpg around town, 17 mpg on the highway, with a best of 20mpg on the highway.

2002 GMC, regular cab, 4x4, 3.73 rear gears, got 12 mpg around town, 17 mpg on the highway. I could never get better than 17 mpg with this truck.

My current truck is a 2004 2500 Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, automatic, 4.10 gears, 110,000 miles on it. I get 14 mpg around town, 17 mpg on the highway. I've yet to really burn a full tank of fuel on highway driving, but I might be able to pull down 20 mpg, but I doubt it.

If you are buying a diesel to save money, its hard to justify. If you tow, haul heavy loads, etc, a diesel makes more sense. I do tow on occasion and haul a heavy load at times, but I bought the diesel more out of want than a real need. You will pay more for a diesel, even used, I'd say about 25% to 50% more than a half ton gasser.

One big advantage of the diesel is long term durability. The engines last a long time, and they hold their value so they are worth maintaining. I just got a report back on mine from an oil analysis, and it shows the engine is running as good as a new one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts