DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express with the 5.7 in it. Every now and then, when first started, it will rap loudly for just a second or two. It seems to happen more often when the outside air temps are hotter, which leads me to believe it's the oil in the hydraulic lifters bleeding back out of them. It doesn't have to sit very long to do it, maybe an hour or so. It does not to it every time though, maybe every 3rd re-start. I have left it overnight at a dealer a couple times to see if it would do it for them and they have evidently not been able to catch it. Just wondering if anyone else has their truck do this, if it's normal it's something I'm fine with. Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express with the 5.7 in it. Every now and then, when first started, it will rap loudly for just a second or two. It seems to happen more often when the outside air temps are hotter, which leads me to believe it's the oil in the hydraulic lifters bleeding back out of them. It doesn't have to sit very long to do it, maybe an hour or so. It does not to it every time though, maybe every 3rd re-start. I have left it overnight at a dealer a couple times to see if it would do it for them and they have evidently not been able to catch it. Just wondering if anyone else has their truck do this, if it's normal it's something I'm fine with. Thanks!

Does not appear to be normal. I had a 2013 and now have a 2015 RAM Hemi and have had them both in AZ. summers and WA. winters and neither did what you've described. Does this sound like a lifter noise? If so, one or more may be bleeding down. Hope you find the problem and get fixed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 2013 did it, and my current 2014 does it. Every 3rd to 10th start up or so, not really keeping track. I don't think its anything to worry about.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Happens to mine too on a warm start-up sometimes. I'm really not too worried about it considering how loud the valve train is on these engines.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have the same sound. Since day one. Everything runs and drives as it should so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses everybody. Seems like some do it and some don't. I wonder if changing oil/filter brands will help? I've been running the cheaper synthetic that my local shop offers. I think this next time I'll try some Mobil 1 Syn with a Mopar oil filter. Might try a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer too. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
no- don't worry- and if you have better things to do, don't even bother to see, if you can eliminate it- you will just dump money in something.
it is normal and every engine is different. I normally crank it up and let it run for a minute or two, before I even put it in gear. mostly I let it run for 2-3 minutes. after that, it's gone. The danger is only, if you step on the gas while the lifters are not completely full- that also can have reasons in air bubbles, dirt, and all kind of stuff.
as long as it doesn't do it permanent, no need to change anything.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Thanks for the responses everybody. Seems like some do it and some don't. I wonder if changing oil/filter brands will help? I've been running the cheaper synthetic that my local shop offers. I think this next time I'll try some Mobil 1 Syn with a Mopar oil filter. Might try a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer too. What do you guys think?
I'd skip the Lucas, if your oil needs additives you need to use better oil, which you shouldn't because M1 is good. Some say M1 has quieted their engines, others say it made it louder YMMV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, it may not make a difference but I've gotta know. I'll use Mobil 1 full syn with a Mopar filter my next oil change and let you know if it makes any difference at all.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Is rap a technical term? Does the transmission provide support by beat boxing? I'd probably have to spread out some cardboard and do some break dancing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tick equals bad cam, lifters....

Friends, I noticed a tick that was constant and thought it was exhaust manifold leak. Local shop checked and found it was coming from valve train. Took to dealership and they found cam and lifters were bad. Also told me the block had been replaced in 2015. I purchased truck in Feb 2016 from different dealership, 63K miles. Now has 66K miles. Dodge said they would not honor powertrain warranty (5yr, 100K miles) because truck was from Canada and go by 100,000 kilometers! Converted to miles is 62,137 so they said warranty not valid. Had purchased extended warranty (bumper to bumper) when I bought the truck. That company also refuses to honor warranty because truck is from Canada. So, I bought truck not knowing about motor replacement, was not told Canada truck would not be covered under manufacturer warranty, purchased extra warranty and was never told it would not be honored on Canada vehicles. Any warranty facts from Canadian owners would be appreciated. Truck still in shop and no resolution. Buyers beware!!!

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Friends, I noticed a tick that was constant and thought it was exhaust manifold leak. Local shop checked and found it was coming from valve train. Took to dealership and they found cam and lifters were bad. Also told me the block had been replaced in 2015. I purchased truck in Feb 2016 from different dealership, 63K miles. Now has 66K miles. Dodge said they would not honor powertrain warranty (5yr, 100K miles) because truck was from Canada and go by 100,000 kilometers! Converted to miles is 62,137 so they said warranty not valid. Had purchased extended warranty (bumper to bumper) when I bought the truck. That company also refuses to honor warranty because truck is from Canada. So, I bought truck not knowing about motor replacement, was not told Canada truck would not be covered under manufacturer warranty, purchased extra warranty and was never told it would not be honored on Canada vehicles. Any warranty facts from Canadian owners would be appreciated. Truck still in shop and no resolution. Buyers beware!!!
What do they mean by "the cam and lifters are bad"? Did a lifter roller seize and take out a cam lobe? Did a lifter(s) collapse?

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
i have heard of this issue before, not sure what the resolution was. me thinks you need to go back and see the selling dealer and contact a lawyer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said, I'm not talking about the constant ticking sound. All Hemi's do that, it is what it is. This is a clatter that happens occasionally upon startup that lasts 1-2 seconds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Racing 553, Sorry to piggy-back off your original post.
Thunder, not sure what the problem is and see below.
Hunter, truck is now at original dealer after a few calls. They are tearing down motor and will now be covered by extended warranty. They are willing to replace with similar vehicle on their lot but all are also from Canada. Got a nice "loaner" to use while repairs are being made. They will let me know what problem is when they finish digging into the motor. Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Hunter, truck is now at original dealer after a few calls. They are tearing down motor and will now be covered by extended warranty. They are willing to replace with similar vehicle on their lot but all are also from Canada. Got a nice "loaner" to use while repairs are being made. They will let me know what problem is when they finish digging into the motor. Thanks for your responses.
Goid to see that they are actually doing something about it now. Please update us when you find out what it is. I am willing to bet a lifter roller got stuck and wiped out a cam lobe-there's been reports of that happening to 2010-2012 Hemis, mostly 2011s.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
luckily, you have a good dealer. could have went south pretty quick had they not stepped up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Problem fixed...

Problem fixed but still no details. Mechanic who worked on it had left for the day. All the mgr. could tell me was cam and lifters were replaced along with head bolts, several gaskets, etc. My cost was the $100.00 deductible and rest was covered under extended warranty. Runs great and no more ticking, for now. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts