DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who think electric vehicles are the answer what are you going to do when you have to recharge on the road and you pull up to a charging station only to find you are the 35 electric vehicle in line and it takes an average to 30 minutes to get a partial charge giving reduced range, you are looking at a good several hours before you get to your turn.

Charging stations take up a lot of room, just look at the Tesla charging stations each one takes up a parking spot and there are not that many electric vehicles on the road right now. Imagine huge parking lots having to be set up and people standing around for at least 30 minutes each for a partial charge, imagine a holiday travel period, how many hours would you be stuck waiting for a charging station to become open?

Forget the maintenance nightmare and costs of an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What about those that pull TT's? An electric tow vehicle will eat up the power quite quickly and for people such as myself who lives a distance away from any camping areas. Time to get to said camp grounds just got extended. Camping is supposed to be relaxing. What's relaxing about extended time getting there? What about the traffic jams on major freeways in areas like LA and Toronto due to the batteries running out of power because someone forgot to recharge before leaving or didn't get a full charge and then sits in traffic for extended periods of time. There is also the power used by lights during the night and heat and air conditioning during winter and summer. All these add up big time to the power draw and lack of recharge enroute.

No thanks to this. I will keep my Ecodiesel and my Avenger. No electric for me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The switch over to EV's is going to take decades, maybe even more than a century. The infrastructure needed for charging these vehicles will come along as the number of EV demand grows. Heck even my local Walmart just installed a 8 station charging setup in a little used part of their parking lot. In my travels I have never seen a lineup of EV's waiting in line for charging. In the future for travel on the interstate system eventually there will be multible charging stations at every rest stop when EV's are in use more than gas and diesel. Just my thoughts on all this.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I might get punished- but EV's having their place in this world. It's moms who get their kids to school or kindergarten, to sports events, people who live in cities and have to go 5 miles to work. Older people who simply just go to wal mart to get their groceries. Or as 2nd runaround vehicle.
I would love to see the infrastructure for LPG or NG on gas stations like in europe, where every gas station has a LPG tank. I probably would convert my truck to LPG- every modern vehicle can be converted for about $3-4000. Even Diesel.
Gas powered vehicles beside LPG vehicles for the broad mass and long distance commuters, Campers, boaters, etc. EV's for the rest. But to abolish everything and sacrifice it for one thing is not working. I believe, they will find out soon.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I might get punished- but EV's having their place in this world. It's moms who get their kids to school or kindergarten, to sports events, people who live in cities and have to go 5 miles to work. Older people who simply just go to wal mart to get their groceries. Or as 2nd runaround vehicle.
I would love to see the infrastructure for LPG or NG on gas stations like in europe, where every gas station has a LPG tank. I probably would convert my truck to LPG- every modern vehicle can be converted for about $3-4000. Even Diesel.
Gas powered vehicles beside LPG vehicles for the broad mass and long distance commuters, Campers, boaters, etc. EV's for the rest. But to abolish everything and sacrifice it for one thing is not working. I believe, they will find out soon.
I think LPG or CNG is the way to go. Problem is that isn't good enough for the tree huggers. We have a major glut of natural gas in this country and the price is way down. It would probably end up cheaper than gasoline per mile driven.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only problem with natural gas vehicles is they don't make the same power. I remember when the Lee County Sheriffs Department went to natural gas for all their patrol cars, man what a bunch of dogs those patrol cars were.

But here is another issue with electric and natural gas for that matter, in Florida and other states where you have hurricanes and people have to evacuate traffic comes to a stand still, electric and natural gas for that matter would become a nightmare.

Then you have the issue of trying to get electric back up and working again after a storm which can take weeks, so what are you going to do if you are down for even just one week and your electric car battery is dead or you can't get natural gas?

The last two hurricanes where we lost electricity the first time was for two weeks the second time was for a week. While gas becomes a challenge you can find gas.

Reactions: tidefan1967

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The switch over to EV's is going to take decades, maybe even more than a century. The infrastructure needed for charging these vehicles will come along as the number of EV demand grows. Heck even my local Walmart just installed a 8 station charging setup in a little used part of their parking lot. In my travels I have never seen a lineup of EV's waiting in line for charging. In the future for travel on the interstate system eventually there will be multible charging stations at every rest stop when EV's are in use more than gas and diesel. Just my thoughts on all this.
Electric vehicle charging stations are going to have to be huge lots that will handle a lot more than 20 cars at a time, then you have pickups that are towing trailers, are they going to have unhook to get to a charge station, if everyone had to have an electric car a current gas station style fuel island that can handle 20 cars at once would be quickly overwhelmed with electric cars even if those cars were only charging for 30 minutes to get up to 80% charge, You could end up with 100 cars back logged waiting to get a charging station in short order.

Then you have the problem of batteries degrading over time so instead of receiving 100% charge they start to loose capacity and drop down to 95% then 90% and after so many charges they are only using 70% of their original rated capacity and they just go down from there. So your travel mileage also goes down as the battery looses capacity.

A battery rated to travel 400 miles in the best of conditions with minimal load when it loses just 30% of its charging capacity is now down to being able to travel only 280 miles in the best of conditions with minimal load.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The only problem with natural gas vehicles is they don't make the same power. I remember when the Lee County Sheriffs Department went to natural gas for all their patrol cars, man what a bunch of dogs those patrol cars were.

But here is another issue with electric and natural gas for that matter, in Florida and other states where you have hurricanes and people have to evacuate traffic comes to a stand still, electric and natural gas for that matter would become a nightmare.

Then you have the issue of trying to get electric back up and working again after a storm which can take weeks, so what are you going to do if you are down for even just one week and your electric car battery is dead or you can't get natural gas?

The last two hurricanes where we lost electricity the first time was for two weeks the second time was for a week. While gas becomes a challenge you can find gas.
This is not true anymore.
In europe, people buying american cars and the first they do is, installing a LPG system. The HP and everything is the same. The new systems are far superior. If you go into a Oil field, all vehicles there are LPG or NG driven. Those systems are proven and reliable. Even RAM and Ford came up with a LPG version- but they couldn't sell it, because lack of infrastructure. I'd buy one if the infrastructure would be there. They run on gas and LPG. Usually- the engine starts on gasoline and switches automatically over to LPG. If the LPG tank is empty or there is a problem, the system switches to Gasoline. Actually- you increase your range significantly. It is also much cheaper than gasoline- just think, when you can get a LPG vehicle and be able to get your tank full for half of the price of gasoline at every gas station.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is not true anymore.
In europe, people buying american cars and the first they do is, installing a LPG system. The HP and everything is the same. The new systems are far superior. If you go into a Oil field, all vehicles there are LPG or NG driven. Those systems are proven and reliable. Even RAM and Ford came up with a LPG version- but they couldn't sell it, because lack of infrastructure. I'd buy one if the infrastructure would be there. They run on gas and LPG. Usually- the engine starts on gasoline and switches automatically over to LPG. If the LPG tank is empty or there is a problem, the system switches to Gasoline. Actually- you increase your range significantly. It is also much cheaper than gasoline- just think, when you can get a LPG vehicle and be able to get your tank full for half of the price of gasoline at every gas station.
You have to install that second tank so if a car there goes your trunk space if a pick up there goes bed space.

Gasoline Gallon Equivalents
Fuel TypeUnit of MeasureBTUs/UnitGallon Equivalent
Gasoline (regular)gallon114,1001.00 gallon
Diesel #2gallon129,5000.88 gallons
Biodiesel (B100)gallon118,3000.96 gallons
Biodiesel (B20)gallon127,2500.90 gallons
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)cubic foot900126.67 cu. ft.
Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)gallon75,0001.52 gallons
Propane (LPG)gallon84,3001.35 gallons
Ethanol (E100)gallon76,1001.50 gallons
Ethanol (E85)gallon81,8001.39 gallons
Methanol (M100)gallon56,8002.01 gallons
Methanol (M85)gallon65,4001.74 gallons
Electricitykilowatt hour (Kwh)3,40033.56 Kwhs

Gas still produces more BTU's/Unit than does CNG, LNG or LPG.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imagine how much a truck would have to weigh with enough battery power to pull a load or a trailer.

The new all-electric Porsche Taycan weighs in at about three tons. That means a lot of upfront carbon emissions.

After I wrote somewhat negatively about the Hummer EV, wondering how much truck, how many batteries, how much acceleration people need on the road, I got attacked in comments for writing "a hate-filled report with a lot of misconceptions." People evidently take discussions about cars seriously.

But I am going to be a glutton for punishment and double down on the Porsche Taycan, an all-electric rocket. The Turbo S model can do 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds thanks to its 750 horsepower and 1,389 pounds of batteries, which contribute to a curb weight of 5,121 pounds and a Gross Vehicle Weight of 6,327 pounds. Imagine, a sports car that's too heavy to drive on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Two taycans

© Porsche

This brings us back to our discussion of sufficiency. How much speed and acceleration does anyone need, and at what cost? I have no idea what the upfront carbon emissions from making this car are, but suspect it's north of 60 tonnes. And for all that money and power, this thing has abysmal range, rated by the company at 192 miles.

It also eats a huge amount of electricity. According to one Tesla fanboi site,

Porsche's new Taycan electric car is the least efficient electric car ever created. Its total efficiency was 69 MPGe, which is low for a modern electric car, as well as its nominal range of 201 miles from a single charge. This also means with an average power consumption of 49 kWh per 100 miles, the Taycan Turbo gobbles through nearly twice the power of the Tesla Model 3 Long Range which uses an average 26 kWh per 100 miles.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
And where/how will the batteries be disposed of? It will be a toxic waste dump of batteries
You have to install that second tank so if a car there goes your trunk space if a pick up there goes bed space.

Gasoline Gallon Equivalents
Fuel TypeUnit of MeasureBTUs/UnitGallon Equivalent
Gasoline (regular)gallon114,1001.00 gallon
Diesel #2gallon129,5000.88 gallons
Biodiesel (B100)gallon118,3000.96 gallons
Biodiesel (B20)gallon127,2500.90 gallons
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)cubic foot900126.67 cu. ft.
Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)gallon75,0001.52 gallons
Propane (LPG)gallon84,3001.35 gallons
Ethanol (E100)gallon76,1001.50 gallons
Ethanol (E85)gallon81,8001.39 gallons
Methanol (M100)gallon56,8002.01 gallons
Methanol (M85)gallon65,4001.74 gallons
Electricitykilowatt hour (Kwh)3,40033.56 Kwhs

Gas still produces more BTU's/Unit than does CNG, LNG or LPG.
I know some guys having a RAM there- they have a 100 Liter Tank under the bed- no problems- and it's not that heavy. during normal driving, you will not feel the difference. I would rather drive with LPG or CNG before I get a electric truck.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
A while back I had a dual fuel Ram 150 extended van. I would start it on gas but quickly change over to propane once warm. The pull from gas was a lot firmer than it was with propane. Gas got more MPG than propane, the only thing making it more economical was the price of propane. That was only good as long as the season was not winter. Being a heating fuel propane went up in price. The other thing is that the propane system up here had to be re-certified every 4 years.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Emissions are better with LPG also. But as mentioned it is not the easiest to find service. I cant imagine making a cross country trip in an LPG truck and worrying about where I am going to find gas. AS for the EV carry a Honda generator I guess

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Emissions are better with LPG also. But as mentioned it is not the easiest to find service. I cant imagine making a cross country trip in an LPG truck and worrying about where I am going to find gas. AS for the EV carry a Honda generator I guess
I'll use my Generac. Quieter and way less expensive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am going to be "that guy". I do believe EVs are the future. Yes, today there are a lot of concerns today about EVs getting charged on long distance trips. But most vehicle trips are local, so EV makes a lot of sense for local driving - now. As EVs become more popular, there will be more charging stations. As battery technology continues to improve, and batteries are getting better every year, the time to charge a battery will decrease to more acceptable times and the distances will increase. I'm no scientist or engineer, but that is the history of technology improvements. Here's something to think about, nobody thought the horse and buggy would or could be be replaced by the automobile when autos first came out. And yes, I believe in the not to distant future, EV pickups will be viable.

By the way, cars at filling stations also take up one car space (and it pisses me off to no end when some jerk fills his/her tank then leaves his/her vehicle at the pump to go into the store to buy a cup of coffee or go the restroom. But that probably won't change with EV drivers...😖)

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
526 Posts
For those who think electric vehicles are the answer what are you going to do when you have to recharge on the road and you pull up to a charging station only to find you are the 35 electric vehicle in line and it takes an average to 30 minutes to get a partial charge giving reduced range, you are looking at a good several hours before you get to your turn.

Charging stations take up a lot of room, just look at the Tesla charging stations each one takes up a parking spot and there are not that many electric vehicles on the road right now. Imagine huge parking lots having to be set up and people standing around for at least 30 minutes each for a partial charge, imagine a holiday travel period, how many hours would you be stuck waiting for a charging station to become open?

Forget the maintenance nightmare and costs of an electric vehicle.
There you go.. stirring up trouble on the forums! Lol...I agree though. I don't think battery technology has advanced enough to be used in vehicles. Maybe if they're solar powered...but even then...still would think twice. I honestly believe the future of auto is in renewable resources like solar, wind, water or something along those lines. Not plugging a car into an outlet.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts