DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, have been tossing around the idea of buying a service contract on my 2007 1550, while I have payments on it.

To me it seems like a good option to have it just in case. I only have 54000 on it now, but that is going up daily. I am worried about potential suspension failures (due to a buddy who says he has seen a few)

I'm normally against such things, due to the cost of most repairs being less than the contract, but again due to this economy, my repair reserves are strapped.

What do y'all think? Is it worth while, or should I just get on my merry way. I can get a 5 year warranty, that will cover up to 154000 odo miles, for around $2000(powertrain warranty that covers damn near everything)

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,093 Posts
I bought the Chrysler Max Care lifetime warranty back in April and it's been worth its weight in gold. Lets just say, I didn't exactly have the $600+ it would have cost me parts and labor to replace a leaking evaporator core, only cost me $100 out of pocket for the deductible and I have the lifetime power train warranty on my truck as well, definitely worth the money to protect your investment.

- Cajun

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also just noticed the Warranty co. is a Site sponsor. I'd feel better spending $1800 now, instead of $5000 in the future.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I think if you plan on having your truck for the long haul, then it's a good investment. If you're only planning on keeping it for a few years, then you might be better off saving your money and selling off any problems that crop up.

I've gotten the extended warranty a few times, and other times I did not. I think mostly it depends on how long you plan on keeping the truck. I have a history of only keeping vehicle for about 2 or 3 yrs, so lately I've opted to not buy the warranty.

just my opinion

Exco

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've bought factory warranty on the last couple of vehicles I've purchased. It's the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I'm a bit leery of the aftermarket warranties that require a deductible for each claim, but it sounds like some here have had good luck with those. Either way, it beats the hell out of getting hit with a repair bill for several thousand dollars on an unexpected breakdown! It's definitely worth the money just for the peace of mind!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know that my GF paid $2500 for one for her 2005 X3 BMW and it has paid for itself 2 times already. The alternator went out and the the air conditioner condenser failed. To fix the AC they have to remove the entire dash and work on it from the inside. Took about 3 days and at $150+ an hour of labor the bill would have been rediculous. She does have a $100 deductible but I fix anything if it's minor and cheaper. I have a 5 year bumper to bumper and a lifetime power train on my 2012 but I will be buying an extended bumper to bumper when the time arrives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts