DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot about the K & N air filter. K & N states a simple replacement of the stock filter is designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration. It is a simple mod and I really don't want to do the CAI route. What do you think on this. Is it worth the $$ for the K & N?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I have an airraid drop in, and it provides minimal performance increase in reality (but so do most CAI's). The main advantage is it's reusable, and if you keep your truck a while it will pay for itself.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You wont feel any difference (performance), but is worth the money. Definitely is a good investment!!!!

Look at this thread http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93687

• High Air Flow with Excellent Filtration
  • Designed to Increase Horsepower and Acceleration
  • Washable and Reusable
  • Will NOT Void Vehicle Warranty
  • Lasts up to 50,000 miles before cleaning is required depending on driving conditions
  • K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty®
  • Emissions Legal in all 50 US States.
  • Economical, a K&N Air Filter Will Last the Life of Your Automobile, Motorcycle, or ATV
  • Works with Original Equipment Manufacturer Vehicle Electronics
  • Easy High Performance Add-on
  • Environmentally Friendly

·
Registered
754 Posts
This is the first "mod" I mdid to my truck. Check out AutoAnything they have very good prices. Don't look for any big HP gains. I had one on my 08 and after 75k it still did not need cleaned. I just like it because you will get your money back in the long run vs putting paper filters in every 30k. And you will pick up a little more intake sound and maybe 5 hp. BTW a CIA on a stock truck is maybe good for 10HP anyone try to tell your otherwise is telling a fib. I was at the LX nationals and saw dyno results real world.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have the K&N and have had it in every car i've owned. big fan. i wouldn't go as far to say it improves performance though. i think K&N are the only people who actually believe their own hype lol.

i do think it gave it a touch of sound though. if it helps the engine breath a bit better why not right? go for it, it's a cheap and easy mod

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also use K&N Air Filters in every vehicle I own. My old 2003 Hemi Ram (bought it new and just gave to my Dad) still has the K&N filter I put in it 9 years ago - it was cleaned and re-oiled approx. every 2 years. I put a K&N Air Filter in my new 2011 Ram days after buying it. I would recommend them especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a few years. For me it's more for longevity and better filtration over a big HP gain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Easing into mods

I have just begun modifying my truck. So far I have added 'true' dual exhaust & I am awaiting the arrival of my K&N CAI that I just ordered from AutoAnything. I guess that's a start.
I just want to say thanks to everyone for the insight & advice that gets posted on this forum!!!! I'm still pretty new to this & I am learning & receiving useful information all the time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My truck has a different sound now with the K and N filter over the old paper filter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2011 with the hemi I went with the full deal on the K&N. I got the Air Induction System and it has made a big difference in power and sound. When you punch it almost sounds like a turbo kicking in. According to K&N it gives your truck a 15.66 Hp gain also it was easy to install only took about an hour went by the video on youtube!

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
True story. I picked one of these up last summer! I just switched to a Vararam. I have the K&N filter if you wanna take it off my hands..

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Basically when they say the performance filters filter as good as paper, they're lying.
Paper filters filter the best I believe, then foam (although foam may be the best, I can't remember) the worst is the types like K&N, etc...

But realistically, they trap most of everything, they won't let anything in that's big enough to do damage. Who cares if particles 50 times smaller than dust get in your engine, you know? It's the sand and larger stuff like that that can score cylinder walls...

·
Registered
22 Posts
You will get all sorts of "internet experts" telling you that K&N filters aren't as good as a paper filter. I have used them in all my cars for the last 12 years. My oil is NEVER gritty, no MAF issues (on my Corvette & Z28) and in my 5.7 Hemi, I actually got an increase of 2-3 MPG.

K&N has videos showing how to properly oil them. People that see problems while using K&N filters erroneously attribute their problems to an air filter.:i_rolleyes:

Just change your oil and take care of your vehicle and K&N filters will do just as they're supposed to: increase air and offer all the filtering that you'll ever need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are 2 things you should consider.

1. Get a pre-filter if your going for an oil filter. This just helps keep the big cr%p off the filter and makes it easier between cleanings if your on the road and get in a very dirty climate. I had a filter full of trash just traveling Hwy 40 through OK, TX, NM and part of AZ when Mexico was on fire and the farmers were plowing for planting. The pre-filter had to be cleaned with a quick rinse and re-installed with the rest of the trip being without issue.

2. DO NOT over oil when you clean and re-install the filter. Many do that, an that's when you get oil after the air box giving you problems. Oil the filter enough to coat the material only. Your not doing an engine oil change. A 1.4 can is not needed.

I've ran K&N filters for years without issues. The last gasser I had was using a K&N and when I gave it to the neighbor kid when I retired, it has 400k on the clock with the same K&N. He is still using it. The only reason I don't have s K&N in this truck is I wanted as true a CAI as possible when I bought her. My wife's pickup has a K&N and it will be there until it leaves the family.

I agree with the above comment. If you have 50 people owning air filters, you'll have 50 different views / beliefs.

You will NOT get lots of extra horse power with them, but they work. On my diesel, with the stock air filter, I use to have a large soot spot on the right rear panel in 1k. Just with the filter change alone, I had way less soot in a 5k vacation run. I did get more air. Yet, when many people say it throughs oil down your intake tube after the filter, (watching how you properly oil after cleaning), I have NO oil or dust on my sensors, tube or turbo.

You'll be fine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts