DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! thanks for all your help with the gearing threads! Now, so far, to my knowledge, there is no aftermarket throttle bodies for the 2008+ 4.7l engine, yes? so, i wanted to look into what could be done there as the stock tb is approx. 75mm in diameter, and made out of a composite plastic. now i calipered the opening and it can take an 80mm tb without modification, which is stock size for the slightly earlier 5.7 & 6.1 hemi. i was recently offered a tb from a 2005 srt8 and found that the wiring plug is different. does anyone know of an adapter cable to place this unit in a 4.7? they both are a six pin plug but the newer one is offset pins with notches cut in the sided and the '05 is just an oval-ish plug with its pins inline...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried this unit out before? it appears that the unit is not really modified, so im kinda skeptical of this one. thanks for the info though, if i cant get the other one to work then i guess i will go this route! let me know if you come across a wire for the 80mil body though

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Hey the fastman is very reputable, he tapers the bore like a cone so at the blade it is actually the stock size, but this still helps. Also he removes part of the throttle blade support bar, which slightly helps.

So you calipered the manifold and it is 80mm? I have been thinking of trying to fit a stock hemi TB to my truck, and found someone on the forum with an extra TB that is going to let me try it. I'll let you know how that goes, it will probably be about a month or 2 months before I really even start getting into that though.

Stock 2008+ 4.7 TB is 74mm
Stock hemi TB is 80mm I think

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, thats what i am planning to do to, but the biggest difference is thatnectors are different from the 08. its kinda notched where the other tb (80mm) is just am oval style plug. thats why i was wondering about a patch cable for such.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not sayin anyone is not reputable, ita just that for me to send in my tb to be modified, being in canada and all, means it takes six weeks to ship it there, probably a week to get it done up and another six weeks to get it back!!! way to go canada post!! no, im not here to bash anyone thay truly doesnt deserve it, im just here to learn, like most here!

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^gotcha, just wasn't sure if you knew about fastman's reputation or not. I'll let you know what I find out about the hemi TB (80mm) on the 2008+ 4.7L manifold. Can you confirm the manifold opening is 80mm? I understand about the harness, likely it will need slightly modified...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^gotcha, just wasn't sure if you knew about fastman's reputation or not. I'll let you know what I find out about the hemi TB (80mm) on the 2008+ 4.7L manifold. Can you confirm the manifold opening is 80mm? I understand about the harness, likely it will need slightly modified...
I will get a measurement again with my caliper on picture as soon as i can, just finishing up welding a tilt deck trailer in the shop right now so a little limited for space!

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Ok that would be great if I knew that the manifold was 80mm before going into the project. If it's any smaller than 80mm then there's no point of going with a bigger TB...

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
mblatz, the hemi tb has a different bolt spacing than the 4.7L, so it will not bolt up.

Did you ever confirm the manifold had a 80mm opening?

The hemi TB may work if you make an adapter plate.

EDIT: The hemi TB bolt spacing was ~3.1875" square. The 4.7L TB bolt spacing was ~2.75" square.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
yep it's a good deal. If you can get some HO cams, and the mods you said, you will be right there with the new engine and probably even a step ahead. Nick (airram) was running high 14's I think with his qc (although he had head work).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Sean, sorry i haven't been on the forums for a bit, trying to pull the motor out of a <cough> chevy <cough>. i think an adapter plate would be too easy to make if i had a hunk of looneymum and a mill. I'll have to look into that. havent had time to pull the TB yet, maybe i'll do that tomorrow evening, sneak some easy time away from that dang motor! You would not BELIEVE how many wires are all over that thing compared to our trucks, not to mention how shitty the designs are for space and whatever!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
mblatz, the hemi tb has a different bolt spacing than the 4.7L, so it will not bolt up.

Did you ever confirm the manifold had a 80mm opening?

The hemi TB may work if you make an adapter plate.

EDIT: The hemi TB bolt spacing was ~3.1875" square. The 4.7L TB bolt spacing was ~2.75" square.
Is the bolt pattern on the 80mm a perfect(ish) square or is there an offset bolt?

CAD drafting one as we speak! laser cut should look niiiice! I would think 1/2" thick should clear stock bolts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts