DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a 2013 Dodge Ram with the famous throttle body fast speed code p507 issue. This all happened at the tunning shop with the install of the long tubes and y-pipe. The tunning shop is very respectable and this is the one that everybody goes to in Charleston Tn.

My issue is the first dealership told me the old throttlebody was, bad but everything else including vacuum and sensors were good. So I just went to a new dealership earlier after ordering a Moes 87 mm ported throttle body, which is a Mopar unit. I had it installed and the dealership performed the relearn on it. The throttle body worked for about 20 minutes and it went back to what I was doing before, idleling at 1400rpms and shifting gears by itself. I'm just wondering at this point if anybody else has experienced issues after doing the relearn. Could this be an issue with the tune at this point? Could this be some other problem?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Double check that the wiring to the throttle body is good by testing for power, ground, and a 5 volt reference at the connector.
If thats good, check for cracks in the intake manifold around the throttle body. If you cant see any, check for tiny ones by either spraying soapy water around the throttle body and looking for bubbles, or spraying combustion cleaner around it (CAREFULLY!) and listening for changes in rpm.

It is very easy to overtighten the bolts for the throttle body and crack the intake manifold, which would certainly cause the issue you're describing.

If those checks come back good, ask your tuning shop about it. They should be able to help you out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, I just got the truck back again from dodge this morning. They said they checked for cracks, looked at the throttlebody, and checked the sensors, and redid the vacuum lines.The truck was working good today till I got home, I parked the truck and it went back to idleling at 1400rpms. I am not happy, because I know soon as I restart the truck that it will rev to 3000 the idle back down at 1400 RPMs.
I went ahead and scheduled a new session with a dyno shop on the 21st that's only a few hours from my house, I spent enough money at the dealership for them to not be able to figure it out. I am also I going to be doing some more self-diagnosing this weekend.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok finally found my service manual lol

P0507 just means high idle - it doesnt necessarily condemn the throttle body.

I would look over again for vacuum leaks. Nothing invasive, just listen around the engine bay for a *hissing* sound. If this is the cause, there should be a pretty significant leak somewhere.
If you're having problems finding stuff, you're always free to post pictures.

The service manual says it could be wiring issues, but I feel it'll be more inconsistent and have other codes if that was the case. I would still tap and wiggle various sensor connectors and harnesses and see if the idle changes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you again sir, I feel the same way. I feel if it was wiring or a vacuum leak that it would be more inconsistent. However, the truck idles the way it does very consistently. If you like, maybe I could send you a video to spook your curiosity. I spoke with JBA and they said tuners sometimes have trouble with tuning the sensor delay in the longtubes. I have not found any leaks from any hissing sounds. I hope the tuner can figure it out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Absolutely, a video would help tremendously!
If its not too much, could you try to include the engine bay with the engine cover removed (if its not already)? I can try to spot anything out of the ordinary.

Its still a suspect, but I'm not ready to blame the tune just yet ... no respectable tuner would give your truck back idling that high and call it good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sir! I don't think we can add video here, so do you have an email address I can send it to, or text you? I can take video today when I get out of work at 5ish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just took the truck to the tuner and he said the tune is fine, it's set on a low power mode. Everything checks out fine as far as vacuum, voltage, PCV valve, IAC, relearn, and such. He said the tune as far as the PCM/ ECU say the Commanded and actual is the same. The relearn works for a few min and then the truck will start idleling high again. The throttle position is around 2.4 something volts around 600rps for normal and then it will start idleling again around 5 volts and 1400rps. The tuner at this point thinks it could be the gas pedal or PCM. Any thoughts from anyone at this point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tuner is not done yet. But here are my numbers so far on 87 octane. The tuner finally figured out that the computer thinks the exhaust is around 20,000 degrees and that is what caused the high idle and dumping fuel. He has the temps maxed at 21,000 to keep the truck from dumping fuel since you can't turn off the rear 02 sensors. I don't have any cats on her at the moment. He said I will probably need to buy a new rear 02 sensor, hopefully that let the computer think the exhaust is not 20,000 degrees.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
So it was the rear O2 sensor?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts