DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed an aftermarket throttle body to there 11 RAM? If so what and did you notice any differnce in performance?

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Unless you have supporting mods, you will see minimal gains from either an oversized or ported TB. The stock 80mm TB is good to 400RWHP, then after that unless you're boosted, a true cast 85-90mm will be sufficient for most people that are N/A.

However, if you are set on a new TB, I recommend paying the bit extra and getting a cast 85mm TB, not the ported stock jobs since you're not getting any diameter gains around the throttle plate, it's still an 80mm throttle plate, they just smooth out the intake side. BBK has some problems with their TBs, so I'd recommend looking at the Arrington TB.

·
Banned
39 Posts
However, if you are set on a new TB, I recommend paying the bit extra and getting a cast 85mm TB, not the ported stock jobs since you're not getting any diameter gains around the throttle plate, it's still an 80mm throttle plate, they just smooth out the intake side. BBK has some problems with their TBs, so I'd recommend looking at the Arrington TB.
I'm glad you posted this. I was considering having my TB ported, but the more I thought about it I became somewhat skeptical of how much of an improvement would actually be seen. The internal plate remains at 80mm. Regardless of how much either side of the TB is ported, you're still limited to the opening and closing of that 80mm plate in the center. I'm certainly no expert but I assume the gains would be minimal at best. And the 85mm over sized TB seemed like overkill on a naturally aspirated truck with only an intake and exhaust.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Ive heard the only gains are throttle response. Not sure how true it is. I have both the vararam and Fastman 85mm throttle body on the way. Not sure if I'll install them as they come in or all at once though. Also ripping off my current exhaust and going true dual At3030s tomorrow :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fastman TB

Let me know what you think after you install your Fastman TB. I was thinking about ordering one through them also. I am waiting until I get my CAI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts