DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 Ram 1500 R/T a few weeks ago, and I've noticed that it's not very responsive...if I'm going 50, and then I floor it, it takes a while before it actually gets going. For instance, if someone is passing me, and I want to prevent them from doing so, I floor it and it takes a while before I completely obliterate my opponent. I have a much easier time passing someone than preventing someone from passing me. Maybe theres just no torque and horsepower at low RPMs? Or just slow throttle response? Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Programmer is what you need.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh..I'd rather not mess with that stuff. I'd like to keep it stock. I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing for all trucks, or just hemis, or what?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The programmer is easy man, but yeah that is normal what you are experiencing. With the programmer you can modify your stock tune..and change the throttle response it is VERY noticeable when you change the throttle response. I just had mine in a the dealer and I took the tune out before, on the way to the dealer it was like a pig! After when i put my tune back in WOW what a difference.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that all sounds great but what are the side effects? Lower gas mileage, more wear and tear on the engine? I'm a little nervous about putting a programer in my truck :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
I still have the slow throttle response with the programmer on. So it does not completely fix the situation. Several people on the forum have taken their trucks to dodge to look for a solution but I dont think anyone has came up with an answer yet.

A programmer will help with the gas mileage and power (HP/torgue), but it also voids the warranty if something goes wrong. Alot of people say that the diablo can not be detected and it doesnt leave a footprint, but if your dealer wanted to find evidence then they could. My theory is that if you cant pay to replace something then dont mod it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, at least this is normal..my friends have always talked crap about my old '98 GMC, so now I really want to make sure my truck is performing at it's best. We tend to do a lot of cruising out in the country, and we mess around and 'race' each other (probably not a good idea...lol) Thanks for the replies, it comforts me to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. As for the programmer, I'm gonna wait until my factory warranty is done, and then I'm gonna put one in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a free thing to do...go to the jeep dealer, ask to drive a jeep wrangler (what i just came from owning), go for a test drive, stomp on it (whopping mini-van engine) and then get back into your truck. You'll be able to look past that 1/2sec of lag then love how your head is thrown back!! :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL that is too funny...:) You got a good point there...I haven't driven many vehicles in my short lifetime and the ones I have driven have been really weak so I never bothered to floor them, so when I got this truck I wasn't sure if that lag was normal or not. But the power of these things is incredible, especially from a complete stop!

·
Registered
218 Posts
The problem seems to be between the 40-60 MPG range. If you try to gas it then it will bog down and its like it becomes confused. But starting from a complete stop is great in these things except for your gas mileage :LOL:oh well, i didnt buy this truck for the MPGs anyways. The top end power on these things is amazing too. I can start from 65 or 70 and it just takes off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
compared to other 4x4's i'm VERY happy with the power every rpm...i'm sure i'll get use to it and need a programmer :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmmm....why would you feel the need to prevent someone from passing you? If you are happy at your current speed, then let them pass so you, dont endanger their lives, their passengers lives, your life, your passengers lives and the lives of the innocent that may get involved if something tragic happens. WOW, I am getting old....can you tell I have 2 boys of driving age! lol just my .02 cents. BTW....I did stupid and crazy things in my younger year....so this isnt meant to be preachy! lol

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
If you bump your shifter one time to the left, it puts the truck in ERS mode. You will notice the EVIC display '5', and the trans will drop 1 gear. In this mode, the lag is reduced, and coupled with the RPM's being raised from the drop in gear, the sensation is that of greatly reduced lag. :)

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Sounds like Torque Management.
Torque management really doesn't come into play after 1st gear. The OP suggested that the near highway speed throttle lag was quite noticeable, so at that point, TM shouldn't be a factor. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
348 Posts
The best way to make this truck perform is to go into this button pushing shifting frenzy. if you turn your esp off the throttle will react better, not much but better. Then you need to get a feel for manual shifting. Downshifting the trans manually makes all the difference. Also this truck has 2 third gears the fast 1 can only be accessed manually or in tow/haul mode. put your shifter in third and u will be happy, if u are launching put the truck in third it will still shift 1st then 2nd, then trust me u wont need to upshift when 3rd ends. I haven't been ballsy enough to downshift into 3rd yet but i don't run my truck enough i'm still getting used to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sprint Booster

Like you, I don't want to screw around with a tuner YET. So, I shopped around and found a product called sprint booster. was $315, available from my dealer, and they told me it wouldn't void warranty. I installed it on my otherwise stock truck, and your problem you feel, GONE!!!!! i'm thouroghly impressed with it. :smileup: Next is cold air, exhaust, and a tuner (finally):doh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts