DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 2004 hemi is making a slight noise sometimes. I have searched and a few others have described it perfectly....it's a slight tick and/or escaping air sound that I only notice when I'm into the throttle a bit. If I ease around it does not make this noise. If I get on it a little bit it is fairly noticeable outside the truck or with the windows down. I have read about the hemi tick and am fairly certain this is not what I am hearing as I cannot hear it at idle. I have also read about the exhaust manifold bolt issues that many seem to have and feel like this is likely the issue. I am going to crawl under and try to pinpoint the sound and have a look around and if I can't I will probably take it to a mechanic. My question is if I need to replace some (or all) of the OEM bolts is there a quality aftermarket kit out there? I have heard of folks using bolts from Lowes and so forth but I would like to know if there is a high quality bolt kit readily available. Thanks!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Tick tick

I don't know about aftermarket bolts but when mine started making the tick I found that 3 of my exhaust bolts had the heads broken off. My mechanic pulled the manifold and replaced the broken bolts, tick gone.:smileup:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm going to try to look some time in the next few days but I bet I will find something similar. Do you know if your mechanic bought OEM bolts from the dealer or what? Did he replace the gasket? Thanks!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Bolts

I'm pretty sure he used new OEM bolts. And for sure get a new gasket. Once you remove the manifold the old gasket is useless.:smileup:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was under it already yesterday so I had my wife come out and start it up. I crawled all over while it was idling and had her to rev it a little and I couldn't isolate it. I also looked at the manifold bolts that I can see and feel and they all looked/felt okay. I did notice that the manifold gaskets look new...still a nice shiny silver...but the bolts are all rusty like the manifold. Is it typical for the gaskets to retain that new look or have mine been replaced at some point? I also noticed that the passenger side manifold to exhaust flange appears to be a little crooked....like the bolt on one side is tighter than the other side...so maybe I will start with new flange gaskets. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the engine off, take a shop vac and put the hose on the exhaust side of the vacuum cleaner and put the other end of the hose in the tail-pipe. Make sure it is snug so no air escapes.Turn it on.You should be able to pin point your leak in the exhaust system using this method.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, this is an old thread. But I am still having this problem so thanks for posting!

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I have had the truck to two different mechanics. One says he hears nothing and the other says I hear it but it's normal. No, it's not normal. I'm pretty certain it has gotten ever so slightly worse. Seems to be loudest on the passenger side, especially when you are passing anything on the right side of the road for the sound to bounce off of. Also, I started it up with the hood up on a cool morning a while back and saw a very faint wisp of condensation from the passenger manifold area. It was very faint and stopped before I could try to track it, lol.

Is there any reason the manifolds would need to be milled or surfaced if I have someone pull them off and replace the gaskets and bolts? I would like to just replace them with some headers but $$$ is an issue right now and I'm afraid there may be some manifold bolts that have to be drilled out when the time comes which will cost even more.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was quoted a min 2.7 hrs for repair, plus bolts and gasket... then machine the manifold at $110... they set labour at 4 hrs so to cover any unexpected removal problems, but the total was around $550 parts and labour.. With the cost of some shorty Pacesetters on ebay.. you might as well just replace the manifolds with some headers and not be worried that the manifold is cracked and you need to buy a new Mopar one at around $290... These are Canadian prices etc.. I am currently deciding what to do for where and what I purchase here in Canada as the ceramic coated headers are more and because they don't cover warranty for any sort of road abrasion rusting I may look at getting a SS set.. possibly the Gibsons.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got this exact same problem right now, it drives me insane!

The mornings are the worst for mine and then I can notice it slightly as I drive around but after the trucks warmed up I can only notice it at low rpms or when I start to drive from a complete stop

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine seems oddly consistent. Doesn't really seem to matter what the temp is. I can't hear it at idle or even light throttle but when I get into it the slightest bit, it starts.

As Danstona said, I really think my best option may be to invest in having some shorties installed. I just don't have $500-600 right now to spend on something that is only irritating me and not really causing an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Necro

Sorry for Necro'ing such an old thread. But. I am having this issue.

Not the Hemi tick. As it doesn't go away.
I have remove the wheel, and wheel well liner, and checked the manifolds on each side. and I have two broken bolt heads. on the passenger side, and one on the driver. I wonder. If I welded a new bolt head into the bolts (inside the block still). Would I just be able to tighten them, and have the sound gone? Or. Would I need to back them out, and get new gaskets?

·
Registered
362 Posts
have you looked at hooker headers? a shop in winnipeg quoted me $510 for ss hooker long tube headers installed. if your gonna go with a set of headers i'd highly recommend you get the best so your not always having issues and replacing them every couple years. i know gibsons are good. but hooker has been making headers alot longer and they are about the best out there.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only did a quick search on Ebay, Summit, and the Hooker Headers homepage but I didn't find anything for our trucks. Maybe I just missed it.

Pacesetter seems to be about the cheapest reputable header company I have found. Their shorties are about $275 and their longtubes about $300. These are the painted versions. The ceramic coated versions run about $100 or so more. Even going with the shorties....$275 + $50 worth of OEM gaskets + an install that will likely be infused with broken manifold bolt fun...I don't see any way of getting out for less than $500. If you can find someone to put a quality name brand stainless steel long tube on for $500 you should probably jump on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts