DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so recently I had my oil changed by a service place that left the vehicle low on oil. I don't want to get into how or why and I don't want to get into the negligence of the situation but basically where the vehicle holds 7 quarts after 2 months and about 2, 000 miles on this oil change I had about a quart and a half in the truck.

after we replaced the filter and the oil I developed a tick that sounds like it's coming from the lifters on the passenger side. I drove it for a while hoping it would pump backup because it's obviously hydraulic lifter but when the lifter did not I change the oil again and use some Lucas. After I use the Lucas and drove it about 20 miles The Tick went completely away.

After another 50 to a hundred miles The Tick came back. The oil pressure never lost pressure when the oil is low and I can get the tick to go away after I start the vehicle I can rev the engine to 3500 RPM and the tick will go away until I stop the vehicle again.

My question is is this drivable and if not my mechanic that I usually use (not the same mechanic that left the oil ridiculously low) says that I most likely will need to put an entire new engine in it. this is based on him just listening to it for about 2 seconds. Literally the only noise is making is a tick that sounds like it's right up by the lifters on the passenger side of the vehicle. And like I said once you rev the engine up and get it going the tick seems to go away completely.

Is this drivable and if not, why? And do I really need an entire new engine for what sounds like a lifter tick?

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
All he did was listen to it? He didn't put a gauge on to check oil pressure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. He said alright man open the hood and start the vehicle so I did that and he leaned over and said oh yeah I fix these all the time it's definitely a bad camshaft and possibly a bunch of other things so we are going to have to put a new engine in it.

so that's kind of why I came on here because I don't have a loss of power I just have the nasty tick noise that actually comes and goes. I would think if it was the camshaft taking it was going to take no matter what and it's not going to just go away when I rev up the vehicle.

so I'm checking on here if anybody knows if this was just a cash grab and he was just trying to get an engine replacement out of it or what

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All he did was listen to it? He didn't put a gauge on to check oil pressure?
Nope. He said alright man open the hood and start the vehicle so I did that and he leaned over and said oh yeah I fix these all the time it's definitely a bad camshaft and possibly a bunch of other things so we are going to have to put a new engine in it.

so that's kind of why I came on here because I don't have a loss of power I just have the nasty tick noise that actually comes and goes. I would think if it was the camshaft taking it was going to take no matter what and it's not going to just go away when I rev up the vehicle.

so I'm checking on here if anybody knows if this was just a cash grab and he was just trying to get an engine replacement out of it or what

1 - 5 of 5 Posts