DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I collected my 2013 5.7 (140km's) from the dodge shop. They just finished addressing the original cold start ticking issue, which they say was the exhaust manifold.

This morning I started the truck up and still heard the same ticking noise, which lasted 30 seconds or so the went. Any ideas as to why this is still happening?

·
Registered
54 Posts
A lifter most likely, very common issue, I have it. Some oils quiet it. Tons of information on it out there. What kind of oil do you run?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The shop that did the oil change just said it was 5w20 synthetic

Well, if it indeed is a lifter there are many many many threads and posts on this. My personal experience i will tell you is extensive. Alot of us have experimented with everything from additives to many different types and brands of oil. I bought my truck 4 months ago not knowing any of this. Iv'e now changed the oil 3 times myself and the dealer i bought it from changed it before i bought it. I know WOW right. Well what if i told you the oil i finally settled on that many recommend cost me about 90 dollars! And thats doing it myself. Its Redline 5W30 and a Royal Purple oil filter. Once changed they say give it 1500 miles to do its magic. I can tell you now my engine is so much quieter already. These people really know what there talking about. Now for the rest of it, to make the dealer keep you in warranty they may not be thrilled with 5w30 in a truck the manual says only 5w20. You may get around this by saying I tow a lot, i think its ok to put in 5w30 then. Anyway they claim its too thick for the MDS system but many many of us are running it without issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well, if it indeed is a lifter there are many many many threads and posts on this. My personal experience i will tell you is extensive. Alot of us have experimented with everything from additives to many different types and brands of oil. I bought my truck 4 months ago not knowing any of this. Iv'e now changed the oil 3 times myself and the dealer i bought it from changed it before i bought it. I know WOW right. Well what if i told you the oil i finally settled on that many recommend cost me about 90 dollars! And thats doing it myself. Its Redline 5W30 and a Royal Purple oil filter. Once changed they say give it 1500 miles to do its magic. I can tell you now my engine is so much quieter already. These people really know what there talking about. Now for the rest of it, to make the dealer keep you in warranty they may not be thrilled with 5w30 in a truck the manual says only 5w20. You may get around this by saying I tow a lot, i think its ok to put in 5w30 then. Anyway they claim its too thick for the MDS system but many many of us are running it without issue. Good luck.
I'm up to 570 miles on the Redline 5W30 and she's as smooth as silk. No check engine lights either. As far as the warranty goes my wifes Explorer use 5W20 so I'll just save the receipts from that oil if I have any warranty issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm up to 570 miles on the Redline 5W30 and she's as smooth as silk. No check engine lights either. As far as the warranty goes my wifes Explorer use 5W20 so I'll just save the receipts from that oil if I have any warranty issues.
Awsome on the 5w20 scam, im doing the same thing. Buying it putting in the wifes Honda and keeping the reciepts for me.:hah:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts