DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been driving the truck much, but today I was doing some maintenance, and decided to use the remote start option, since it has been sitting for over a week now. It was ticking for only a few seconds, and it was quiet afterwards. Was this just a situation where the oil had drained into the pan, and just needed to recirculate? I'm hoping it's not a sign of something more serious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have the same issues with my 2011. Turns out I have the infamous busted exhaust manifold bolts. When the engine is cold metal shrinks and exhaust escapes making a "ticking" sound and when the motor warms up the metal expands and reseals and the tick goes away! Might want to check that. I was actually relieved it was that and not a lifter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes the tick goes away rather quickly because everything expands just enough to seal itself as it warms up, maybe 30 seconds or so? Can sound an awful lot like a "dry" lifter on initial start up that sometimes also goes away as soon as the oil starts pumping. I've had several SB Chevy engines that suffered from hydraulic lifter bleed off after sitting a while, getting off topic here. Easiest way in my opinion to verify its manifold studs is to reach in With the engine cold so you don't burn yourself) and try to finger twist the studs that hold the heat shield on on the front and back of the manifold. My back ones just free spins which means they are busted off in the head which in turn means happy happy Joy Joy I get to remove busted studs without the use of a welder!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I have not been the victim of the broken manifold bolts, at least to this point. The tick goes away in only 2-3 seconds, so with that and your description of the lifter bleed off, I believe it's that. But, can that be avoided, or is that a common issue with most V8 engines?

·
Registered
13 Posts
In older engines it was easy to ad a thicker oil. I used to run 20w50 in my 350c.i. Chevy's in the summer. You don't dare to do that with modern engines though because the tolerances are so tight in them you'll drop a lifter or spin a bearing so fast. Short of replacing the noisy lifter not much you can do about now days. The Hemis use roller lifters on them so it can be a little pricey and even then no guarantee that will fix your problem. I have seen brand new lifters right out of the package make noise and and lot of people make the mistake of not soaking them for a few hours in oil so they fill up with oil otherwise you get a dry lifter on start up a it causes them to fail prematurely. In my opinion ( and this is just an opinion) unless you notice a difference in drivability or the noise gets much worse there is no harm in running it the way it is you just have to deal with the tick noise which is why my stereo goes to 50!

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it goes away in five seconds, don't stress about it. If it ticks at idle after driving 20 miles you may have problems. Skinny block Chebbies, lifter tick was how you could tell they were running. Max Wedges and Elephants made so much other mechanical noise, you couldn't hear lifter tick or rocker arm clatter.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it's gone in 2-3 seconds. Other than that, it is very quiet (except for the exhaust) and runs very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 and have that ticking on startup, but goes away in less than 20 to 30 seconds. I'm not looking forward to tackling this job. When I do I'm going to swap in a set of shorty headers and ARP header bolts. I know the headers are not poplar for the most part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm thinking about going the shorty headers route myself. I found a set of reman BBK's as a kit for $20 more than what a all new stock set-up would be. My only hesitation is the noise level because she already barks pretty loud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far I have not been the victim of the broken manifold bolts, at least to this point. The tick goes away in only 2-3 seconds, so with that and your description of the lifter bleed off, I believe it's that. But, can that be avoided, or is that a common issue with most V8 engines?
Hemi's(which are famous for that tic on start up) do that. My 2003 hemi does it on start up but goes away in about 2 to 3 seconds

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, it's gone in 2-3 seconds. Other than that, it is very quiet (except for the exhaust) and runs very well.
The situation you are describing probably due to the lifters having collapsed after sitting for an extended time and it does take a second or two for them to pump back up as the engine starts. Some engines just more prone to this than others and it seems the Gen 3 Hemi is one of them. Grew up driving old Nailhead Buicks and they would do it too an never any worse for the wear.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after some research, I purchased some additive (Liqui Moly), added it to the oil, and it's been much quieter since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts