DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raced the truck last Friday again and it'll for sure be my last time taking this down the 1/4. My best pass of the night was mid 15's with minimal spinning, I tried some 3rd gear burnouts to really heat the tires up. DA was 4200ft which I know is awful, with that DA calculator under perfect conditions it's showing high 14's. Seems fair to me.

There was 3 other newer rams there as well, 2 of them were on 35's pretty much bone stock running high 15's. Chances are they had 3.21 gears as well. I had that combo on my 2014 and it was a dog, my current truck is 2.5 sec quicker 0-60. I have no idea how I'm only 3/10th's quicker with smaller tires, more mods and 3.92's. Maybe the 3.92's kill the mid/top end?

I've seen vids of crew cabs running high 13's with just a tune, it baffles me. I know I'm not running a custom tune which is the only difference but there's no possible way a custom tune will take an additional full second off my current times. I've seen a dyno sheet with the edge pulsar putting down 25rwhp running the 91 oct. tune. Hell I was talking with an older guy there with a newer style reg cab with a cam, water/meth injection, headers, tune and 28" slicks and he was running 12.9's.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You should never be doing that type of burnout on a street tire. Street tires become very slick greasy when you overheat them, and all they really need is a quick spin to clean them off.

The mods listed in your sig add basically no power. A stock Rebel is good for about low to mid 15s. Like I said in the other thread, the track is the heartbreaker. It's the great equalizer. It's why some people choose to race dynos.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Your times make sense to me all things considered from what I have seen and done with 4th gen trucks IRL. You are overheating the tires though, street tires do not like being hot and really don't need more than a little spin if you picked up some gravel.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should never be doing that type of burnout on a street tire. Street tires become very slick greasy when you overheat them, and all they really need is a quick spin to clean them off.

The mods listed in your sig add basically no power. A stock Rebel is good for about low to mid 15s. Like I said in the other thread, the track is the heartbreaker. It's the great equalizer. It's why some people choose to race dynos.
Good to know for the tire aspect, I agree for sure that it's a heart breaker haha. I always thought the 8 speed hemi's had the advantage until I see other bone stock half tons (Cough cough F150's) running a full second quicker.

I'm more annoyed how guys on 35's are so close with my times. Comparing this truck's performance to my previous 2014 on 35's is day and night. It wouldn't even be a race.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your times make sense to me all things considered from what I have seen and done with 4th gen trucks IRL. You are overheating the tires though, street tires do not like being hot and really don't need more than a little spin if you picked up some gravel.
I've been following the incredible hemi on youtube for a while and he was getting into the high 13's with just a hemi fever tune, intake and exhaust. With 3.21 gears, mind you I think he was below sea level in elevation. I'd love to know how he was pulling those times in his crew cab. A new supercharged GM 5.3 (Said he was making 550hp at the crank) was putting up those times at my local track, launching hard.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Good to know for the tire aspect, I agree for sure that it's a heart breaker haha. I always thought the 8 speed hemi's had the advantage until I see other bone stock half tons (Cough cough F150's) running a full second quicker.

I'm more annoyed how guys on 35's are so close with my times. Comparing this truck's performance to my previous 2014 on 35's is day and night. It wouldn't even be a race.
I've been following the incredible hemi on youtube for a while and he was getting into the high 13's with just a hemi fever tune, intake and exhaust. With 3.21 gears, mind you I think he was below sea level in elevation. I'd love to know how he was pulling those times in his crew cab. A new supercharged GM 5.3 (Said he was making 550hp at the crank) was putting up those times at my local track, launching hard.
The DA difference is MASSIVE and doubly so for NA engines. Those fords come factory with forced induction that is calibrated for fantastic average power that puts them on par with the 6.4 truck hemi in terms of actual performance, the 5.7 has no chance since while it may have an edge WAY up top in the revs the Ford will kill you up to 4000 and you won't be able to catch it in them. Same story when my dad attempted to race my truck with his RCSB 8 speed 3.92 hemi that is a full 1000lb lighter than my truck, he had top end but my engine even with only about 380hp (first version) had such an enormous average power advantage (I make as much TQ off idle as the hemi does peak) when we honked off the horn his truck stayed "still" and I pulled two lengths and he simply could not get them back before 100mph. That's the advance to making power everywhere in the rev range not just the last 25% like the hemi does, you can negate this disadvantage with a high stall TQ converter but mpg, heat, manners, and "twichness" are all going to suffer.

The ecoboost is a high strung monster when looking at stuff stock to stock, it is really a 6.2-6.7L engine in terms of effective output.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My truck runs 15.10 bone stock at altitude. The da were I race starts at 2700ft. my best runs so far are at around 3600 corrected. I'm damn happy with that

·
Registered
2 Posts
Raced the truck last Friday again and it'll for sure be my last time taking this down the 1/4. My best pass of the night was mid 15's with minimal spinning, I tried some 3rd gear burnouts to really heat the tires up. DA was 4200ft which I know is awful, with that DA calculator under perfect conditions it's showing high 14's. Seems fair to me.

There was 3 other newer rams there as well, 2 of them were on 35's pretty much bone stock running high 15's. Chances are they had 3.21 gears as well. I had that combo on my 2014 and it was a dog, my current truck is 2.5 sec quicker 0-60. I have no idea how I'm only 3/10th's quicker with smaller tires, more mods and 3.92's. Maybe the 3.92's kill the mid/top end?

I've seen vids of crew cabs running high 13's with just a tune, it baffles me. I know I'm not running a custom tune which is the only difference but there's no possible way a custom tune will take an additional full second off my current times. I've seen a dyno sheet with the edge pulsar putting down 25rwhp running the 91 oct. tune. Hell I was talking with an older guy there with a newer style reg cab with a cam, water/meth injection, headers, tune and 28" slicks and he was running 12.9's.
Are you racing at Castrol or the Hat?If you're at Castrol you should of seen acouple of low 12 sec regular cab 4X4 Rams.There's a mid 12 4X4 regular cab that runs at the Hat fairly often,there's also a R/T running at SIR at Saskatoon that's a mid 12 truck.There are the odd quick Rams in Alberta my little 4X4's best at Castrol is a 12.21

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I am far from an expert on racing
So i have a question

If you take two Crew cabs, with the same stock engine & transmission
Ram #1 has stock tires & the 3.92 rear differential
Ram #2 has tires that are 1" larger than stock height & the 3.21 rear differential

Does that lower the rear differential ratio in Ram #2 to be much closer to the 3.92 ratio of Ram #1 ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking back at time slips that would of been on August 10th,and it would of been me you were talking to that night with Red 4X4 regular cab shortbox.I ran one tire spinning 12.9 that night,the rest of the night the truck was running 12.6's.There should of also been a blue R/T there with Sask plates also running 12.6's/12.7's that night.I don't have a water/meth kit on mine,but you nailed the majority of it's mods.It was a horrible night DA wise,and the DA didn't account for the really bad air quality we were having from the forest fire smoke we had that night.Normally mine runs in the 12.2 range,and it was off a full 4/10's that night,so on good day,you could probably take another 3 or 4/10's off your numbers,your truck is fairly quick,and comparing your numbers to the guys in Texas is just gonna disappoint you,as they get DA numbers well below sea level at the right time of year,we're lucky to get DA numbers under 3500 ft most nights at Castrol

·
Registered
988 Posts
Gear ratio

I am far from an expert on racing
So i have a question

If you take two Crew cabs, with the same stock engine & transmission
Ram #1 has stock tires & the 3.92 rear differential
Ram #2 has tires that are 1" larger than stock height & the 3.21 rear differential

Does that lower the rear differential ratio in Ram #2 to be much closer to the 3.92 ratio of Ram #1 ?
Ram#2 would actually have an even higher ratio(say 3:10) with a 1" taller tire than Ram#1. The taller tire would turn less revolutions thus making the ratio even further away from that of the 3.92s.

·
Registered
998 Posts
]

Ram#2 would actually have an even higher ratio(say 3:10) with a 1" taller tire than Ram#1. The taller tire would turn less revolutions thus making the ratio even further away from that of the 3.92s.
Correct, plus trying to turn more rotational mass. Heavier tires are a huge killer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking back at time slips that would of been on August 10th,and it would of been me you were talking to that night with Red 4X4 regular cab shortbox.I ran one tire spinning 12.9 that night,the rest of the night the truck was running 12.6's.There should of also been a blue R/T there with Sask plates also running 12.6's/12.7's that night.I don't have a water/meth kit on mine,but you nailed the majority of it's mods.It was a horrible night DA wise,and the DA didn't account for the really bad air quality we were having from the forest fire smoke we had that night.Normally mine runs in the 12.2 range,and it was off a full 4/10's that night,so on good day,you could probably take another 3 or 4/10's off your numbers,your truck is fairly quick,and comparing your numbers to the guys in Texas is just gonna disappoint you,as they get DA numbers well below sea level at the right time of year,we're lucky to get DA numbers under 3500 ft most nights at Castrol

Yep that was you, I thought I saw a water/meth fuel cell in your box. I can agree that the DA was terrible that night, not to mention I think it was close to 30 degrees. I'll be back next year with more mods, I'm eyeing up the 550hp package from Davenport. Hoping to get into the low 14's if I cheap out and just do some longtubes and a custom jay greene tune. No clue what that davenport package would run, maybe high 12's?

I've been following boosted hemi on youtube for a while, he's running mid 12's with just a procharger around 2500ft DA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts