DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 6.4 has a tiny oil filter on it. My F150 had a filter twice the size. Anyway has anyone found a filter that offers more capacity? looks like there is plenty of room for a larger 1.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Best thing that you can do is send a sample of your oil to a lab. I know we all think bigger is better, but the Ram engineers get the big bucks to figure it out. Here is a test of a sample at my first 5,000 mile initial dealer oil change. They tried to get me to go to 10,000 miles, btw. Ok it's an EcoDiesel, but, I've always done this with my previous hemis. 650,000 trouble free hemi miles. The labs can catch a problem before it gets bad. At least before you go to a bigger filter, see how the stock one is doing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
I found this, but i have not double checked to verify
Claims they are for 2018 Ram 2500s

Genuine Mopar Oil Filter
Part Number: 4892339aa
Fits 2.0L, 2.4L, 2.7L, 3.5L, 4.0L, 5.7L, 6.4L engines depending on vehicle application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOPAR 4892339AA
Small Oil Filter Is Used Due To Clearance Issue With Radiator Hose

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
It has the same oil filter as the 5.7 - if you are thst worried send a sample to blackstone.

Size is not the only factor.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah they went to electric power steering in 2013 on the 1500s, and the rack took up space under the oil filter so they went to a smaller filter for the 5.7s. The big filters still fit, and are what I use, but I am not sure if the small filter is just what they went to for all the Hemis, or if the 6.4s get a bigger one.

The Coyote V8 in the F150s takes more oil (7.7 qt) than the Hemis do (6.4 and 5.7 both take 7 quarts), because its DOHC and holds a lot of oil in the heads

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thks guys that is what I was wondering, in the old days we did that all the time. My old 440 Challenger could use long or short filter, always used long, but the Ram filter was even smaller than these.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree the filter is pretty small on my 6.4 Ram. I just changed the oil for the first time today in my new Challenger that has a SRT 6.4 and the filter is larger than my trucks filter. On the Challenger I upgraded to the SRT filter SteelHorseCowboy mentioned above.

I honestly don't know if the larger filter will fit my truck. I need to be a contortionist to remove and replace it. The Challenger is super easy to reach the filter. It was actually the easiest, cleanest oil change I've done in awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts