DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals,

I apologize - I know this must have been asked 100s of times but being originally from the UK, and having a very light winter last year in Ontario, I could use some good advice on tires.

I'm rolling on the OEM 20" Wrangler HPs right now, with 10,000km on them. I'm starting to consider whether it would be smart to ditch these for winter and either a) get a second set of rims (probably 17" steel) and put some full on winter tires on them or b) replace them with a decent set of all-seasons. I've done a fair bit of googling on the Wrangler HPs and they seem to be universally despised. They are pretty healthy looking on the tread right now (as you'd expect), and do have the M+S symbols on the sidewall (does this mean sh*t?).

I might add I will more than likely be driving across to Maine this Christmas and am concerned about these tires not being up to the task.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 08 work Ram and always switch to full winter tires. Bought a 12 for personal use and plan to do the same. Winter tires make a big difference! Going to 17 inch tires on steel rims seem like a good set up to me.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well I know the cooper zeon ltz tires are pinned for studs depending on how much snow you get. the wrangler duratrac is a good snow tire from what my friend told me he has them on his jeep up in MA and travels to NH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I pulled the GY h/p's with 500 miles on my truck...for one the are horrible,and 2 they should never put a P rated tire on a truck in my opinion...I put load E Nitto trail grapplers on....they are a little taller but look so much better

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
+1 those goodyears they put on these trucks as trash. Well unless all you use it for is getting groceries and other things you could do with a car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

I think I will get myself a decent set of winter tires on 17's and keep the Goodyear's on the 20's for summer use.

What's the deal with the TPMS on these trucks when running non-standard rims? I'm guessing it works via a transponder on the rim so would just throw an error when on the steels?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
ron86toy...those are Terra Grapplers instead of Trails aren't they? They do look really good on your truck. I like the taller size.

To the OP.....I hate to throw my opinion in when it sounds like you have already made your decision but......lol. I think I would consider getting rid of the HPs altogether. They are known in particular for their lack of wet traction....some folks say to the point of making them unsafe. That being said, you have been driving on them for 10,000km so you should have an idea of how they do. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I just got a set of Goodyear duragrappler 285/60r20's. they hum a little more than my 305/55 zeon ltz's but the traction in mud is better. I would recommend them as the light hum was a good trade off for the good look and so far great tracrion in rain and some light mud.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A bit late but whatever...

I think you're wasting time and money with two sets of tires. Not to mention storing the second set for half the year. There are plenty of truck tires on the market these days that do everything well to bother with all the hassle. Leave all that nonsense to guys with sports cars and luxury imports. =)

I can personally vouch for Hankook's Dynapro ATM RF10 tire. Best tire I've had on any vehicle. Period. I put a set of these on my 2wd Dakota and it changed how that truck handled in every possible way for the better.

You're worried about snow? These tires do not let go. Not once. Not ever. And I don't baby it in the snow either. I'm the lunatic that goes blowing by at 60 mph when everyone else is going 30.

These are very quiet on the pavement despite their aggressive look. They wear well and Hankook was(when I purchased them. not sure now) claiming 50k mile tread life. I recently traded my Dakota and the Dynapros had 38k on them. I have no doubt there is at least another 15k on those tires before they need to be replaced.

I sound like a Hankook salesman...oi vey.

These tires were a new model when I bought them, so I did so with very little consumer feedback. Do a google search today and you'll find literally hundreds of positive reviews.

I swear I'm not a tire salesman lol. Just trying to save you money and headache. If it were me, I'd happily dump the Badyears and put on a set of Hankooks or Cooper Zeons.

Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,
As I just ordered a set of Blizzaks today, I will have to throw in my vote for winter tires. You can compare a quality winter tire to any other tire for staying pliable in cold temperatures, handing snow and sticking to ice. You can go to TireRack's youtube page and take a look at the difference in handling between the cars with, and the exact car without winters on.
It is true that you may get away with not "needing" them but it is about reducing risk.
I believe that once you go to winters you will wonder why you didn't get them earlier.
If cost is a factor then go on Kijiji and find an used set of the 17's with 265/70/17 (I think) winters.
If anything else, this will cause your "summer" set to last twice as long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts