DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a tire cupping problem with their truck? My tire has a even cupping throughout the tire on the front passenger side tire.
I took it in to get an alignment because the tire was cupping and because I had just bought the truck. The alignment place told me that the alignment on it was damn near perfect and that there was nothing wrong with the trucks suspension components. They said the cupping comes from the tires that the dealer put on the truck were used. I think they are wrong. I'm thinking it might be a worn upper ball joing or tie rod end on it. Will a used tire continue to cup deeper once it has started? :feedback:

·
Registered
82 Posts
most likely a week shock, rotate the tires and listen to the noise behind you for a while. But cupping is almost always shocks, if not worn, not stiff enough.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most likely a week shock, rotate the tires and listen to the noise behind you for a while. But cupping is almost always shocks, if not worn, not stiff enough.
Thanks. I will change the shocks out this weekend and rotate the tires. Any recommended brand shocks for the truck. Or is it on to just use the regular shock from autozone?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I liked the Monroe Reflexes on my Exploder, haven't had to do shocks on the Ram yet. Probably dependent on how you drive and whether or not you tow.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Cupping on one tire is uncommon. Feathering however, is not. Got a pic of the tire in question? Check to see if there is any sign of leakage from the shocks and if they're dry, pull them loose and see if they are indeed bad before replacing them. Also, do you have a copy of the alignment spec sheet?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the difference between cupping and feathering? I will have a pic up in a second. And I didn't get the spec sheet from the alignment place. I just took their word for it that it was ok. I figured that they had the opportunity to charge me for an alignment and didn't so they were telling me the truth.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I replaced my shocks about 6 months ago with Pro comps and I hate them, you would think i replaced them with sticks! I have a 125000 on my truck, long wheel base and I am going back to the dealer and buy the oem shocks. I was always kinda proud that my truck didn't bounce your molars out on the freeway and after changing them all I can say is Holy cr**! Remerson is right though, after posting I started thinking about the pulling to one side. What factory specs and truly aligned can be two different things. Factory specs allow alot tolerance but a good front end man can pull it in where it truly belongs, tighter than factory tolerance. It may just need to be tweeked a little. Good luck, my friend.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of tires are they ? I had problems with my Goodyears cupping and once i put BFG's on it the problem has never happened again .
They are some Goodyear Tracker 265/70/17. I plan on buying new set of tires in a month or so. I wanted to make sure that I don't mess the new tires up on the truck once I get them on there.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Well we have some good points on here. Its alomost like a coin toss. Do you wait and put the new tires on and see if that corrects it or put new shocks in?

I would definatly put new shocks in since they are not that expensive. Go with some Bilstein HD they are good shocks. After that if it still does it wait and get the new tires you were going to get. If that dosnt fix it then its something else haha

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys. So, I went and bought some shocks today before I looked at the old ones. The shocks I used were Gabriel Ultra from Auto Zone. When I took the old shocks off, the one on the passenger side only raised up halfway after I fully compressed it. I posted a picture below. Rotated tires and took it for a test drive. It seems like is fine for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts