DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2012 ram 1500 slt big horn and I think it said 35 psi but it had like 40 psi in it and it goes upto about 42/43 psi...is that ok?
how do people run their psi? too much is bad and to little is worse..suggestions.??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Forget the sticker on the door! instead take a look at your tire info!

For normal driving on highway and around town you want 80% of your tire max capacity, so if your tire said 44 psi max pressure you want to put 35-36 psi. You will want lower pressure while doing off road and higher if doing towing

Remember that this is the pressure when the tire is cold so it's normal if you get 3-4 psi increase after only driving a few miles.

·
Registered
747 Posts
For the OEM tire brand and size the door placard will be your best bet to get you where you should be. Once you change tire size and brand then you will want to reference the tire manufacture for the proper pressure to run.
The best way if you are looking for maximum tread wear is to chalk the tire. Run a chalk line across the tread, take it for a spin and reference the chalk. Too much air the chalk will be worn away more in the center, too little pressure the outer edges will be worn away more. Worn evenly = optimal pressure.
I never got as far as chalking my tires, but I referenced Toyo's site to get the propper tire pressure for my truck using their floatation chart and the vehicle placard in my truck, 50psi was what was recommended for my 35x12.5x20 M/T's. Tire pressure should always be checked when the tires are cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts