DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for all of you new owners. When I got around to manually checking my tire pressures on my new RAM Sport, they were all in the 45-48# range. Check your pressures, since the PDI doesn't always pick this stuff up!:doh:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just a heads up for all of you new owners. When I got around to manually checking my tire pressures on my new RAM Sport, they were all in the 45-48# range. Check your pressures, since the PDI doesn't always pick this stuff up!:doh:
You beat me to the post. I checked them on the EVIC while on the road and they were at 45 psi. I thought it was odd, but you never know. I then checked the label on the door and it said they were supposed to be at 35 psi. I checked them cold, and they were at 42 psi. Deflated to 35 and rides much better.

The same thing has happened to me with other new buys. Not sure why the dealers do this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Must be a factory fill thing. After getting bounced around for the first week, decided to check mine and they were all at 42 cold. Much better ride at 35.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Same here, mine were all at 42 psi cold. Max pressure is 44. I only noticed they should be lower after a nail caused my tpms alarm to come on. The tire was repaired and I set all mine to 36, it says 35 right on the drivers doorpost! You'd expect the dealer to catch this!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Lack of knowledge, I guess...or dirty business since they'll wear out quicker in the middle.
Not sure about the dirty business side of it. If the tires have worn out because of over inflation then you aren't checking your tire pressure enough so that would be your fault, not theirs.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
New cars [from production to dealership] almost, always have high tire pressure.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Can't say for sure, but a friend who works at a used stealership told me they over-inflate the tires on vehicles because it makes the steering feel lighter, more precise and responsive on test drives. Less contact patch=less road input and friction.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My EVIC says 40 front 42 Rear. I wondered why the ride was harsh. Won't the TPI give a warning for all 4 if I lower all pressures to 35#? Or does it just warn when 1 is lower than the others. I gotta let some gas out, now!:LOL:

Jim in Pa

·
Registered
487 Posts
My EVIC says 40 front 42 Rear. I wondered why the ride was harsh. Won't the TPI give a warning for all 4 if I lower all pressures to 35#? Or does it just warn when 1 is lower than the others. I gotta let some gas out, now!:LOL:

Jim in Pa
The TPMS will warn you for under inflation, not deflation.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They over inflate the tires because they're sitting on the lot for months at a time. Lower pressures cause you to get flat spots faster.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Last night I lowered the pressure in all tires from 42# to 35#. Drove to work this morning and what a huge difference in the ride quality, so much better. Like the original OP said, "Check your tire Pressures"

Jim in Pa

1 - 20 of 25 Posts